Voltage Control of PWM fan headers on ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX/AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage Control of PWM fan headers on ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX/AC

Is there a way to do voltage control on the CHASSIS fan headers? I have a Phanteks Evolv ITX case with two 3 Pin case fans and they run full blast no matter what setting both in UEFI and if F-Tuning.

Re: Voltage Control of PWM fan headers on ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX/AC

Dear Trinergy,
    This is Michael from ASRock Technical support Team.

There are two chassis fan connectors on Z170 Gaming ITX/ac. Only CHA_FAN1 could control the speed of 3-pin fan. Kindly connect the 3-pin fan to CHA_FAN1 header to try. If it still cannot be controlled, please follow below steps to verify.
    1. Only connect the fan to CHA_FAN1. Then set the chassis fan1 speed to another mode to try.
    Note: Do not connect the other fan to CHA_FAN2.
    2. Please load BIOS to default setting. Remember to press F10 to save and exit.
    3. Connect to CPU_FAN1 to try if it can be controlled.
    4. If possible, try another 3-pin fan to check the result.

If it still not works, could you please provide which BIOS version you used?
    Also tell me is your motherboard Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac?

Thank you!

Have a great day,
    ASRock TSD-Michael

Comment

Yes, it is the Gaming one: ASRock > Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Firmware is 7.10

To confirm only FAN1 can be controlled via voltage. I will check with the owner as I no longer have it in my possession. So if this works does that mean I cannot use another fan on FAN2?

Comment

Dear customer,

For your case, we try to test two 3-pin fans on Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac with BIOS P7.10
        Model: BlueOrb FX - CL-P0333 / EVERCOOL U101-9525SA

These two fans have been installed at CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 connector.
        Only the CHA_FAN1 could control the fan speed mode.
        The other would always be full speed.

As you mentioned that you cannot control both fans when installing at two chassis fan connectors.
        Therefore, I would like you to check if "only" install one fan on CHA_FAN1 can be controlled normally.
        If possible, install two different fans on two chassis connectors to try if CHA_FAN1 can control.
        Please kindly help to verify.

Thank you!

Have a great day,
        ASRock TSD-Michael

Comment

Hello Michael,

I have had just one fan run before on CHA1 and that ran on full speed. I have also swapped both fans around to no avail. That fan is the one I want to slow down as it is 1600 RPM full speed. I don't mind the CHA2 (Front fan) as it runs at 600 RPM full speed and is very quiet.

Comment

Dear Trinergy,
            Thanks for your reply.

Because we tested two 3-pin fans BlueOrb FX - CL-P0333 / EVERCOOL U101-9525SA and make sure they could be controlled by CHA_FAN1 header, we may not sure if it related to your fan or others.

Kindly do following suggestions to try.
            1. Set CHA_FAN1 to [Silent mode] or other modes to verify if the fan speed can be changed or not.
            2. Set CHA_FAN1 to [Customize] mode.
            Then set [CPU Temperature 1] at 50 celsius, [Fan speed for CPU temperature 1] at 20%
            To check if the speed would work slower under 50 celsius.
            3. Install different chassis fan if possible.
            4. If possible, please install the chassis fan on other system and check if the fan is able to work slower.

If it still works at full speed, we recommend you to contact the local dealer to do further checking.

Thank you!

Have a great day,
            ASRock TSD-Michael

Comment

Hi..i would suggest Plug the second PWM splitter 2pin fan plug into splitter that's working. This will give you 5 PWM controlled sockets. I've ran 9 fans of of one PWM motherboard socket. You can run 5 no problem.Many motherboards have 4 pin fan sockets but 4th pin is "reserved" and not PWM. But your manual does say all four are PWM.

percentage calculator
              Last edited by BurchSung; 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I can only comment on the ASRock boards I've used previously (not including yours unfortunately), with 3 pin header fans that all worked fine, They don't however change the voltage to the fan, they use PWM to limit it.

Percentage Calculator
                Last edited by DaveRodda; 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X