Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P35-DS3P default BIOS RAM voltage too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3P default BIOS RAM voltage too high?

For the last couple of days I've been having multiple problems with this computer - frequent BSOD, multiple program crashes, etc, all pointing to a memory problem. Memtest reported hundreds of errors in a few minutes.

I have 4 1GB sticks of generic ram rated at 1.8v according to CPU-Z. I updated my bios from F6 to F9 without a problem but this didn't help.

Lastly I tried adjusting the voltage using Easytunes and decreased the voltage from 2.2 to 1.8 volts and my windows problems appear, for the moment, to be resolved. Memtest in Windows runs without any errors now. However, when I reboot the voltage is back to 2.2v which seems to be the minimum I can set in the BIOS.

Is there a way to make the BIOS accept a 1.8 v setting? Why don't my Easytunes remain in place from one reboot to the next?

Re: P35-DS3P default BIOS RAM voltage too high?

Easytune is not the way to be trying to change settings. EasyTune should be a "Look and see" or something you use to maybe test a setting or 2 before actually going in the BIOS and making the real change. All in All do not use Easytune to set anything and expect it to work or stay that way

Get in the bios, hit "Control + F1" and then go in M.I.T. section and set your ddr voltage to auto that is 1.8 or you can set it to +.1 to be 1.9 because depending on what ram and cpu setup you are running auto may be setting it way higher then you want

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've started to experience errors again with the RAM despite it testing fine in another PC. I'll try your suggestion and see what the result is. It almost seems as if making the computer 'reset' by moving the ram chips around, or changing a voltage setting lets the RAM work properly for that one boot of Windows but once the computer is restarted it has problems again.

Comment

Then you have other timings that are off as well, Auto is not always good. Easytune is definitely not the way to do it either.

Please look thru the guide I have sticked and get familar with the BIOS and it's settings, then if you are still having issues post back all your settings to me here And I will make some suggestions for you to try (If there is extra here leave it out, if there is less please add what is missing from this chart)>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [XX]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
        Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
        Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
        Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
        Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
        Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. I tried out the ideas in your comprehensive guide but nothing seemed to help. I was just about on the verge of returning the system to the store for them to check out when I decided to test the individual RAM sticks again.

I did test them all separately in this system and in another and they all passed Memtest without error. However,when I tried them in various combinations I found that one of the sticks seems unable to 'play nice' with the others and when it is in the system that it causes the errors. It works fine by itself, just won't work with the others properly. What's the likely cause of that? It seems strange to me that it should pass all the test by itself and fail when used in combination (both as part of a pair and not). Anyway, I'll be returning it for exchange tomorrow and will let you know if the system runs fine after that.

For now, although it's running on 3GB in 'flex' mode it seems perfectly stable, even on demanding games and 3D apps.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Ya, I am unsure about why that would happen, but If I was you I would return that set of ram then.

Does it not work in the pairs on either channel? If so I would say something on one of the sticks isnt right

Comment

No, it gives errors in any slot, except when it's used by itself. All the other three sticks work fine no matter where I put them.

Comment

I would then return the set that has the bad stick in it, I say set because most RMA you usually need to return the whole set

Comment

OK, Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X