P35-DQ6 and E8400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P35-DQ6 and E8400

When you set in MIT are you rebooting to see the changes first?

There is Vdrop and Vdroop, two different things. And when looking at CPU-z you will have to account for Vdrop and Vdroop if load, only vdrop if idle.

And Maybe you are seeing Vdrop within the BIOS, like I said some settings do different things at each voltage point, and also depend and vary with Loadline's 3 settings as well.

Nothing for you to worry about at all though

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      When you set in MIT are you rebooting to see the changes first?

There is Vdrop and Vdroop, two different things. And when looking at CPU-z you will have to account for Vdrop and Vdroop if load, only vdrop if idle.

And Maybe you are seeing Vdrop within the BIOS, like I said some settings do different things at each voltage point, and also depend and vary with Loadline's 3 settings as well.

Nothing for you to worry about at all though
      Yes I reboot first and this is completely reproducable every time.

What Vdrop or Vdroop??? That's rhetorical. 1.15 voltage can be set or left in manual as that is the Vcore voltage in my MIT and PC Health always shows 1.204v.

Does yours, or anyone else's, PC Health Status Vcore ever show more voltage than the amount set in MIT??? Does that even make sense???

I suppose I should try to set the MIT Vcore voltage higher to see if the Health Status Vcore is consistently higher but when I saw this situation I decided to see how my system works and the relationships of the bios changes before going higher than 1.15v in MIT.

Considering I can easily overclock to 3.6 at this voltage I haven't gone higher but i will try it as now I am very curious.

Comment

Ok first off not always is VID going to be the default voltage AUTO sets when you install a CPU

Now Vdrop and Vdroop are two different things. One has one o and the other has 2 oo's

Vdrop = Drop in voltage from what is set in BIOS to windows voltage shown/used at idle

Vdroop = Drop in voltage from what is set in BIOS and what you get at full load on the CPU between Idle and load

You will be fine above 1.15 And I do not know why you set 1.15 and get higher 1.24? That is strange.

I can set 0.8 and lower and get that even in windows. I have used up to 1.35 but temps were high. If you want 4Ghz you can likely get it around 1.300 -1.325, of course that all depends on your chip, system wide cooling, ram and all your settings settings

Comment

I have found the sweet spot for my chip/board 1.312 set in BIOS loadline enabled 1.280 in system at idle and load

0.000V Vdroop

But 0.0320V Vdrop

Cant wait to get my water in and go higher with less volts I hope!

Comment

Here ya go, Very in depth explanation you may have read, maybe not. It is Intel Design of Vdroop
            Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums

Comment

You will be fine above 1.15 And I do not know why you set 1.15 and get higher 1.24? That is strange.
              That is exactly what was puzzling me.

I just set the Vcore voltage a few steps higher one step (.00625v) at a time and also set 1.15 voltage and all the results were as expected.

When setting Vcore to manual the Health Status Vcore reads the high 1.204 Vcore. So I think I understand what is happing now.

With Vcore set to manual and the bottom Vcore reading 1.15 volts, I was assuming the MB was setting the Vcore to this voltage. The Health Status Vcore is reporting 1.204v telling me the MB is actually setting the Vcore voltage at about 1.23v in the manual setting.

Though looking at my notes Cpuz read 1.104 volts whether I set 1.15 volts or manual. So maybe its just a glitch in the Bios.

That's motherboard_bios_ga-p35-ds3l_f8a_beta.exe.
              Last edited by Merman; 05-28-2008, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I have found the sweet spot for my chip/board 1.312 set in BIOS loadline enabled 1.280 in system at idle and load

0.000V Vdroop

But 0.0320V Vdrop

Cant wait to get my water in and go higher with less volts I hope!
                Sweet. I look forward to your observations with a water cooling setup. Maybe post it in the overclocking thread??? I don't want to miss it buried in a thread I don't read.

Comment

Here ya go, Very in depth explanation you may have read, maybe not. It is Intel Design of Vdroop
                  Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums
                  Yes, I read all Kristopher Boughton's explanations at that site. He is a little easier to read than the Intel documents he is explaining.

Comment

Ya know when in Manual the bottom shown voltage is not the setting, you must set it yourself. Where is says Normal, that is not what Auto is using nor manual. It is what the board decides it THINKS your CPU needs to run at default and is not VID or the setting used for either manual or Auto.

So basically Ignore that I say, Even in Auto it is not going to be what you will get. Set your voltages normally and Up FSB until you cant boot up then you know you need more vcore. Keep a eye on those temps in RealTemp, and be sure you HAVE calibrated it, if you dont it like everything else will be wrong

Yeah, Ill make a thread for my Water once I get it in, and then a few overclocks as I get them going.

Im using a Zalman 9700 right now and those by far are not the best air coolers so I think my chip will go pretty high. I can boot into vista with my vcore as it is now at 4.2 but I dont like the temps and have watercooling parts on the way so I havent messed with much above 4ghz

Comment

Working...
                    X