New system build, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system build, need advice

I am currently collecting parts to replace my 8-year old system. I have decided to go with an Ryzen 2700x, Asus Rog Crosshair Vii x470 motherboard and an EVGA 1080 GPU.
    My confusion concerns memory. AMD likes low latency memory and I would like to install 4- 8gb sticks. I have determined through research that 3200 would be the optimal speed.
    Asus QVL has no memory that meets those requirements. I would like to install the G. Skill Flare X or the G. Skill Trident Z. Both are 14-14-14-34. Will memory not on the QVL cause me problems? Any comments or sugestions would be appreciated.

Thank in advance,
    Mike

Re: New system build, need advice

QVL lists are made at the start of motherboard production and never updated. Only a handful of available RAM is tested and put on the list.

Here, from ASUS website for your MB;

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

It will support the 3200MHz RAM you want to use. Every motherboard, Intel, AMD... can be particular about certain RAM. Its very hit and miss, but usually 90%+ hit in my experience. So dont worry. Grab that good stuff you're after.
    Just be aware it prob wont run 3200MHz speed 'out of box' without adjusting settings in the BIOS (UEFI). It will prob default to 2333 or 2133MHz. The XMP setting (if the MB has, which it should) will set the correct settings and make the RAM run at 3200MHz.

Comment

Working...
    X