Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Hey Hey!! :)

New to the forum and I could really use some help concerning the BIOS for the GA-MA790FX-DQ6 and my new Phenom II 965 AMD cpu

For some reason, even though the CPU is listed as supported for this mobo, and I've updated to the latest BIOS (F7d) My cpu shows as 3.4 in the BIOS. Once I boot, windows also states that it is 3.4g under Control Panel>System (I'm running xp 64)

The problems start here...

I load up AMD Overdrive as well as CPU-Z and they both state that each core on my cpu is only running at 800mhz. I thought maybe Cool n Quiet was the culprit, but even when I disabled it, each core still would only clock at 800mhz. Not to mention, I was monitoring the cpu while running Prime95 Stress test, and all four cores ran at 100% load, with a clock speed of 800mhz. Last I checked, CnQ doesn't cap you like this upon load.

I went into my BIOS and changed the multiplier to x16 and saved/exit.

AMD Overdrive then stated that indeed my target speed is set at the listed 3400mhz. yet my current speeds remain and never go over 803mhz on each core, despite these settings.

The motherboard is little over 2 years old. Is it possible that even though it was advertised to run future AM3 socket cpu's, that this just isn't likely? I was told it's possible the cpu is running under a safe-mode, in order for it to allow the system to boot. Perhaps also something to do with the C3 stepping. I was told my tech support that I would have to wait for future updates in order to solve this concerning C3. AMD states that Gigabyte boards of this nature had similar problems, yet they were most often solved with a BIOS update so they don't know whats going on either.

Also another thing peculiar to note, is when I updated with F6 BIOS update instead, my first core (Core 0) ran at 1600mhz, and Cores 1-3 ran at 800mhz. Not sure if that helps, but I did notice a drastic difference in performance when this occured. fps in 3dmark effectively doubled or at the least experienced a 50% increase in performance. But it was still relatively low.

Atm I'm waiting for a new board to get in that is for am3 sockets only, will test the cpu then, but nonetheless I'd like to know if this is able to be solved. I adjusted Power setting in Control panel, nothing it seem I do makes a difference really. Any tips?

Comment

F7D is the beta BIOS, so it may be have some problem, please try to downgrade the BIOS version. BTW, GA-MA790FX-DQ6 can support AM3 CPU, pls check the follow link:

GA-MA790FX-DQ6 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List

Originally posted by redoubt9000 View Post
      Hey Hey!! :)

New to the forum and I could really use some help concerning the BIOS for the GA-MA790FX-DQ6 and my new Phenom II 965 AMD cpu...

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
        F7D is the beta BIOS, so it may be have some problem, please try to downgrade the BIOS version. BTW, GA-MA790FX-DQ6 can support AM3 CPU, pls check the follow link:

GA-MA790FX-DQ6 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List
        Indeed it does say that, and with F7d BIOS (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it with installing it on my current mobo in mind :) I've already downgraded and went through all updates several times to no avail. I used Qflash utility to do all of this. With previous version of BIOS before the F6 update, it simply states all the cores running at 800mhz - except the BIOS nor windows can identify what cpu is installed. Update f6 however does state a phenom II 965 cpu being installed. same as F7d. Yet none of the updates, either downgraded nd then reupgraded, seems to make a difference. As I may have mentioned, The gigabyte tech support rep I spoke with stated that possibly due to C3 complications, that I would have to wait for a further BIOS update in order to resolve the issue. AMD stated that this is a possibility as well. adjusting power in and out of BIOS made no difference. Doing a clean install of windows proved to have no effect either. CnQ doesn't seem to make a difference whether it is on or not. I'm really not sure in the end.

Thanks for the help though :) I've already got the new mobo coming so hopefully it wont cause me much distress XD I'll make sure to update, in case I receive the new board and have problems with it as well - cause it could've just been the cpu the whole time.
        Last edited by redoubt9000; 01-15-2010, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• GA-MA790FXT-UD5P. New box unstable.

Just made a new box (Phenom 965 C2, GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Corsair TW3X4G1600C9D 4GB)...
          I'm not able to make stable this configuration. I've tested several ram speeds and latency configuration. The system hangs or freezes randomly...

