Z77 Extreme 4 IRST Version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme 4 IRST Version?

I did a clean install of W10 v1511 on a ASRock Extreme 4 system. I did not install any version of IRST on this system and Network Discovery works ok. What's the latest version of Intel's Rapid Storage (IRST) that will work with the Z77 Extreme 4 MB and W10 Pro v1511? There is no version listed on the ASRock web site for W10. I have several ASRock Z97 MB's running W10 and they use a newer version of IRST than is available on the ASRock web site for the Z77 Extreme 4 MB running W8. Network Discovery works correctly on all of the Z97 systems.

I have another ASRock Extreme 4 system running W10 that I let MS upgrade from W8 and it is running the "old" version of IRST. I don't know if it has anything todo with anything but Network Discovery does not work on that machine but as I said above does work on the one without IRST installed? Help appreciated!
    Last edited by Ken429; 12-26-2015, 02:42 PM.

Re: Z77 Extreme 4 IRST Version?

The latest/newest IRST driver that supports the Z77 chip set is version 13.1.0.1058. For download take a look at this site: Intel's RST/RST(e) AHCI/RAID Drivers
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I suspected that it was a bad idea to just install the latest IRST driver on an "old" system. You save me a lot of screwing around. I suspect that if I look back far enough that is why I could never get IRST to work properly on GA-EP45-UD3P MB's!

Still does not explain why ASRock does not have an IRST driver under the Z77 Extreme 4 Windows 10 download list? Are we supposed to assume the version listed for W8 will work (and it does since I have it on one system)? Version 13.1.0.1058 was probably finalized before W10 was created? Does W10 have some magic built in that does not require or want an IRST driver for the Z77 chip?

Comment

Version 13.1.0.1058 is dated 05/03/2014, which means slightly more than one year before the release of Windows 10. Nevertheless all recent Windows versions (10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP) have an inbox generic sata ahci driver. It delivers not the most fastest speed and energy saving functions , but it makes the sata ports work.
        On the other hand, motherboard makers support their consumer desktop products only for a short time of one or two years. You are supposed to buy a new product...
        ---
        Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

I did, two ASRock Extreme 6/4790K systems and one Z97X Fatal1ty Killer/Xeon ES-1246 v3 system. Anyway, I'll install the IRST V13.1.0.1058 on the fresh install system and see what happens. Actually, the only reason I wanted/needed the IRST driver is to see what SATA port the disk drives are on. IRST shows Port Number and Volume Name. The BIOS only shows Port Number and Disk Drive identifier. Since I have 4 identical drives on the system I need to see the Volume Name too. I'm sure there are other programs out there that I could use but...I'm lazy and got used to IRST.

Comment

Check out Hard Disk Sentinel

The screen-shot shows part of the disk information for three of my four drives, where I didn't cut and paste the info for the second ssd in my raid 0 setup.
            The Information window for each drive is quickly accessed by clicking on the disk listed in the upper left of the page and I pasted the info for three drives.
            You can also save or print full reports in txt or html format.

You can download a free trial version that doesn't allow you to do a few of the hard drive read/write sector tests.

You might want to buy the "family pack" version that covers 5 computer systems.

You should be able to easily find Hard Disk Sentinel coupon codes on the web that will save 40% or more off of their "normal" retail price.

I have the Hard Disk Sentinel PROFESSIONAL Family license.

Last edited by profJim; 12-28-2015, 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I ended up installing IRST version 12.8.0.1016 on the fresh install of W10 v1511 and it works OK. The newer release 13.1.0.1058 would not install it wanted me to download and install some other stuff Net. something so I took the easy way out and went with the older version that I new worked. It looks like ASRock just "forgot" to include a version of IRST in the W10 list?!

ProfJim,
              Your right, even with IRST installed the only way I could figure out which drive buy Volume Name (I have four 500GB raptors installed) was on which SATA port was by trial and elimination. That was relatively easy since I have them in an old Corsair 800D case that has the Hot Swap bays. I'll try downloading and running the free version of the Hard Disk Sentinel and give you an update. Your last suggestion Macrium Reflect was great. It has yet to fail me through the W10 update obstacle course and they are pretty active at keeping it updated and fixing problems.

Comment

I ended up installing IRST version 12.8.0.1016 on the fresh install of W10 v1511 and it works OK. The newer release 13.1.0.1058 would not install it wanted me to download and install some other stuff Net. something so I took the easy way out and went with the older version that I new worked. It looks like ASRock just "forgot" to include a version of IRST in the W10 list?!

ProfJim,
                Your right, even with IRST installed the only way I could figure out which drive buy Volume Name (I have four 500GB raptors installed) was on which SATA port was by trial and elimination. That was relatively easy since I have them in an old Corsair 800D case that has the Hot Swap bays. I'll try downloading and running the free version of the Hard Disk Sentinel and give you an update. Your last suggestion Macrium Reflect was great. It has yet to fail me through the W10 update obstacle course and they are pretty active at keeping it updated and fixing problems.

Comment

Working...
                X