Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting together a new AMD build - post your thoughts

my computer build wishlist on newegg

This is what I have put together so far, taking everything into account.

For starters this is a sabretooth board, running with FX 9370 CPU
    I have matched the mushkin ram based on information from Asus on compatibility.

The rest of the build is based on using 1tb ssd to speed up OS and programs
    and finally, there is no video card listed, as I currently have a GTX 750 Ti that I will put into this rig.

Take a look at the wishlist, and see if I am on track for a solid, well performing build?
    Last edited by William Munn; 05-19-2014, 12:00 AM. Reason: corrected url description

Re: putting together a new AMD build - post your thoughts

For starters have you checked the CPU support for your motherboard, it lists the FX-8350 as the highest FX in compatibility with your Sabertooth board. If you want to use the FX-9370 then these are the boards compatible with that CPU: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9. As for the 1TB ssd wow! Why not get a smaller SSD for the OS, a 1TB for your progrms and the 3TB for storage for that amount I think with prices of hard drives now you will make out fine. Check these prices:
    Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, SSDs, Internal SSDs, 129GB - 256GB
    Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, All Desktop Hard Drives, 500GB - 1TB
    Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, All Desktop Hard Drives, 2.5TB - 3TB
    I think going this way you'll either come out with about the same amount spent or close to it by putting just the OS on the SSD and all of your programs on the 1TB and a 3TB as your storage.
    Google your FX-9370 and you'll see what I mean. I did some more research and that CPU is compatible with your board, but on the drives I still suggest the above.
    Last edited by pw2much; 05-19-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Re: putting together a new AMD build - post your thoughts

Originally posted by pw2much View Post
      For starters have you checked the CPU support for your motherboard, it lists the FX-8350 as the highest FX in compatibility with your Sabertooth board. If you want to use the FX-9370 then these are the boards compatible with that CPU: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9. As for the 1TB ssd wow! Why not get a smaller SSD for the OS, a 1TB for your progrms and the 3TB for storage for that amount I think with prices of hard drives now you will make out fine. Check these prices:
      Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, SSDs, Internal SSDs, 129GB - 256GB
      Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, All Desktop Hard Drives, 500GB - 1TB
      Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, All Desktop Hard Drives, 2.5TB - 3TB
      I think going this way you'll either come out with about the same amount spent or close to it by putting just the OS on the SSD and all of your programs on the 1TB and a 3TB as your storage.
      Google your FX-9370 and you'll see what I mean. I did some more research and that CPU is compatible with your board, but on the drives I still suggest the above.
      I did check the asus cpu support page

which shows the following
      "
      SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ALL
      Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)
      "
      In regards to the 1TB ssd drive, I choose that for 2 reasons, OS and programs should be on the fastest drive, and my current installation is running around 350-400GB, and according to all the information I have seen, to get decent longevity out of SSD drive, you need to keep a certain amount of it unused, as it requires that empty space to run maintenance and keep the writes spread out over a larger amount of cells to keep it from prematurely wearing out the NAND memory. you can read an SSD cell for unlimited number of times, however writes are limited somewhat.

I do game, however I also do a lot of photography work and video rendering / editing.

Comment

Working...
      X