H97M Pro4 Won't Post - Fans Spin Up and Down,.. and Up and Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H97M Pro4 Won't Post - Fans Spin Up and Down,.. and Up and Down

In the video I only have the power supply connected to the CPU (8 pin) and ATX (24 pin) connectors. I have the CPU and stock CPU Cooler hooked up with the fan plugged into the 4-pin CPU_FAN1 plug. The only other connection is the 2-pin power switch connector (PWRBTN) going into my case.

The fans spin up, and down, indefinitely until I turn off the power supply.

Here's an image with my two DDR3-1600 sticks in the two blue slots, as well as a DVI monitor cable, USB keyboard and mouse and all of the case plugs (PLED, HDLED, RESET). Same result, fans spin and stop.

I bought a new 650W power supply at Best Buy, but I got the same result. At least I know it isn't the power supply.

I took the CPU out and made sure there were no bent pins, and that the arrow on the CPU went with the arrow in the socket. Re-seated CPU, same result, fans spin and stop.

The motherboard is out of the case (to make sure nothing was shorting out). Same result, fans spin and stop.

Set the CLEAR CMOS jumper and took the CMOS battery out for 30 minutes. Put them back, same result, fans spin and stop.

Halp!

Re: H97M Pro4 Won't Post - Fans Spin Up and Down,.. and Up and Down

Welcome to the forum.

Is the bottom of the motherboard on top of an anti-static bag when you power up your system?

You NEVER want to power up a motherboard when it is on top of an electrically conductive surface.
    A web search using: how does an anti-static bag work will tell you why.

When I build a system, I always place the motherboard on top of a plain cardboard box next to the computer case.
    I install a minimal hardware setup that will let me get into the bios.

An improperly connected usb 3.0 front or read panel cable can prevent a motherboard from posting.

Some keyboards might not be compatible with specific motherboards.
    Sometimes you will initially need use an older PS/2 keyboard.

When in doubt, RTFM, most motherboard user manuals have detailed step by step instructions with photos that show the relevant connectors, cables, etc. Use this step by step section to double check that you don't have any incorrect wire or cable connections and that you haven't skipped an important step.

Double check that all power supply cables are securely plugged in to the correct connector and that the cables are fully seated.

It's possible that one of the psu cables is bad and that it won't provide power to a video card or additional motherboard power socket.

Make sure that the clear cmos button is not stuck in the clear position.
    Is there a dual bios switch that might not be in correct position.

Is the motherboard battery weak or dead?

Is there a case speaker connected to the motherboard?

Is there a debug LED that shows and post codes?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The outside of the anti static bag is not anti static, there are warnings about it. Like Profjim said, never set it on the bag.

Unplug the PWRB, the USB plug, and remove one stick RAM, if you have a small Flathead screwdriver use it to start the board, the button is only a short, it's not a open/ closed circuit button. Be very careful and short the pins quick. Then try the other stick of RAM.

If that's a new PSU and you tried another one, tried both sticks separately, then RMA the board, and hope they don't see the pic you posted with it on the bag.

Comment

Thanks profJim,

After trying to re-seat the CPU, I saw that a few pins were bent, which were likely the cause. Thankfully I'll be able to get replacement parts.

I read up on anti-static bags (and faraday cages) and will definitely be setting up the motherboard on a cardboard box next time (and RTFM'ing a lot more in the meantime).

I thought the PSU was good (passed the paperclip test), but tried a different brand new PSU for the same effect (revving fans). I didn't see a dual BIOS switch, but I did try resetting the CMOS a few times (taking the battery out and back in and using the jumper).

I'll definitely get a game plan of what exactly needs to be hooked up and how best to test it this time.

What typically is part of a minimal hardware setup?

Comment

You're welcome.

The minimal hardware setup is to see if your system will be able to enter the bios using:
          • power supply
          • motherboard
          • a case speaker connected to the motherboard to hear any error beep codes
          • cpu, cpu heatsink + cooling fan
          • a single memory module installed in the "correct" memory slot (read the manual)
          • one video card if your cpu and motherboard don't have an onboard, integrated video device
          • video monitor and video cable
          • keyboard (nothing fancy) and a mouse (if the bios requires it)

The idea is to keep it simple at first so that if something goes wrong you won't have to look at a lot of extra hardware, cables or wires to find the problem. For example, I've seen a defective power on/off switch or its wires prevent a system from starting. A defective reset switch in a computer case could possibly cause problems with your system booting.

The psu paper clip is better than nothing, but not by much.
          The psu might power up but you still have no way of knowing if it can supply the correct voltage and current to each of the psu power cables. I've seen many failing power supplies cause booting and stability problems.

Before you add or remove any hardware, ALWAYS:
          1. turn off the system
          2. turn the power supply off using the psu switch at the back of the computer case
          3. unplug the external psu A.C. cable from the wall outlet or the back of the psu
            I always unplug the A.C. cable from the back of the psu; it's easier to reach and to see why there's no power this way
          4. press and hold the front panel on/off switch for 15 - 20 seconds to dissipate stored electrical charges in your system

Before you start building your system, you should carefully inspect all hardware for signs of existing damage, poor electrical cables or connectors and make sure that there are no missing parts.

If you have any hardware problems see if you can test some of your hardware in another system or see if you can borrow compatible hardware to test in your system.

Take extreme care so that you don't damage any electronic parts with static electricity.

Stay focused!! Don't let pets, friends, TV or anything distract you while you're building your system.

The best way to learn is to have a dependable friend who happens to be a real expert building computer systems.

There are quite a few excellent web tutorials and videos out there, practice and perfect searching the web of the information that you need.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
          X