GA-MA69GM-S2H has trouble with Samsung 750GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA69GM-S2H has trouble with Samsung 750GB

Just built a system with the GA-MA69GM-S2H paired with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB HD. When I start the computer, sometimes the Samsung isn't even recognized w/ the BIOS. If I just shut it down (hold power for 4 sec.) and start it right back up, sometimes it'll catch it and boot just fine to Windows. Then sometimes it won't catch it on the 2nd restart, so I go into the BIOS' Advanced Chipset features, mess w/ the SATA mode, like switch it to AHCI, then restart it, go into BIOS again, and set it back to Native IDE, and then it boots fine. I was willing to keep trying to troubleshoot this until this week, when I got a "hal.dll missing or corrupt" message which prevents Windows from starting.

Before I reinstall Windows, I want to know if this is something I've got set wrong in the BIOS that I've just missed, or if maybe I just got a bunk drive from Samsung. I'm past the RMA time for Newegg (where I purchased most of this from), so before I try to start up a exchange w/ Samsung, I thought I'd check in here.

TIA,

Luke

Re: GA-MA69GM-S2H has trouble with Samsung 750GB

Are you overclocking? Sometimes this will mess with Drives and getting into windows, especially if not done properly.

If you are not, or KNOW you are stable then I would be thinking about the drive RMA. I have never used Samsung, KNOW FOR A FACT WD SUCKS!!!!! And ONLY use Seagate myself

Comment

Nope, no overclocking. AMD 5000+ running stock w/ 2 gigs of XMS PC 6400 ram.

Luke

Comment

Well, If I was you I would do a Clean install, sometimes this helps far more then you would expect. And is cheaper then a new drive!

Let me know how you get along with it all

Comment

I did read someplace that if you make the drive boot w/ AHCI turned on when you install Windows, you will perpetually have problems, and that might be what I did. So now when I force it to boot in Native IDE, it trips out. I think I'm going to get it to boot in Native IDE, do a fresh install, and cross my fingers.

We game TF2 w/ this bad boy on a 46" Samsung flatscreen and then watch movies in Blu Ray (ATI 3870 card). It rocks, for any of you planning on building an HTPC that you can game on. The ATI 3870 has it's own sound chip, too, and we run picture & sound over an HDMI cable. Silverstone SG01 case, too. Looks sweet.

Luke

Comment

Yeah I switched from ide to AHCI without a reinstall and hated it, then tried it separate and it was better. So yeah maybe a clean install no AHCI would be better.

AHCI makes things slower I think, but I didnt test it much, I use RAID now, and have NCQ drives that do NCQ without AHCI anyway

Comment

Working...
            X