P35-DS4 video card problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS4 video card problems

My Gigabyte P35-DS4 is giving me all kinds of problems with video cards. Depending on the video card, one of the following things happens when I try and install it:

1) The video card driver install fails half way through, giving an error message
    2) The video card driver install fails, freezing half way though. I have to do a hard reset
    3) The video card driver installs successfully. However, upon reboot the computer will freeze at the Windows splash screen.
    4) The video card driver installs successfully. However, upon reboot, I have "stuttering" problems in Windows. That is, every 10-20 seconds windows freezes for about 1-2 seconds then resumes. When it freezes I can't type or move the mouse
    5) The video card driver install successfully and the card works fine. Certain cards seem to work fine with the board.

The card I'm currently trying to get working on it is a MSI 8800GT. No matter what I do, either problem #2 or #3 occurs. I've tried both the drivers on the CD ROM that came with the video card, as well as two sets of drivers from Nvidia.com. I've tried a clean install of Windows XP SP2, I've updated the BIOS to F12, I've downloaded the newest motherboard drivers from Gigabyte's website. Nothing seems to work.

Every card I've tried boots into Windows fine, its the process of the driver install which messes things up.

The 8800GT tests fine on another computer I have, which has an ABIT socket AM2 motherboard. Drivers install fine, and the card works.

Any suggestions? I'm considering an RMA but not sure if I should try anything first

GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
    Intel E6600
    2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 RAM
    2 x Western Digital 640GB
    Sound Blaster X-FI
    Visiontek ATI TV tuner
    Corsair 520HX power supply

and various video cards...currently using an EVGA 7900GS which works OK

Re: P35-DS4 video card problems

Do you have "Intit First Display" set in advanced BIOS options? It is not the default setting.

And other then that are you sure your overclock settings are all stable, such as voltages and timings?

Another thing I would do, overclocking or not is Manually Set the PCI Express Freq. in MIT to 100

And, Is everything better with your soundcard removed? I see some issues related to this, just a thought for testing before you decide to RMA. I would also be sure it is not the BIOS causing this before RMA, have you tried F10 and F11 lately with this new card?

Comment

Working...
    X