Booting into Express Gate not Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting into Express Gate not Windows

Whilst I was away, my wife's laptop (N61 JQ) suddenly developed a problem. She had not used it for about 2 weeks. When she tried to start it all she heard was the fan operating and a blank screen. She made sure the battery was charged and also had the power supply connected. I have just returned and that's what I found too. I randomly pressed some function keys with no apparent result. Then I just noticed a faint image which again with some random key pressing brightened up to the Asus Express Gate Screen. Again with some fiddling I noticed that if I connect to the web from that screen, then move to turn the screen off it gives the option to boot into the OS or turn the laptop off. When you select the OS it boots into windows normally and everything works fine.

When you turn it off and next try to reboot same symptoms. Again going through the function buttons one by one until an almost black but faint Express Gate screen appears. By putting off all the room lights and now knowing what that screen looks like I can just manage to click on the web icon after which the screen brightens up immediately. Then go to the off button and after clicking it the options appear and I select the OS. Windows starts as normally.

I tried to get to the boot order settings by pressing F2 during a boot. Initially thought nothing was happening but the just made out a faint screen. Couldn't really see enough to be sure of what I was doing so escaped out of it. It then booted into the above same scenario.

This laptop is extremely well looked after (not like mine which travels to some rough and ready places with my work), so very surprised this has happened. It is only used for a few personal uses but also my company accounts which is the MOST concerning.

Would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rod

Re: Booting into Express Gate not Windows

Just realised that Express Gate IS booting at every start without the need to press Fn buttons. Though as said the screen is very very faint. However if you randomly click on the dim screen you will open something and it comes up to full brightness. You can then hit the close button of Express Gate and the option to boot into the OS appears. If you then continue with that option and press F2 the utility comes up. Checked the boot order. All seems well with Option 1 the HDD and Option 2 the DVD drive. Reselected and saved again but no change to the problem.

There was no mention of the Express Gate booting option on that utility.

Comment

Working...
    X