H97M Pro4 - Machine mysteriously turns on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H97M Pro4 - Machine mysteriously turns on

My rig has the H97M Pro4 board with an i7-4790 CPU. My 250GB mSATA SSD (in a PCI Express slot) has Win10 Pro, with a 2TB hard drive connected to the SSD card's SATA 3.0 socket; and I have four 1TB drives in all of the available SATA sockets (the first one has Win7 Pro).

Every once in a blue moon, after hours of shutdown time, my machine inexplicably turns on. On some occasions, I come home from work to find my machine having automatically turned on, even though it was off all morning.

Is there anything in my machine that could possibly trigger activation? Is there anything in my UEFI that I need to double-check, turn off or activate, to make certain that it no longer turns on automatically and at random? Could it be something related to the latest BIOS available for this board?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 01-05-2017, 03:29 AM.

Re: H97M Pro4 - Machine mysteriously turns on

Hi Cookymonzta,
    This is Michael from ASRock Technical support Team.

We provide following suggestions for trying:
    1. Please press F9 to load BIOS default setting.
    After that, press F10 to save and exit.
    2. Please enter BIOS to check if [Restore on AC power loss] is set at [Power off]
    If [Power on] is selected, the system will start to boot up when the power recovers.
    Try to set it at [Power off].
    ( BIOS > Advanced > Chipset Configuration)
    3. Check if [USB mouse/keyboard power on] is set at enabled
    4. Enter OS > Device manager > Network adapter > Click I218V LAN controller > Power management > Do not select any option under Wake on LAN
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	755144

Thank you!

Have a great day,
    ASRock TSD-Michael

Comment

Everything else, I double-checked. I had to upgrade my Intel Ethernet Connection in Win10.

In my Device Manager in Win10, it's listed as "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1218-V". In the tab for 'Power Management', everything is checked except "Wake on Magic Packet". I assume I should leave that box unchecked, yes?

In Win7, the latest version of 1218-V is installed, and "Wake on Magic Packet" is checked. Should I uncheck it, or leave it checked?

Comment

Dear customer,

Do not select any option under [Wake on LAN].
        Keep them unchecked and please select OK to try.

Also, you can enter BIOS to check if [PCIE Device Power on] is set at disabled.
        ( BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Configuration)

Then double check if [Restore on AC/power loss] is already disabled.

Thank you!

Have a great day,
        ASRock TSD-Michael

Comment

Re: H97M Pro4 - Machine mysteriously turns on at random

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Michael View Post
          Dear customer,

Do not select any option under [Wake on LAN].
          Keep them unchecked and please select OK to try.

Also, you can enter BIOS to check if [PCIE Device Power on] is set at disabled.
          ( BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Configuration)

Then double check if [Restore on AC/power loss] is already disabled.

Thank you!

Have a great day,
          ASRock TSD-Michael
          Checked and double-checked. Didn't work. My machine still has a habit of turning on at random.

Is it possible that my BIOS could have been a slightly-defective download (I have Version 2.10)? Should I downgrade, then upgrade back to 2.10?

Should I turn off the RTC Alarm in my UEFI? It is currently set to "Awake by OS", and I have 2 operating systems in my machine (Win7 and Win10 on different drives).

Comment

Re: H97M Pro4 - Machine mysteriously turns on at random

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
            Checked and double-checked. Didn't work. My machine still has a habit of turning on at random.

Is it possible that my BIOS could have been a slightly-defective download (I have Version 2.10)? Should I downgrade, then upgrade back to 2.10?

Should I turn off the RTC Alarm in my UEFI? It is currently set to "Awake by OS", and I have 2 operating systems in my machine (Win7 and Win10 on different drives).
            Even after turning off my RTC alarm, my machine still has a habit of turning on at random.

Is it safe to downgrade a BIOS, before upgrading again?

Comment

Working...
            X