Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS K50IJ keyboard malfunction

Hello,

I have a ASUS K50IJ, with a Core 2 Duo T5900 Processor and 2048 MB RAM. I am currently running Windows 7 Professional N.
    For the past couple of weeks I began having a problem with my keyboard whenever I try editing a text file or changing a filename, and even now when posting this message :). This problem doesn't occur all the time and I have no ideea if it's hardware or software related.
    Sometimes, when pressing the right arrow key, the characters hge9+ appear where the cursor is and then the cursor moves. If NumLock is turned off, instead of hge9+ only hge+ appears and the cursor moves up the screen, making me believe that the 9 in hge9+ is related to the key 9 on the numeric pad (since whithout NumLock, the 9 key is Page Up). Also, when I press the Delete key, I get the characters 65s'73 and then it deletes the following letter. If I press delete several times, the s is sometimes with CAPS, like this: 65s'7365S'7365s'7365S'73 .
    This is very frustrating, not being able to properly edit any document. The same thing happens when NumLock is off and I press the 6 key on the numeric pad (which is right arrow). I checked that my drivers are up to date, and they are.
    Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thank you very much for your time.
    Paul

Re: ASUS K50IJ keyboard malfunction

Welcome to the forum.

Did you make any hardware or software changes just before your keyboard problems started?

What is the name of your anti-virus program?
    Have you run a deep scan on your system?
    Have you run Malwarebytes or any similar programs?

In windows Device Manager, are there any devices with a yellow exclamation marks?
    What are the keyboard's device drivers for the Keyboard device in Device Manager?

If you boot into windows Safe Mode, does your keyboard act any differently?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

Did you make any hardware or software changes just before your keyboard problems started?

What is the name of your anti-virus program?
      Have you run a deep scan on your system?
      Have you run Malwarebytes or any similar programs?

In windows Device Manager, are there any devices with a yellow exclamation marks?
      What are the keyboard's device drivers for the Keyboard device in Device Manager?

If you boot into windows Safe Mode, does your keyboard act any differently?
      I didn't do any changes. Hardware or software.
      I am running Nod32 Antivirus v 5.0. I tried the deep scan and searching for malware. The problem just started showing up one day, without any changes. At first I thought it was a minor glitch in MS Office but then I noticed it started doing the same thing whenever I edit a text (including changing a file name).
      I don't have any devices with a yellow marker; all of them have the drivers installed.

The Keyboard device has the following driver: Keyboard device filter (Provider: ATK, Hardware ID: ACPI\PNP0303)

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode and the problem doesn't show up. However, since it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes, I can't really reproduce the problem whenever I want to. For example, now it's working properly.

Comment

I'm gonna wait until the problem reoccurs and will try with the on-screen keyboard and an external one to see how they do. Will repost details after trying.

Comment

Working...
        X