PCI Latency Timer (CLK) Clock Settings + MCH/NB Voltage Values Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI Latency Timer (CLK) Clock Settings + MCH/NB Voltage Values Request

This is for anyone to answer, but I hope Janus will also answer in on this one

What is this setting exactly for, and what should it be set at?

32 by default I see, should it be increased for better performance or lower is better performance?

And >>>>>

@ Janus, is there ANYWAY that gigabyte can Add in the actual starting or default values for FSB and MCH/NB voltages so we can see what we are actually adding +.5/+.1 to?

For example>>>

MCH
    Default voltage 1.25.........+.5------1.30 < < < Actual
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-18-2008, 06:31 AM.

Re: PCI Latency Timer (CLK) Clock Settings + MCH/NB Voltage Values Request

I googled and found this on the PCI Latency Timer.

Normally, the PCI Latency Timer is set to 32 cycles. This means the active PCI device has to complete its transactions within 32 clock cycles or hand it over to the next PCI device.

For better PCI performance, a longer latency should be used. Try increasing it to 64 cycles or even 128 cycles. The optimal value for every system is different. You should benchmark your PCI cards' performance after each change to determine the optimal PCI latency time for your system.

Please note that a longer PCI latency isn't necessarily better. A long latency can also reduce performance as the other PCI devices queuing up may be stalled for too long. This is especially true with systems with many PCI devices or PCI devices that continuously write short bursts of data to the PCI bus. Such systems would work better with shorter PCI latencies as they allow rapid access to the PCI bus.

In addition, some time-critical PCI devices may not agree with a long latency. Such devices require priority access to the PCI bus which may not be possible if the PCI bus is held up by another device for a long period. In such cases, it is recommended that you keep to the default PCI latency of 32 cycles.
    Last edited by Xpoc; 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM.
    Xeon W3520 / Gigabyte X58A-UD7 / Sapphire 5870 / 6Gb G.Skill Perfect Storm / WD 500Gb / Corsair 850HX

Comment

Hmmm well now I am more unsure what to change it to, but thanks!

Maybe I should Poll users on what they use

Comment

Janus Hello, I see you here today, Hope you can answer this. If you cant explain the PCI latency any better for me, can you please tell the voltage values for the MCH and NB so I can know what they start out at?

Thanks Much

Comment

Well i will talk about MCH/NB Voltage Values to our rd.
          however i am not sure they will think it is necessary

Comment

Can you at least tell me what they are for P35 boards so I can know myself incase they do not think it is necessary. And they actually should think it is necessary for ALL voltage values, except maybe ram. But really ALL should be there for users who do not know what they are doing!

There is a guy here just posted a few days ago, and thinks + .7v on DDR ram is 2.2v, and does not believe me, and wonders why his RAM is so hot.

For that reason alone I think all values should be clearly marked just like the default CPU value shows there

Comment

Comment

Right!!!!!

My point exactly, and if they think it is not needed, why is that?????

Comment

sorry, my mistakes,
                  i still will let our rd know your need...

Comment

Yes, thanks Janus. It is important to users who do know how to overclock, and especially needed for those who do not. I see often people trying to use far to much and not knowing what it is actually adding up to In actual voltage values
                    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-25-2008, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Janus.

I can asure you that many gigabyte users here in Portugal want to know the voltages too.

Comment

Thank you, but sorry I may need time ^^.

Comment

Thanks Janus! I know you are probably Very Busy. Time isnt such a big deal, getting it done is.

So Please Make sure they Do this (If you can) and THANKS

Comment

Dear Lsdmeasap

finally i get the answer, we will do it in P45 MB.

Comment

Ahhh, well that is no good for P35 Motherboard users! Thanks for getting them to answer you though, it is much needed info!

I had thought of buying a x38-48 I guess I should wait, so when is P45 expected to be released?

Comment

Working...
                              X