GA-X38-DS4 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X38-DS4 Issues

I've recently purchased this board and put toegther a new system. After an initial couple of good weeks though, the MB (i presume) has started acting up.

The big problem i think is that there is some sort of AHCI BIOS issue as problems mostly seem to occur when my DVD drive isn't recognised on boot. The SATA AHCI BIOS load screen straight after the Gigabyte load screen will half of the time find my 2 hard drives but not the DVD RW i have. I have a hard drive in each of the first 2 SATA ports, the DVD drive in the 3rd. I have also tried reinstalling the DVD firmware but i am still having the issue.

I have also had a blue screen of death in Windows (XP) and on several occasions, the PC has locked up for a minute or so either in Windows or whilst booting Windows, looking like it has hung, but things will then kick in again as if nothing has happened.

I've heard from a few sources since that this board was discontinued due to issues, so am i one of the unlucky ones who needs to RMA?

I've got a G0 stepping Q6600 inside overclocked to 3.2Ghz with A Thermalright Ultra-90 heatsink (120mm fan attached) running at effective 1600FSB (as the board is supposed to support). The RAM is PC6400 running at stock (1:1) ratio, so everything should be nice and stable i think. I have tried both the F2 and F3 BIOS but to no avail.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Re: GA-X38-DS4 Issues

Please post your timings and voltages here, maybe you just need a little adjustment, sounds like a overclock issue possibly to me. The board was only discontinued to make way for the same version of the board with DES support, not because of issues.

Do you use AHCI features? I mean if you are not hot swapping there isnt much point to even install and use it. What is your dvd drive IDE or SATA? I would if I were you put the 2 drives onto the gigabyte ports and use the intel one for dvd drive, maybe that will help as well

Comment

Re: GA-X38-DS4 Issues

What is your pc include?

Comment

Working...
      X