ga-p35-ds3l optical drive problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-p35-ds3l optical drive problems

Okay, this is driving me nuts. My dvd burner will not work. Vista doesn't recognize any disks put in it, and sometimes the drive will crash explorer.

This is not a Vista problem. And it's not a hardware problem with the drive. I've tried 3 different drives so far (2 SATA drives, and 1 IDE drive) and all have the same problem. I've also completely disconnected my hard drives and it won't boot from the Vista disk - says it's not a valid boot disk (it is, I installed Vista with it). I've tried different SATA cables, and all four ports on the board. The PSU voltages all look good. I've updated the bios to the latest version.

I really don't know what else to try. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm going nuts.

Also, if I end up having to RMA the motherboard, any idea if newegg will cross-ship so I don't have to go a week or two without a computer?

Thanks in advance.

Re: ga-p35-ds3l optical drive problems

Newegg will cross ship, if you get on the phone with them and complain enough. I have had it done twice.

When you only have your vista hard drive installed, are you sure you go back in and set it to be the boot device?

Comment

Thanks for the tip with newegg.

I'm not sure I understand the question. When I tried to boot from the vista disk, I tried every configuring from dvd drive only to dvd + 2 hdds. I made sure it was first in the boot order, and even manually selected to boot from it. It would either skip and boot in to windows (when hdd's are connected) or will just give an error saying the disk is not a bootable disk (when only dvd drive was connected).

I should mention that my first drive worked fine, and then this started happening. I assumed it was something with the drive, so I ordered a new one. It worked fine for a month or so, and then started acting up. I RMA'd it, and the replacement did the same thing. Finally I brought in an IDE drive from work and it has the same problem....

At a loss for what to do, other than to rma the motherboard and hope that fixes the issue.

Comment

Hmmm, well I thought you meant vista wouldnt work for you now too. Just the drive then eh? Hmm well after replacing it with the others did you try different cables? Maybe you have a cable going bad? If happens

Have you tried, while in vista, uninstalling the drive and letting vista reinstall it? You can do this by going in safe mode (Which is the better way to do this) and then control panel, device manager, find and select the drive, then choose uninstall. And yes to delete drivers if asked. Then reboot into windows normally and let windows update the driver again. If it doesnt do that on its own, go in device manager again, right click your computer and choose scan for hardware changes.

Also, have you installed the latest .Inf drivers from intel for your board? They are here>>>

Rev. 2.0 (And 1.0 Same drivers)

Comment

Yeah, I've tried different cables, and uninstalling/reinstalling the drive in Vista. I'm pretty convinced it's a not a Vista issue since the drive won't work even without hard drives connected (and thefore without Vista interference at all). I've also updated the drivers with no effect.

Thanks for the help so far though!

Comment

Hmm, well that is strange especially since you tried other drives as well.

Have you cleared Cmos and installed a untouched BIOS to see if maybe you changed a IRQ or something else on accident and disabled it?

Comment

I haven't tried that, I can give that a shot tonight when I get home.

Comment

Unfortunately that didn't do it. I guess I'm going to have to end up RMAing the board and hope that takes care fo the problem. Now I just need to talk new-egg in to cross-shipping.

Comment

Good luck, it takes some major complaining but it can be done for sure

Comment

Working...
                  X