Poor Support on 5 year warranty MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Support on 5 year warranty MB

..edited for clarity, and I realize I sound like a whiny baby, removed some whining..

I have a Sabertooth Z87, which comes with a 5 year complete warranty and is supposed to be their bulletproof MB. It comes with all kinds of heat sinks and dust covers and was touted as military grade and military standard. 2 years into owning it, the system would randomly shutdown, my first thought was the 32 gigs of "Asus approved" ram was the problem.
    After a lot of slow testing (because the shut downs would only occur every 6 weeks on average, usually 2 in 1 week and then third 3 months later). With the latest testing the system simply will not boot if any of my memory modules are in those slots, but if they are in either of the 2nd bank everything is fine. I finally figured out the problem is due to the 1st bank of slots specifically the slot closest to the CPU.
    Asus support ran me through additional tests to verify there was a problem, and only after the phone call did I figure out that only slot 1 was bad. Due to it being 3 years old and not less than 1 year they will not offer an advanced replacement even with a CC deposit. When I complained that taking this system down for a week, let alone 3 weeks was too long I didn't receive any sympathy. So I'm left with sending the motherboard to them to review and likely replace in 2-3 weeks.
    The down time on the system isn't acceptable to the people in my household, thankfully most of the services that are used in the house are on hyper V clients. Seeing how the only way to service the board is to send it in, does anyone have a suggestion on how to get everything up on a similar MB? Oh and does anyone know if a Z87 board that's still sold as I've only found them out of stock. Or any other advice?
    Last edited by Christobol; 07-11-2016, 07:00 PM. Reason: ..edited for clarity, and I realize I sound like a whiny baby..

Re: Poor Support on 5 year warranty MB

Welcome to the forum.

Newegg and Amazon have several new, used, or refurbished Z87 motherboards for sale and some are in the low $100 range.

You could also check ebay and Craig's List to see if there are any sellers that live near you to cut down on shipping time and cost.

Maybe a local PC shop or computer recycle shop has new or used boards.

To save money, see if you can buy a replacement motherboard where your current memory will be compatible with the new board.

You can probably sell the replacement motherboard for close to what you pay for it or you can keep the board as a long term backup.

Check out LGA 1150 motherboard models (wikipedia) that might also work with your current Z87 memory.
    If you go with a non-Z87 motherboard, make sure that your current cpu will be compatible with the replacement board.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
    X