Corsair support respond: "if the modules passed memtest (at least 3 loops), then that would usually not suggest a RAM problem. We would suggest you to look into other components as well"... Memtest ran 8:30 hours (9 loops at 1600 9-9-9-24-27 1,8 volts, corsair recomendation) without errors. Memory is ok.

I've ran Prime95 for about 30 minutes (temp processor at 60Celsius and mobo 38) without hangs. Play 3D games, without hangs... Tested with Vista, XP and Linux, clean installations on differents hard drives. In all scenarios ocurrs the same, when i am browsing or editing, or moving a window... it hangs/freezes and must hard reset. No app error, no windows registry error, no blue screen, nothing.

System NEW components:
          AMD Phenom II X4 965 C2 (OPN:HDZ965FBGIBOX SN:9A46091I90036)
          AMD original proccesor cooler (always tested with Artic Cool and Scytek cooler)
          Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (latest bios F7)
          Corsair TW3X4G1600C9D (2x2GB) running in any speed from 800 to 1600, no mathers
          Sapphire HD5850 (tested with an older Geforce 6200 TC too)
          PSU Corsair HX750
          Hard drives (Seagate SATA2 400G, 500G, 1TB; Seagate IDE 120GB, 250GB) with diff OS
          Two differents mouses and keyboards (ps/2 and usb)
          Case Cooler Master HAF 932

Any ideas???
          thanks.

Comment

• help with audio and modem

I have a gigibyte EP45-UD3LR i just got it running i have no audio or cannot get online also trying to get my nvidea card to work im not sure if its a 5800 or 6800 but its a geforce fx ultra agp code-T35F any help will be gratefull thanks

Comment

• Re: GA-X58A-UD7 new build Help

Everything seems to be connected correctly and up and running PSU,Mobo,Fans,GPU ect. However I kept getting a "no signal" on my new View Sonic monitor connected to the Gigabyte HD 5770.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
              <o:p></o:p>
              I thought all I needed to do was ghosted one of my Seagate HD drive from my old system to have the OS on to start my config but after doing this I could not get the system to post or boot to XP Pro at all. Thereby I was not able to load the run the CD's for all the new hardware.

After installing the two Sony Optiarc drives only one worked. I did try to load the Gigabyte cd which came with the Mobo but the Sony Optiarc when ballistic mach 7 like a buzz saw when the disk is not in.....lol<o:p></o:p>
              Here are my current header connections for Sata: <o:p></o:p>
              0 is my HD <o:p></o:p>
              3 working Sony Optiarc <o:p></o:p>

I would appreciate anyone who could enlighten me on what I am doing wrong that is causing the problem? <o:p></o:p>
              Once again thank to the TT forum and Gigabyte for making themselves available.<o:p></o:p>
              Ernie <o:p></o:p>
              Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
              Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Bios (F8)
              Intel Core i7 920 Bloomsfeild LGA 1366 45nm
              Prolimatech Super Mega CPU Cooler
              Gigabyte GV-R577D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
              G. Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-12GB
              Corsair TX 750w
              (1) Seagate 1.5 tr Barracuda
              (1) Seagate 1.0 tr Barracuda
              (2) Sony Optiarc AD-7241S
              Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
              ViewSonic X Series VX2433wm

Comment

• Re: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P. New box unstable.

Originally posted by eb4ctw View Post
                Just made a new box (Phenom 965 C2, GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Corsair TW3X4G1600C9D 4GB)...
                I'm not able to make stable this configuration. I've tested several ram speeds and latency configuration. The system hangs or freezes randomly...

Corsair support respond: "if the modules passed memtest (at least 3 loops), then that would usually not suggest a RAM problem. We would suggest you to look into other components as well"... Memtest ran 8:30 hours (9 loops at 1600 9-9-9-24-27 1,8 volts, corsair recomendation) without errors. Memory is ok.

I've ran Prime95 for about 30 minutes (temp processor at 60Celsius and mobo 38) without hangs. Play 3D games, without hangs... Tested with Vista, XP and Linux, clean installations on differents hard drives. In all scenarios ocurrs the same, when i am browsing or editing, or moving a window... it hangs/freezes and must hard reset. No app error, no windows registry error, no blue screen, nothing.

