G.Skill XMP problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill XMP problems

G.Skill is the best memory I've ever used but right now I have a slight problem with the XMP profile settings. I currently use the G.Skill Sniper Series 8 GB Dual Channel Memory Module (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2)1600 along with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4TH v1.0 motherboard. I'm running Windows 7 64bit as my operation system. Everything is fine until I try to set the XMP profile in the BIOS. As soon as I get to the desktop my system freezes up. I've run MemTest86 and the ram is perfectly okay. Could it be that I'm using the wrong ram? I know that the particular ram I'm using supports XMP for Intel processors 1,2 and 3 generations. By the way I'm running the Intel i7 3770k processor. Could someone maybe shed some light on what maybe happening here. Thank you in advance.

Re: G.Skill XMP problems

Hi,

Please kindly update the latest motherboard BIOS and try it again to see how it works.

If the issue still occurred, stay with the XMP profile and raising the DRAM voltage to 1.5v

Let us know if you have any problem with it!

Thank you

Comment

Thank you Matt for the help. I had updated the BIOS earlier to the latest BIOS update and I had the same problem so I downgraded back to I believe the F9 update and it's still in beta testing so again thats why I downgraded. My G.Skill memory is rated at 1.25v it's low voltage ram but I believe you are right by what you are saying because I had increased the voltage to 1.350v and it worked for a while with the XMP profile but then started back freezing up. I'll try what you said and increase the voltage to 1.5v. Somehow I believe that's going to do it. I hope so anyway. I will post back. And thanks again.

Comment

Hi Larkin600,

No problem, let us know if you need any other help, if the 1.5v works, you may consider send them back for RMA or keep use it.

Have a nice day!

Comment

Happy to post by bumping the voltage on the memory up a bit to 1.5v did the trick. No more freeze ups. Everything seems to be running quite well. I found out that even though these are low voltage memory sticks at 1.25v some motherboards require a little more voltage and by raising the voltage as Matt suggested was dead on. Thanks again Matt.

Comment

No problem, will try our best to assist you, glad i could help!!

Comment

I have a set of the exact same memory and I too had to increase the voltage to 1.5 to function with the XMP setting. They've been fantastic, don't care that I have to use 1.5 instead of the listed 1.25, I bought them as they were on sale, they work, that's all I want. Every PC I have (6+1 laptop)has G-Skill in it save an older PC that uses DDR2.
              Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
              i7-2600k i7-2600k
              G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
              Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
              EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
              Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
              Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Comment

Some motherboard request higher DRAM voltage to stabilize the system, so the low voltage version memory may not working with it, but the simplest way is adjust the DRAM voltage back to 1.5v. Thank you all for choosing G.SKILL and sharing the experience here.
                Last edited by G.Skill - Matt Wang; 08-26-2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

I have a gigabyte x79-UD3 motherboard and Gskill ram F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL which is apparently XMP ready.

RipjawsX -F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory

However, when i put the XMP setting in Bios the motherboard does not seem to like booting up with it... and it restarts a few times before resetting my bios.

It works fine when I'm not using the XMP settings and I manually set the setting to 2133 and put everything else on "Normal" and "Automatic".

Is there any advantage of using the XMP setting over the manual settings?

Comment

Hi,

Need to make sure that you're using one single memory kit instead of mixing two kits at the same time, mixing kits may cause some incompatible issue.

However, you could try using XMP settings and adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.65v for another try.

Comment

Working...
                    X