P35C-DS3R - IDE Recognition Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P35C-DS3R - IDE Recognition Failure

Hey, well I hope that board was just the issue. I guess you did find the easiest way to test it, a new board!

Good luck!

Comment

It appears to have been my old board!!

Following its replacement by the ga-p35-ds3l, things have gone fine and all of my drives have been recognised. With this being the case, I decided to also install an old IDE HD I had kicking around the house. This all went well but I've been experiencing extremely slow data transfer when copying to it from either of my SATA drives. I'm talking about maybe 40 mins to move 4gb..which most definately isn't right.

DMA is turned on and functionning on the drives, my channel mode for the sata ports is native not legacy, the IDE cable's fine, the board's new, the drivers are up to date, the BIOS is the newest stable (not beta), I've got no RAID setup, and I'm on XP so I've got no ACHI to confuse things and requrie extra drivers etc....

Do you have any idea as to what could be the bottleneck?

Comment

The old SLOW drive with it's probably 2mb cache

Ohh...Sorry

And it is VERY NICE to hear your new setup is working.

Does your drive do that if it is the ONLY one in the IDE cable? And did you set the jumpers on the drives right? The IDE ones?
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-01-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

So purely just the fact that it's an old drive?

I changed to my current SATA drives following the use of the slow IDE drive, and I can't recall noticing such a huge performance increase at the time. I guess it does make sense though...SATAs are the way forward and old drives just don't cut the mustard.

All that's left for me to do now is set up my partitions and indulge in some overclocking! A good clean install and quick components are begging for a few weeks lost to playing Crysis! :)

thanks for the appreciation of the new setup and marvelling in it's working-ness. It was good trying to isolate the problem via these forums, although I did finally give in a get a new board. The jumpers are set up perfect on the drives, and even though the IDE HDD is slave (my DVDRW's master and I unplug the HD when not in use;hence a fail-safe backup), the transfer's slow when just alone on the cable.
          Last edited by a4092940; 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah that is likely it, Old IDE drives are slow and have very small cache compared to new large SATA ones. How large it that IDE? If it is less then 80 or so then it likely only have 2 mb cache, and 5400 RPM speed, whereas you SATA drives are probably 7200 RPM with 16 Mb Cache at least.

I would sell the IDE and get a SATA for your extra drive/storage and get that IDE one out of there, you can get a used one on ebay for 50$ for around 160-250GB drives. Or brand new at newegg 250 for 64$

Comment

I'm almost 100% sure of replacing it with a SATA drive...I've just gotta save some money first following last week's mobo purchase. The IDE's about 150gb and it's a Hitachi Deskstar (HDS722516VLAT80) with 8mb cache and 7200rpm [ http://www.hd4less.com/hide7k16uaha1.html ]

It does seem strange but maybe it's on it's way out. I'll replace it with a SATA asap

Comment

Hmm, well yeah it should not be that slow either, but you never know moving from sata to IDE thru the same controller may mess with something and cause it to be slower. Ya, A new drive is a good plan anyway.

Comment

...Here's another strange one for you too

I've created two partitions, one on each of my SATA drives, and both at 122,989.8MB (according to partition magic). I've placed 89.5gb of data onto these disks E and F, yet checking the properties of the drive, I've used 91.9gb and 94.8gb.

I can't see any hidden files that may be causing this extra size and so I'm querying if there're any other files which may have been (unneccesarily) created? They've been defragged to hell and back so it's not free space being caught up between files etc.

Comment

Are you sure the EXACT Data only is on each? And are they both JUST storage drives?

One may have more desktop.ini files (Which is only a few kb) and one may have more Thumbnail.ini files then the other

You can use a app to compare the partitions/folders to see what is different, such as UltraCompare

Or this one is freeware/trial Comparator

Comment

The exact same data is definately on both drives. I downloaded and ran the software which you recommended, and it came to the same conclusion, aside from a few small files which would no way combine to give me the 2.9gb of difference.

I've formatted the bigger partition and am in the process of copying the data back across now. I'll post when it's done and I've checked the sizes.

Could it be that one partition is extended logical (i.e. c, then D), and that the other one is primary (E, f, g)? ----> to explain this by the way, C and D are one drive, E, F, and G are the other, and it was the comparison between D and E which caused my post #38.

thanks
                      Mike

Comment

Ok then. I copied the data across to E after formatting it, and XP now reports I've got 30.3gb of free space there. I then formatted D and copied the data from E back across to it.

Thus, I've now got my patitions sorted out, the free space is equal (what you'd expect from two partitions of the exact same size). I wonder why there were different total file sizes last time? I'll put it down to the mysterious ways of Windows :/

Comment

Ahh ya know what, I forgot to mention that maybe was there a recycle bin in one that you didnt notice? Without hidden files enabled you wouldnt see it, and I dont think that app would either.

Anyway, Good to hear you have it all sorted out!

Comment

Working...
                          X