Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-(E)X38-DQ6 - waking up from sleep in Vista ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-(E)X38-DQ6 - waking up from sleep in Vista ?

I am going to buy GA-(E)X38-DQ6 or Aus P5E. I would prefer Gigabyte MOBO (at least because of better extension slots placement) but have hesitations:
    When you wake up the X38-DQ6 system from sleep under Vista:
    - does graphics card wake up with slow (2D) fan speed? Or it wakes up with high (3D) speed? I ask because I previously had one Gigabyte board and when I woked up system, the fan on graphic card was turning at high speed making a lot of noise. In my opinion it was a bug. (In 2D mode my graphic card is not audible and it works like that after booting Vista).

Secondly on my previous MOBO (GA-X38-DS4) I had a problem with pc-speaker which buzzed for a few second when waking from sleep (ACPI: S3) under Vista. It was a warning that CPU-Fan was stopped for a few second while system was being woken from sleep. The only way for this was to disable FAN-Fail warning in BIOS. Is it the same on GA-(E)X38-DQ6?

Finally I wonder if temperatures on MOBO chipsets in (E)X38-DQ6 are acceptable, and not threatening longevity of chips.

Please post and suggestions even not strictly replying my question - as I am strongly tempted by GA-(E)X38-DQ6 but on the other side I expect Asus P5E to be more reliable in technical details.

Regards,
    Mark

Re: GA-(E)X38-DQ6 - waking up from sleep in Vista ?

Well, Sleep I see as a issue on GA boards. At least from what I see and read most cannot get it to work at all. I have not heard much news about the newer boards though but I dont think it has been fixed.

I do hear Asus boards are just a mess of RMA's here the past 2 years so I would suggest against that, just my opinion.

I suggest a Gigabyte board, and dont plan on using sleep. With todays boards, CPU, and Ram there is no need. I mean your system would start just as fast from a cold boot up as it would from a resume standpoint.

NB temps, I havent had any issues with since P965 boards, I am using a P35-DS4 and my temps are 32-24C at 1700FSB but I do redo all my boards before I install them with TX-2 paste under alll heatsinks. So you may want to think about that if you are worried about temps

Comment

Re: GA-(E)X38-DQ6 - waking up from sleep in Vista ?

I have a GA-X38-DQ6, no major issues with sleep on XP/Vista.
      Fans run on normal/idle speed with coming out of sleep, then speed up slightly as Vista's Aero kicks in and raises temps a little.

The only issue that I did notice on Vista is that after a long sleep - say about an hour plus, the system comes out of sleep, but my monitor takes a little time to realise that the system is working now, it remains blank for more than a minute, but if i switch off and switch on the monitor, that gives it a kick and it shows the desktop....
      Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
      Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
      16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
      Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
      I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X