Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-P35-DS4 Revision 2: Endless Reboot Issue

Originally posted by tigerspy View Post
    I have this board, and the BIOS (doesn't matter which BIOS revision you're running) doesn't properly detect optimum memory voltage when set to auto.

The board will run the memory at 1.8v in Auto no matter what.

A lot of the higher performance memory right now is running at ~2.2v. What I recommend is to go into the BIOS and manually set the voltage gain on the memory. This board's reference voltage for memory is 1.8v, so if you are running 2.2v memory, then you need to set for a +0.4v gain in the BIOS. Not sure why Gigabyte can't get their BIOS to properly detect memory voltage. I am running memory that is listed in its supported memory list too.

If your board is not running memory at its proper voltage, it will endlessly try to post, rebooting over and over. Clearing the CMOS by unplugging the machine, then yanking the CMOS battery for a few minutes, then put it back in, should allow the board to post and allow you to get into the BIOS to make the needed adjustments.

Good luck!
    +.4 resulted in a consistant 2.26v for me. + .3 results in a consistant 2.16v. A lot of performance ram will work at advertised timings well under the listed 2.2v...even the standard 1.8v in some cases. Even if you didnt want to take the time to see how low you can go and stay stable, I think +.3 is a better option and being a hair under rather then .4 and being a bit over if these boards tend to overvolt it a bit on its own.

Comment

i bought this board and had the same problem, rma'd it and the new one worked, then i swapped cpu's with another mb, and when i put it back in the GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 endless boot, well i then swapped back to the other mb that it worked on a few min before, same thing on that board, never had problems with that board, anyway long story short, some of the fasteners on the heatsink were broken so i help it on the firmly, and bam. it worked, both boards booted, so your problem might be in your heatsink, perhaps a failsafe?

Comment

The same issue with the same MB. Only difference is, that I updated the BIOS under Qflash. And I didn’t even see the “BIOS recovery” on my screen. I can imagine getting a bad BIOS, however from the official site, but the thing is this MB should have 2 BIOSes just for cases like this. Is there a way how to get to the second BIOS?
        I tried all like mgreen481 (same Google results:)), accept to buy a new MB. I hope this is not the only way as I bought mine abroad.
        Gigabyte, where are you?

Comment

Have you unplugged the power supply from the wall and put a hard drive or optical jumper on the clear CMOS pins for 10 minutes, then remove the jumper and plug your board back in?

If not try that, otherwise here is a very in depth method to blind flash that may or may not work, if it does not then you will need to RMA
          Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

Comment

After this thread scared the crap out of me with my own endless rebooting issue, I thought I'd post the solution I found which, so far, seems to be working. It might help someone else.

In my case, the rebooting issue surfaced after I'd switched out a built-in usb card reader. I installed the new reader, and instantly had the rebooting problem. I hadn't had any problems with this mb in the five months I've been using it.

Once I realized I was dealing with a mb issue, from this thread and other Gigabyte threads, one idea I read about was removing the bios button battery on the mb. I took it out, tested it to make sure it wasn't dead, and then replaced it. I wasn't expected much -- but it worked.

The next time I pressed the on/off switch, I actually got to a message on the monitor. I was so shocked, I didn't catch everything it said, but it was something along the lines of 'use last known good configuration'. Since I use a wireless keyboard, I couldn't do anything anyway, so I just let it run.

The final result: everything is back to normal. No side effects, no issues. So far. (I'm not sure whether my bios settings were restored to the way I had them or not. I've forgotten how I set them up originally, but everything seems to be working - so I'm just going to leave them as-is for now.)

Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future.

And, thanks to everyone who posted with ideas about how to solve the problem. Otherwise, I would have had no idea what I was dealing with.

Comment

Hi, same problem here with the same board, however this board ran fine for 2 years, the problem occured after swapping it out to a different case. Tried everything I could think of, even reflashed the BIOS.. no luck. Even with no hardware in it just processor and ram it won't go beyond a BIOS post... never gets to look for an OS.

I also solved the problem by upgrading to a P55 board since I can't wait for the RMA and I also liked the idea of a 1156 machine for the bedroom where this one was going.

Comment

Working...
              X