No announcement yet.

Macrium Clone Software - Smaller to Larger SSD - Recover Space on Larger Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macrium Clone Software - Smaller to Larger SSD - Recover Space on Larger Drive

I added a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD in the available NVMe M.2 slot on my ASUS E410MAwith the intention of using it as my boot drive, and the original SSD for storage. I installed the Free version of Macrium Reflect on my ASUS E410 laptop to clone the 64 GB drive to the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB drive.
    After cloning the drive, the problem I have now, is recovering the larger space that is available on the 1TB drive after cloning.
    There are 5 partitions on the original drive. The 1st Partition is the EFI partition, the 2nd Partition is a Recovery Partition, and the 3rd partition is the Primary OS. Partition 4 is a Recovery Drive, and Partition 5 is a MYASUS diagnostic partition.
    After cloning, I have 6 partitions on the cloned 1TB drive. I formatted Special to regain, the free space, and there is 873.26 GB on the New Volume.
    I know I can delete the Partition 4 recovery drive, and Partition 5 MYASUS as well, to gain access to the New Volume, but will that mess up my MYASUS diagnostic and Windows 11 Recovery options?
    I would like to make the 1Tb my primary boot drive, and the original boot drive a data drive. When I have the 1TB as my boot drive, do I simply reformat the original drive to be able to use it for storage?

I wrote Macrium Tech Support, and they answered:

If you have manufacturer partitions then you should direct the questions about these partitions to their support team.
    Normally, Windows would require only the partitions explained in the link below:?
    The Windows operating system requires various partitions for normal operation. This article explains which partitions are automatically selected when selecting 'Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows'.
    ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	61
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	981748

?
    When I selected the Create an Image backup task in Macrium, it highlighted all 5 partitions. Do I deselect the Partition 4 Recovery Drive, and the Partition 5 MYASUS?
    I created an image backup using all the partitions(s) checked to the backup and restore Windows option.
    All 5 partitions were automatically checked to be imaged.
    I backed it up to an image file. Should I have de-selected Partitions 4 and 5 before the image?
    After creating the image, I see that restore options for selecting partitions are available. Should I deselect partitions 4 and 5 before restoring to the 1TB drive, so I will be able to reclaim the space added to the partition 3 OS (C:) system?
    I have not done it yet, but I am at that step, as you can see in the uploaded photo.
    Please advise. Thanks!

???
Working...
X