System NEW components:
                AMD Phenom II X4 965 C2 (OPN:HDZ965FBGIBOX SN:9A46091I90036)
                AMD original proccesor cooler (always tested with Artic Cool and Scytek cooler)
                Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (latest bios F7)
                Corsair TW3X4G1600C9D (2x2GB) running in any speed from 800 to 1600, no mathers
                Sapphire HD5850 (tested with an older Geforce 6200 TC too)
                PSU Corsair HX750
                Hard drives (Seagate SATA2 400G, 500G, 1TB; Seagate IDE 120GB, 250GB) with diff OS
                Two differents mouses and keyboards (ps/2 and usb)
                Case Cooler Master HAF 932

Any ideas???
                thanks.
                Following AMD support instructions, i've plugged the processor in other MB and is still freezing... it seems to be a faulty proccessor.

Comment

• Re: GA-X58A-UD7 new build Help

I had the same problem when i first got my board all hooked up. Im not sure but i think you have new memory if thats the case then you will have to run a new install on another drive or do a simple repair not a recovery console if you have a good o/s disk the boot from that then go through the promps which will tell you do you want to install or recovery console click install then the agreement page will appear hit f8 then it will load files then a screen will appear and it will say repair previous version click yes and that should do it you will not lose any info on drive. if you need anything further give me a call 408-307-5846 jon
                  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Comment

• 945GCM-S2L and x550 VGA at the same time

PC specs:

Intel E5200
                    Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L
                    Gigabyte Radeon x550
                    Win7 Enterprise 32-bit

I would like to use in the same time both the onboard VGA and the PCI-E one. However, this requires the onboard VGA not to be disabled automatically when the PCI-E VGA is detected. I have read the latest manual at the official site, it says that the onboard VGA is disabled automatically and there is no option that would let me choose to enable it or disable, and the "init display first" option cannot give priority to onboard VGA: just "PCI" or "PCI-E/onboard" options. Win7 detects only the x550, in case of using both the onboard and PCI-E VGA it would detect two video controllers (it does so on my Asrock G31 board where I use o/b and PCI-E VGA simultaneously).

Is it possible to override automatic detection of an added PCI-E VGA or force-enable the onboard VGA?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

I'm having problems to attatch my DVD-rw and a samsung 640gb hdd to the gigabyte sata connectors. The bios sees the 2 devices (if i go into the bios), but at boot i finds only my hdd. The hdd is located at port 0, the dvd at port 1.
                      Last edited by Lonelobo; 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Not correct at all.
                        Last edited by Capt Proton; 03-28-2010, 09:48 PM.
                        i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
                        Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

There's a new beta bios for GA-MA790X-DS4 :

F10A Beta bios:

2010/01/14

1. Beta BIOS
                          2. Update RAID\AHCI ROM
                          I disassembled the bios file and it seems that it has updated raid rom from 3.0.1540.22 to 3.2.1540.6.

Hope to have better performance with my SSD's when F10 Final is released.

Still there is no option to increase CPU-NB VID, but i hope someone out there in Gbyte will hear my prayers...
                          Last edited by felix_w; 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

friends, ı get problem

AHCI Drive Init...
                            ID Device Attached
                            0000 WDC WD3200AAKS

Press CtrL+A to enter Hyper Drive Utility

what is this!
                            Computer doesn't start..
                            I bought a new computer and I setup all drivers. Finally, sound driver. Computer asked "do you want to restart computer" I said yes. But now Computer become a fail to start. What I must?

Comment

Following AMD support instructions, i've plugged the processor in other MB and is still freezing... it seems to be a faulty proccessor.
                              HELP PLEASE...

Proccesor replaced with new one (Phenom II X4 965 BE C2), and problem not solved... i focus on memos... they're not listed in Gigabyte "Qualified Vendors List" for my GA-MA790FXT-UD5P...
                              Could it be a compatibility problem?
                              What MEMOS will work from Kingston, or G-Skill in 2x2GB format??

Comment

HELP PLEASE...

Proccesor replaced with new one (Phenom II X4 965 BE C2), and problem not solved... i focus on memos... they're not listed in Gigabyte "Qualified Vendors List" for my GA-MA790FXT-UD5P...
                                Could it be a compatibility problem?
                                What MEMOS will work from Kingston, or G-Skill in 2x2GB format??
                                All the tests you ran do not suggest it's a memory issue, though I'd run Prime95 longer, 8+ hours blend, and couple of hours large FFT.
                                Did you use the same memory on the other MB?

Comment

Working...
                                X