i just made a brand new pc with:
    - the mobo in subject
    - an i5 6600
    - a SSD Disk
    - a SATA Disk
    - 16GB of RAM
    - a VGA card (Geforce 970)
    - an external dvd burner

i attached everything and i'm now trying to install Win 10 from the ISO DVD (with an external USB dvd burner) or a USB bootable key. I say trying because pc starts, i can see windows logo on screen, but after about 30 seconds of loading i receive this message:

Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: blablabla
    Error code: blablabla

I "patched" the ISO using the Windows 7 usb patcher from Asrock website, but nothing changed. I really don't know what else to do.

I tried to boot via USB key with both USB and UEFI options.

Case one (USB): Windows is loading files, then error (with dos styled screen), ntoskrnl.exe (i think) error code 0xc0000098
    Case two (UEFI USB): Windows logo, blue screen with recovery error, ntoskrl.exe again (i think) error code 0xc0000221 (but i recall it also gave me the same 0xc0000098 one previous time).

I also thought that the image could be corrupted, but i downloaded it two times using the microsoft tool and nothing changed.

Has someone managed to install win 10 from scratch (and an external usb dvd burner or usb_key) with this mobo? Thanks in advance.

Re: Asrock H170M-ITX\ac Windows 10 fresh install

Why would you use a patch for windows 7 when installing 10.

Download 10240 from MS and use option to save iso, burn with rufus as UEFI in fat32 format on flash drive for UEFI install.

Make sure SSD is in sata3-0, and in AHCI in UEFI/BIOS.
    Use boot menu at post, F11 and pick UEFI-( your flash drive)

Download again, the win 10 th2 1511 10586, has been removed and the 10240 is there now. 10586- problems.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-23-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
      Why would you use a patch for windows 7 when installing 10.

Download 10240 from MS and use option to save iso, burn with rufus as UEFI in fat32 format on flash drive for UEFI install.

Make sure SSD is in sata3-0, and in AHCI in UEFI/BIOS.
      Use boot menu at post, F11 and pick UEFI-( your flash drive)

Download again, the win 10 th2 1511 10586, has been removed and the 10240 is there now. 10586- problems.
      Because mobo instructions say to do so and Asrock have not renamed the tool to match windows 8/10, it's still called w7 patcher.

Anyway the problem turned out to be the RAM modules (one or both, still running memtests) or the RAM slots of the mobo (less likely but you never know).

So, for everyone that is struggling with strange recovery/repair errors with windows 7/8/10 fresh installs: run a memtest86 before trying anything else, it will save you time and headaches.

I will keep you updated, thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
          Sorry, but you're wrong, and the only OS you run the patcher on is Windows 7.
          Ummm, it appears this patcher is needed as it is chipset specific. Not Windows specific.

ASRock-Installing Windows 7 on Intel Braswell and Skylake Platforms

Substituting Windows 10 below for where Windows 7 appears below isn't a far stretch ......
          That and ASRock is listing that "Win7 Patcher" for all the Win10x64 downloads on all their Z170 boards that I just looked at anyways.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The reason that you see - 100 Series has removed their support for the Enhanced Host Controller Interface, so you might find it difficult to install your Windows 7, is because only windows 7 does not have the embedded XHCI drivers needed.

They also listed the realtek Lan driver for the Z97 extreme 4 and a few other boards until I had them correct it, so the DL pages are not the best, nor is the way they post old drivers when there are
            way newer WHQL drivers out.

It's only for windows 7 on the 100 series. Windows, 8, 8.1, and 10 all have the XHCI USB drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X