Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSKILL Ares Three Channel Problems

Hi guys,

Today I've bought 4x4GB Gskill Ares DDR3 2133Mhz modules to replace my former OCZ modules... so excited!

My board is a Gigabyte X58-Extreme and it runs on triple channel, the plan was to use only three modules in triple channel mode while using the forth one on another computer.

So I installed three ares modules and entered BIOS, Channels B and C were detecting the memory OK but Channel A did not detect it, board reported 8GB of ram, after post the message Incorrect DRAM size appeared and computer restarted.

I've tried enabling setup default settings in BIOS, I've also tried setting timings manualy to 9-11-28 as stated in the modules, I've also tried both 1.5 and 1.65v to no result, Ram module on Channel A would not work.

I then removed the RAM from Chanel A, windows booted with no issues at all, I've tried replacing the module on Chanel A with any of the other Ares modules, same result. Fearing that Chanel A was broken on my board I setup only one Ares module (the one in channel A), computer would NOT reach POST.

I then tried 4x4GB modules on Channels B and C, windows booted normaly and detected 16GB of RAM, as expected.

I was about to conclude that there was definitely an issue on Channel A but (Surprise!) after removing all Ares modules I installed one of my former OCZ RAM modules in Channel A and it worked flawlessly, successfully booting windows.

Whot do yoy guys think could be the problem? more details on my sig.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm using F13s Gigabyte BIOS.
    Last edited by PeterW_R; 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM.

Re: GSKILL Ares Three Channel Problems

Hi,

it's kind of hard for the X58 platform running at 2133Mhz, please try channel A/B/C with 1866Mhz and see if the board still reporting 8GB or not, if the system show correct 12GB, which is mean your board could not supporting 2133 as well, please note!

here is the memory SPEC of your motherboard:
    Memory
    6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory (Note 1)
    Dual/3 channel memory architecture
    Support for DDR3 2100+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-EX58-EXTREME (rev. 1.0)

but at 2133Mhz, it may not fully supported as well. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by G.Skill - Matt **** View Post
      Hi,

it's kind of hard for the X58 platform running at 2133Mhz, please try channel A/B/C with 1866Mhz and see if the board still reporting 8GB or not, if the system show correct 12GB, which is mean your board could not supporting 2133 as well, please note!

here is the memory SPEC of your motherboard:
      Memory
      6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory (Note 1)
      Dual/3 channel memory architecture
      Support for DDR3 2100+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-EX58-EXTREME (rev. 1.0)

but at 2133Mhz, it may not fully supported as well. thank you!
      I've tried both 1333Mhz and 2133 Mhz to no result.

Comment

Hi,

please make sure that you are using the latest version of motherboard BIOS, enable XMP profile 1(or lower the frequency to 1866Mhz) and try again.
        if you still have the same problem, please kindly exchange another kit with the distributor or send a RMA request to G.SKILL RMA department: [email protected]

Comment

Hi,

please make sure that you are using the latest version of motherboard BIOS, enable XMP profile 1(or lower the frequency to 1866Mhz) and try again.
          if you still have the same problem, please kindly exchange another kit with the distributor or send a RMA request to G.SKILL RMA department: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X