GA-EP35-DS3R Suspend problems - power off or endless cycle on resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35-DS3R Suspend problems - power off or endless cycle on resume

Hi, first time poster here. I figured i'd post my problem here since there are gigabyte rep's in this forum. I am a regular at anandtech forums and posted my problems there, but haven't gotten much help.

After setting up my PC and installing Windows XP SP2 and all the drivers, including gigabyte motherboard drivers on CD, i tried putting my PC into suspend (S3) state. upon resuming, everything seems to be okay, but in a few minutes, my computer powers off completely. If i turn my computer on again, once i get into windows, after a few minutes it will power off again. This loop will continue until i turn off the power supply completely for a few minutes then power on again. I am NOT overclocking any component on my board. I have all the power saving features enabled, such as C1E and EIST. My RAM is also NOT overclocked. everything is stock. I believe this is an issue related to the motherboard or BIOS. Another time this happens is when I try to run Dynamic Energy Saver software (DES). within the first few minutes of activating the software, the computer powers off completely similar to if i am resuming from S3, and the only way i can make the computer functional again is if i power off the power supply for a few minutes.
    Sometimes, instead of just getting powered off, i encounter what many have been encountering here- endless power cycle, and the only way to get out of that state is to unplug/power off the power supply.

In summary-
    When suspending my PC in S3 , upon resuming, computer powers off completely within a few minutes. Powering it on again will just make it shut off within a few minutes in windows.
    When installed DES software, upon activating it, computer powers off completely within a few minutes. Powering it on again will just make it shut off within a few minutes in windows.

The only way to get out of this loop is to turn off power supply for a few minutes then turn it back on.

Can someone, anyone please vouch for me here and tell me that they are encountering the same problems I am? I have exhausted every test procedure that i know of and can't think of anything else. I've emailed gigabyte through their troubleshooting ticket thing and they say they could not replicate the problem. I've tried the f2 and f3beta bios. I am pretty frustrated and it seems like my only option would be to get a different motherboard.

Here are my specs
    win xp pro sp2
    e8400
    gskill 2x2gb pc1000
    seasonic s12 600W
    BFG 8800gt
    raptor 160gb
    wd7500aaks
    sound blaster xfi elite pro

Re: GA-EP35-DS3R Suspend problems - power off or endless cycle on resume

Sleep/Resume is a known GA issue, I suggest NOT using it and disable it so you dont do it on accident and end up needing a RMA

Comment

that's depressing.

Comment

Look up the specs for your memory chips and note the recommended voltage. In the bios set the DDR voltage appropriately. Also add +.1 volt to mch. Try it now, it should suspend just fine. The Gigabyte boards can be very sensitive to DDR voltage even when not overclocked.
        Last edited by techtype; 03-27-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I Would also try disabling "Legacy USB storage Detect" in the BIOS unless you use a usb device to resume the computer. That may help as well.

Also, keep in mind not to keep trying this too often, as this is one of the factors of the reboot cycle and this RMA

Comment

eh, i am gonna use this board on my sis's build. i picked up an abit ip35 pro and i'm not looking back. it's been great. my sister is gonna get an E6300 CPU so hopefully there better not be any compatibility issues! thanks for all your help

Comment

Does anyone have this working on EX38-DS4? I also have the reboot cycle (power cycle) problem with my board when resuming from S3 suspend in Vista. I've tried:
              • Disable HPET
              • Disable Loadline Calibration
              • Disable Firewire
              • Raise Memory Voltage
              This new machine was supposed to be a HTPC so it is important to have S3 working. I would not have bought if it was clearly stated this was a known issue.

Comment

i had the same problems, think it was ram voltages were too low, think raising them fixed it, (in the link it says what i changed)

i upped my ram voltage by 0.4, so it was running at 2.2v (that's what my ocz ram is rated at)

been sleeping fine since :)

Comment

Re: GA-ex38-ds4 Suspend problems - power off or endless cycle on resume

anybody tried the F4a bios to fix the S3 bug suspend problem reboot cycle on the ga-ex38-ds4

Comment

what ram do you have?

if it's ocz, up the voltage by 0.4, worked for me

Comment

Re: GA-EX38-DS4 Suspend problems - power off or endless cycle on resume

Wooohooo, the F4a beta bios fixed my problem with S3 suspend on my Q9450 with 2 x 2GB of ram.

Comment

I've given up on Gigabyte. I got an Abit IP35-Pro and it is ten times better user experience to work with. My 5 years with Gigabyte has come to an end.

Comment

Working...
                        X