Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 SLOW Cold boot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 SLOW Cold boot.

Hi all, I have a rather annoying situation with this motherboard. I posted this same message on ROG and am still waiting for an answer, pity. The original board worked fine for a time then I had power on issues with it and sent the board back for RMA. The board was replaced? (so I was told) and it took 6 weeks, poor service.
    When I now try to boot this, initially it takes approx 2-2.5 minutes from turning on until the log-in screen appears for Windows 7 Ultimate.
    When I do a warm boot, it takes under 30 seconds to get to the same place. I had Windows 8 on it before and then I went back to Windows 7 and still the problem persists. I am at a loss to explain this, can anyone shed any light on this problem please?

Specs:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Board with BIOS 2104
    AMD FX8150 CPU
    16gb Crucial Memory 1600mhz (running at 1600mhz)
    120gb Samsung SSD
    1TB WD Velociraptor
    Lite on Blueray combo Drive
    Coolermaster Extreme Power II 725W PSU
    Last edited by Pendaws; 03-09-2014, 03:59 AM.

Re: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 SLOW Cold boot.

No USB/FW/TB hubs or other extraneous devices hanging in or off the front or back?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I altered the original post to show the make and models.

It has THE latest drivers, it has NO drives other than what is stated.
      The video card is in the right slot and the BIOS for the MB is the latest.

The board had power issues about 8 months ago and I waited for what
      seemed to be an eternity to get a "replacement"?? board from the Wholesaler
      as ASUS has no Australian based concern.

The PSU has been tested in another machine and this sort of thing did NOT
      show up with the other machine. I tested on 2 machines so far, 1 Intel and 1 AMD
      and again, this did NOT show up at all. It is confusing as the warm boot takes NO
      time at all to do it's thing.

Comment

Interesting, but not unheard of either.

Are you using the computer cases Power button to shut down? Or maybe possibly shutting down via a switch located on a surge suppressor or the like?

Assuming you use the cases Power switch, I'd disconnect the Velociraptor and Lite-On BD drive to see if it's speeds cold booting. If it does I'd suspect one of them the culprit. If not, it's more troubleshooting.

You memory, is it a matched retail kit? Or mixed?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendaws View Post
          I altered the original post to show the make and models.

It has THE latest drivers, it has NO drives other than what is stated.
          The video card is in the right slot and the BIOS for the MB is the latest.

The board had power issues about 8 months ago and I waited for what
          seemed to be an eternity to get a "replacement"?? board from the Wholesaler
          as ASUS has no Australian based concern.

The PSU has been tested in another machine and this sort of thing did NOT
          show up with the other machine. I tested on 2 machines so far, 1 Intel and 1 AMD
          and again, this did NOT show up at all. It is confusing as the warm boot takes NO
          time at all to do it's thing.
          By a warm boot do you mean a restart from within Windows?

If so, a warm boot does not perform all the same steps as a cold boot does. For home PCs, a warm boot/Restart does not perform the POST process. A warm boot also does not initialize any cards in the PCI-E slots, like video cards (what is your video source?), or initialize the various controllers on the board.

I see that your board has the , the gray SATA ports. If your Lite on Blueray combo Drive is connected to one of those ports, it will likely take longer to cold boot, as the add-on SATA controllers like that don't work well with ATAPI devices like optical drives.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            Interesting, but not unheard of either.

Are you using the computer cases Power button to shut down? Or maybe possibly shutting down via a switch located on a surge suppressor or the like?

Assuming you use the cases Power switch, I'd disconnect the Velociraptor and Lite-On BD drive to see if it's speeds cold booting. If it does I'd suspect one of them the culprit. If not, it's more troubleshooting.

You memory, is it a matched retail kit? Or mixed?
            I took the side off this case tonight and I would have SWORN that I had hooked the Blu-Ray drive to the group of 6 but, I had added it to the ASM controller.
            Went into the BIOS after changing this, disabled the ASM1061 storage options and rebooted. It has shaved a minute off the boot time but is still slow, in my opinion.

When the OS was installed into this machine it was NOT under the UEFI option but the UEFI and Legacy but I think I will have to do a NEW install with the UEFI enable only.

I also found on another forum a little piece of info that appears to be useful. I never took much notice that the boot-up screen showed more than 1 keyboard but that appears to be an issue as well.
            Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and the overall help. It is VERY much appreciated. :)

The problem is now resolved. If you are experiencing a long wait after post before the Windows logo, go into BIOS and in the BOOT menu, disable fast boot.
            This is because your keyboard is detected as multiple keyboards (or you are using multiple keyboards) and fast boot is confused by this. The purpose of fast boot is to load any USB flash drives and a mouse and keyboard, so multiple of either cause issues.
            Thanks to Linus tech tips

Comment

Originally posted by Pendaws View Post
              Hi all, I have a rather annoying situation with this motherboard. I posted this same message on ROG and am still waiting for an answer, pity. The original board worked fine for a time then I had power on issues with it and sent the board back for RMA. The board was replaced? (so I was told) and it took 6 weeks, poor service.
              When I now try to boot this, initially it takes approx 2-2.5 minutes from turning on until the log-in screen appears for Windows 7 Ultimate.
              When I do a warm boot, it takes under 30 seconds to get to the same place. I had Windows 8 on it before and then I went back to Windows 7 and still the problem persists. I am at a loss to explain this, can anyone shed any light on this problem please?

Specs:
              Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Board with BIOS 2104
              AMD FX8150 CPU
              16gb Crucial Memory 1600mhz (running at 1600mhz)
              120gb Samsung SSD
              1TB WD Velociraptor
              Lite on Blueray combo Drive
              Coolermaster Extreme Power II 725W PSU

When you Overclock this board it is slower in Bios to post.. try going back to the Bios default settings it worked for me..

Comment

Working...
              X