Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sabertooth 990FX w/ AMD 8320 WIN7 Sleep Problem (CPU Frequency Drops After Waking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabertooth 990FX w/ AMD 8320 WIN7 Sleep Problem (CPU Frequency Drops After Waking)

My problem is when I put the system into sleep when it wakes up my cpu frequency will drop from 4.7 to 3.7 and will not go back to my overclock setting without a system restart. Usually not using sleep would not be that big of a problem for me but I have so many high cfm case fans plus the kraken x60 fans I will end up having to shovel the dust out every 2 weeks or so with the fans always running.

All power saving options are disabled as well as Turbo etc.

Any ideas are appreciated

Current Specs:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD 8320 @ 4.7GHz - 1.50v
    NZXT Kraken x60 w/ 2 140mm BGears 110CFM PWM fans Click image for larger version

Name:	before sleep.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	756273in pull
    G.Skill Sniper Series 1866 2x4GB
    120 GB Corsir GS SSD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Re: Sabertooth 990FX w/ AMD 8320 WIN7 Sleep Problem (CPU Frequency Drops After Waking)

Sorry for the double post it will only let me post 1 picture per post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	after sleep.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	754225

Comment

Re: Sabertooth 990FX w/ AMD 8320 WIN7 Sleep Problem (CPU Frequency Drops After Waking)

Well, you can see that upon waking from Sleep, the CPU multiplier is set to 18.5, not 23.5 as it is before Sleep.

Do you have an ASUS utility running when you enter sleep, that includes OC settings that can be set in Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Well, you can see that upon waking from Sleep, the CPU multiplier is set to 18.5, not 23.5 as it is before Sleep.

Do you have an ASUS utility running when you enter sleep, that includes OC settings that can be set in Windows?

Well AISuite II was running but all my overclocking has been done in the bios (2104), but I did kill every asus process in the task manager and still the same result after returning from sleep. Also no Overdrive or anything installed on the system.

Comment

My point about AI Suite or similar software, is when waking from Sleep, any settings they have for the CPU multiplier might be applied when that process is running again. BIOS OC settings will be set to those in software that can change OC settings in Windows when they are applied in Windows. If BIOS OC settings were locked in, how could the Windows OC programs work? Just saying that BIOS OC settings can be changed with this software.

I may be wrong that this is happening in your case, I know that it can happen with some software. It would be interesting to see what the CPU/core multiplier(s) were set to in AI Suite before you entered Sleep. If it was 18.5, that would match what you have after waking from Sleep. If AI Suite is set to auto run when Windows boots, disable that and reboot again. Then don't start AI Suite manually and try the Sleep and wake sequence again. Killing the process may not be enough to stop its affect.

I'm just trying to see if it is the Windows OC software that is changing the multiplier when resuming from Sleep. If it isn't then the software is not the cause, and you can move on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            My point about AI Suite or similar software, is when waking from Sleep, any settings they have for the CPU multiplier might be applied when that process is running again. BIOS OC settings will be set to those in software that can change OC settings in Windows when they are applied in Windows. If BIOS OC settings were locked in, how could the Windows OC programs work? Just saying that BIOS OC settings can be changed with this software.

I may be wrong that this is happening in your case, I know that it can happen with some software. It would be interesting to see what the CPU/core multiplier(s) were set to in AI Suite before you entered Sleep. If it was 18.5, that would match what you have after waking from Sleep. If AI Suite is set to auto run when Windows boots, disable that and reboot again. Then don't start AI Suite manually and try the Sleep and wake sequence again. Killing the process may not be enough to stop its affect.

I'm just trying to see if it is the Windows OC software that is changing the multiplier when resuming from Sleep. If it isn't then the software is not the cause, and you can move on from there.
            Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I opened Asus TurboV Evo before I put the system into sleep and under CPU Ratio tab it showed 4.7 GHz and 23.5 Multi, after returning from sleep HWinfo and CPUz show 3.7GHz and 17.5 Multi while TurboV Evo still showing correct. I hit apply and back to 4.7 it went but overclocking in windows is very unstable for me so I could not use it as a fix.

I uninstalled all of AI Suite II and ran CCleaner and a registry cleaner, restarted and booted at 4.7GHz, put to sleep and woke up at 3.7GHz. Not really to sure where to go from here, being that Core clock etc can be changed from Windows with software I would assume Windows should be able to control it as well... but where oh where would they store that registry key? lol.

Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Comment

Maybe THIS post is associated to what you're experiencing there. From here, it looks like it to me.

Read up from that linked post to to see what was discussed/thrashed over.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                Maybe THIS post is associated to what you're experiencing there. From here, it looks like it to me.

Read up from that linked post to to see what was discussed/thrashed over.
                Thanks, exact same problem and fixed using hibernate. Although it does take about 30 seconds longer to get back into Windows with hibernate then it does to cold boot with my ssd lol. Problem solved, Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X