GA-P35C-DS3R won't POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35C-DS3R won't POST

I know this seems like several other current threads, but my problem seems different. First off, I built this machine about 6 months ago. It is:

P35C-DS3R rev 1.1 mobo - unsure of BIOS, but I hadn't updated it in awhile
    4GB OCZ ram - (2 2GB sticks)
    Intel 6850 CPU
    Antec smartpower PSU
    GeForce 8800GT
    2 SATA HD's.

I dual boot XP and Vista (mostly XP). It's been running rock stable with XP. This weekend I pushed the power button to bring it out of standby, and the fans fired up as usual (GPU card fan goes to 100% and is quite loud), but did not drop to low levels like usual. My monitor did not wake up, and from what I could tell, the drives were doing nothing. There it sat. It didn't reboot, just hung in that loud fan status.

I turned it off (4 second off via power button), and tried again with same result. I then turned off the PSU, waited, and tried again - no good. Then I had to leave, so I forgot about it. Later that day, I come in, hit the power switch, and it starts up like nothing ever happened. It was fine for the next 2 days.

Then yesterday, it happened all over again, except this time it appears to be permanent. I've tried everything I can think of to narrow it down, but my gut is pointing to motherboard. I reseated everything, I pulled out a stick of ram, then both... I unplugged everything unnecessary to operation. All to no avail. I reset the BIOS, etc. If it were a component issue (and really, the only one it could really be is the CPU), then it never would have come back from the dead in the first place. I also do not have a PC speaker in my case, so if it is throwing an error beep, I have no way to hear it.

Gigabyte - If you could please help, I would appreciate it.

-Damian

Re: GA-P35C-DS3R won't POST

Can you remove all etra components, just leave VGA, 1 RAM stick, 1 hard disk (or RAID if you have that). Then power off board and physically remove the power cable, reset the CMOS.
    Wait for 5 minutes before plugging back the power cord, then try switching on...

Best to buy a PC speaker also, there are not many times when you would need this, but when you do, not having one just leaves you stuck.
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Spec - I actually did try that - It was part of my unplugging unnecessary components ritual. I physically unplugged the system after leavint just the VGA, HD, and 1 stick ram, went and had dinner, then plugged it back in. Same result.

Comment

I suggest you do a vista repair, and if that works Dont use sleep/resume anymore AT ALL it is a known issue with gigabyte boards, and a known vista issue as a OS itself, SP1 is said to attempt to fix this but who knows.

Did you try the one ram stick in all of the slots seperately? And I do suggest you flash to the latest BIOS for your board via USB stick or floppy since you cant get in windows, then load optimized defaults and reboot

Try to borrow from a friend a case speaker, or grab one on ebay if you can. Best to see what error code it is throwing before you think about a RMA>>>

Comment

I'd love to do an OS repair, but seeing how the system won't even post I don't see that as an option. I'm not in Vista when I go to standby. Regardless, this is happening from a powered down state. I tried moving the ram to all slots with no difference. I can't update the BIOS, as again, the system won't even post.

Comment

remove all components that are not necessary and try one stick of RAM in all the slots [as in one stick in one slot at a time] This board has lots of memory voltage problems that i experiennced when i got it. Mine would only boot with 1x 1GB stick in slot three untill i got into the bios and changed the memory voltage.

Comment

Does anyone actually READ the first post in these threads?

Comment

Yes, we do. We are trying to help sorry if we have overlooked something when trying to make suggestions!

Sounds like then the only thing you can do is get a case speaker and see what the error is, before you do a RMA. Without a case speaker to hear the error you are never going to know if it is just something silly or serious and may or may not need a RMA. Speakers are only 2-5$ if you cannot get one at a local store, or order one on ebay I suggest you try to borrow one from a friend, or tear into a old pc in your closet/basement/anywhere before choosing to RMA the board as that may take some time

Comment

Working...
                X