X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CM6870 upgraded to 16GB

HI!

(sorry for my bad english)

I have an CM6870-SP007O ASUS computer which have 8GB preinstalled (2x4GB) and it's upgradable to 16GB.

I've purchased two Transcend 4GB sticks (model JM1600KLN-4GB) with same timing as preinstalled sticks. At BIOS, SPD timing information is exactly as the preintalled sticks, except for serial number, model, etc (obviously)...

Computer recognize the 16GB pretty well, but Windows crash constantly. A lot of BSOD. Totally unusable.

I've tried a lot of stick configurations, swapping with the presinstalled sticks. Nothing works.

The unique configuration that works, it's putting only 3 sticks and getting 12GB of RAM. Then, all works OK. The problem is with 16GB.

BIOS don't have any option to modify timings or something else related to memory. BIOS is last version. Already tried to upgrade all Windows drivers to latest versions. Nothing works, except take out one stick (no matter which one). I can leave 2 preinstalled and 1 new, or 2 new and 1 preinstalled .... Everything works ok if only 12GB.

Any idea ? I'm really lost.

Thanks!

Re: CM6870 upgraded to 16GB

Is it a locked BIOS? Chances are you need more memory voltage or CPU northbridge/memory controller voltage to get 16gb stable
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      Is it a locked BIOS? Chances are you need more memory voltage or CPU northbridge/memory controller voltage to get 16gb stable
      There's no option to change anything related to memory. So, maybe it's a locked BIOS.

There's a way to unlock it ?

Comment

If its locked or no option to adjust voltages then I'm afraid your stuck to either just running 12gb of ram or upgrading your motherboard,most manufactured pc's bought from shops use these type of bios's
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by juanjico View Post
          HI!

(sorry for my bad english)

I have an CM6870-SP007O ASUS computer which have 8GB preinstalled (2x4GB) and it's upgradable to 16GB.

I've purchased two Transcend 4GB sticks (model JM1600KLN-4GB) with same timing as preinstalled sticks. At BIOS, SPD timing information is exactly as the preintalled sticks, except for serial number, model, etc (obviously)...

Computer recognize the 16GB pretty well, but Windows crash constantly. A lot of BSOD. Totally unusable.

I've tried a lot of stick configurations, swapping with the presinstalled sticks. Nothing works.

The unique configuration that works, it's putting only 3 sticks and getting 12GB of RAM. Then, all works OK. The problem is with 16GB.

BIOS don't have any option to modify timings or something else related to memory. BIOS is last version. Already tried to upgrade all Windows drivers to latest versions. Nothing works, except take out one stick (no matter which one). I can leave 2 preinstalled and 1 new, or 2 new and 1 preinstalled .... Everything works ok if only 12GB.

Any idea ? I'm really lost.

Thanks!
          When you mix vendors/models of memory you may encouter these problems, but with some little bios skills it should be sorted out.

I have on my workstation memories from two different models, both are g.skill, two sticks are 2000mhz and two sticks 2133, both are set on 2230 and working perfectly, even though it wasnt easy to figure out the right setting for this.

Your problem is likely caused by A) a Bios setting that is changing the settings of the memory such as an option that change the timing of read timing of the memory, B) Timing or voltage not configured correctly, C) Memory controller crushing (the memory controller is integrated in the CPU).

To find what's causing your error you should:
          1. Manually enter the Voltage of the memory sticks, use what's written on the specs of the sticks or on the sticker on the ddr3 modules.
          2. Manually enter the 4 first values of the memory timings in the memory section in the bios (the 4 ones are the most important, dont leave on auto).
          3. Increase the VCCIO (memory controller) voltage by 1 notch.
          4. Start windows memory test program (press F8 after bios post) and test the memory, tweak the settings until your sticks are working 100% solid with no errors and only then start windows.

Hope this helps, if not post some more information (mb model, memory timing/voltage/models, etc) and i will do my best to help.

Astro.

Comment

Working...
          X