Asus P5K Pro Incomatibe with Kingston HyperX RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P5K Pro Incomatibe with Kingston HyperX RAM

I just purchased a Kingston 2GB HyperX memory kit. My PC is installed with 2 X Kingston 1GB 800Mhz RAM. After I inserted the new memories (making it a total 4GB memory) and reboot, my PCI sound card went missing ("No Audio Device installed" error message). Not even the Device Manager can detect it.

So I took out my old memories, Windows still couldn't detect my PCI Sound card. Also, Creative's driver installer encountered error during installation ("couldn't detect supported device" error message).

But when I used my old memories and took out the HyperX kit, there it is in the device manager (identified as multimedia audio device). Driver installation was successful.

On-board audio works fine in all configurations. I don't get it... How could the HyperX memories disabled my PCI? I wish for an explanation and solution to keep both my sound card & the new memories.

Re: Asus P5K Pro Incomatibe with Kingston HyperX RAM

Even Asus is clueless. Bummer...

Comment

As I Know, HyperX should be overclocking memory module and it means you have to adjust the BIOS to change the setting. Had you changed the setting?

More details about your system like CPU or model of PCI Sound card will be helpful to figure out the issue.

Comment

I've acquired a pair of KVR800D2N6 modules (KVR800D2N5 is no longer available for sale) and my X-fi sound card went missing again after inserting them into the 3rd & 4th memory slot. It seems that the problem occurred when using 2GB for HyperX modules and 4GB for ValueRAM modules.

I've tried various combination of the memory timing (4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-12, 5-5-5-15, 5-5-5-18 & 6-6-6-18), voltage (1.8-2.2V), and clock speed (667, 800 & 1066). I've disabled the PS/2 port, floppy disk port, on-board audio, COM port & IEEE1394 port through the BIOS as well. I've even reinserted the sound card into 2nd PCI slot. Memory Remap feature is definitely enabled. But still, the problem remains. The odd thing was that the Device Manager did not indicate any conflicts.

CPU: Intel C2D E8400 3GHz
        Memory: 4GB Kingston DDR2-800 (2 x KVR800D2N5, 2 x KVR800D2N6)
        Sound card: SB X-fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro

Comment

Try to follow the user manual to adjust BIOS and disable "CPU Spread Spectrum" and "PCIE Spread Spectrum".
          Hope this can help you~

Comment

Nope, that didn't work either. But I did learn what spread spectrum does.

Comment

Personally, I don't think the fault is the memories, nor is the motherboard, but most likely compatibility issue. The board does not like the ram, and the ram does not like the board.

I suggest you to RMA the ram first, since it's smaller. If the RMA does not work, I'd suggest to RMA the motherboard as well.

Comment

What the heck is RMA?

Comment

It means "Return Materials Authorization".

Have you tried install your KVR800D2N6 alone?
                  Just like triump101 said. It looks like this is caused by compatibility. Maybe you need to RMA this ram... or your M/B.

Comment

Working...
                  X