Replacement heatsink+fan for Core100HT-BD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement heatsink+fan for Core100HT-BD

As per the subject, I'm looking for the CPU heatsink+fan assembly for a Core100HT-BD HTPC. This seems to be a custom part as its a CPU heatsink with the fan blowing/venting from the side. As per the pic(http://images.anandtech.com/doci/3824/p-06_575px.JPG). Anyone have any idea where this can be sourced please?

The HTPC is kept on 24/7 and has been for the past 4-5 years, so now, even at idle, the fans seem to be quite noisy. Other than that, the HTPC is still working great, so want to just replace the fans.

Re: Replacement heatsink+fan for Core100HT-BD

Welcome to the forum.

HardwareSecrets says that it is a 50mm fan.

You' will need find a similar fan that has the same dimensions, provides adequate airflow and hopefully is quieter.

A web search using: 50mm computer cooling fan will provide links to companies that sell similar fans.

Hopefully your fan's dimensions are standard for a 50mm fan and the fan's mounting holes have standard dimensions.

The cpu heatsink might be OK after you clean out all of the accumulated dust and dirt.

It will make it much easier to find a compatible fan if there is a sticker on the fan hub with the model number, for example:

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Maybe so, but what voltage is the original? 5v or 12v??????

That is the question
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        Maybe so, but what voltage is the original? 5v or 12v??????

That is the question
        If the fan has a label similar to the picture in my previous post, it might include the voltage information and if the fan's model number is on the sticker we can probably search the web and discover the fan's speed and/or airflow rating.
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

I did some further checking and found that HardwareSecrets said:
          The system is cooled by a 50 mm fan, which is located at the rear panel.
          It looks like the cpu is passively cooled and that there isn't a separate cpu cooling fan.

The interior warm air is exhausted by the rear panel cooling fan on the right of the next picture and there are four screws in a square pattern that mount the fan to the rear panel.

In the next picture, it looks like the circular black area is NOT a cooling fan.

The last picture shows the motherboard's white 3-pin male connector for the rear panel cooling fan.
          The white 3-pin male and female connector setup is a standard push on and pull off setup for computer fans to let you easily connect the fan wires to the motherboard.

Last edited by profJim; 11-01-2015, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            It looks like the cpu is passively cooled and that there isn't a separate cpu cooling fan.

In the next picture, it looks like the circular black area is NOT a cooling fan.
            The circular black area IS the CPU cooling fan, its attached directly to the heatsink, just on the side, rather than on top.

Thanks for all the responses and tips guys. I've taken the unit apart, redid the thermal paste on the cpu heatsink/fan, and it still's idling at around 80+ degrees(celsius) which seems ridiculously high. Have played around with CoreTemp and RealTemp and I may have found a clue as to why it's "idling" at such a high temp. Even though task manager says CPU load is around 0%, RealTemp is saying the load is at 100%. Checking how RealTemp works(thanks UncleWebb!) it seems that this is because even though there's no actual load on the CPU, RealTemp measures how long the CPU is staying in C0 state(CPU is turned on), and this is why RealTemp reports it as saying load is still 100%. Looks like my CPU isn't entering the lower power C states(C1-C6), so keeps generating heat even though nothing is actually happening. Could be a windows problem, something may have gone awry with the power management settings as all the C states are enabled in the BIOS.

I'll probably end up replacing all the fans anyway, just to refresh it.
            a) the rear case fan is a Y.S. Tech DC brushless fan FD125020ML, DC 12V, 0.10A.
            b) the cpu heatsink/fan was the one I was really asking about, because this one seems to be some sort of proprietary component with the fan being on the side of the heatsink. When I took the heatsink off, noticed I could just swap the fan on that. Its a Sunon MagLev GC054509VH-8A, DC5V, 1.7W fan. So either I just replace the fan or find another heatsink/fan combo which is low-profile enough to sit on top of the CPU without hitting anything in the case, seems to be a few 1U low-profile heatsink/fan packages out there. The current heatsink thats on there now, the heatsink is still getting very hot, so it looks like its doing its job, just that the fan isn't doing a very good job of cooling the heatsink down. Might be the fins on the heatsink is all gunked up with dust

Comment

Originally posted by ghostdunks View Post
              When I took the heatsink off, noticed I could just swap the fan on that.
              Might be the fins on the heatsink is all gunked up with dust
              You didn't clean it anyway while you had it off ???
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

yeah complete brain fart, I didn't..just thought maybe I had to repaste and maybe that alone would fix it. Completely forgot to check the fins the first time. I've just taken it off again, and this time, I vacuumed the fins out, and now it seems to "idle" at around 60 degrees which is a hell of a lot better. After I figure out the C state idle issue, it should idle much lower than that I hope which should be good enough.

Comment

OK

First, check that the YS Yech fan is in fact spinning. YS Tech fans don't rate that high on my fan list. Lower quarter. Maybe.
                  If it's not, or you have any doubts, replace it with a Gelid FN-SX05-40 fan. The specs on the Gelid beat out the YS Tech.

There is a BIOS 1.30 available that simply states "Change default setting." as what it changed from previous.

Comment

60 isn't that terrible considering the case it's in.

What's ambient there in Oz today?

Comment

replace it with a Gelid FN-SX05-40 fan. The specs on the Gelid beat out the YS Tech.
                      The exception being slightly higher draw at 0.15A vs 0.10A of the YS Tech. Otherwise it outperforms the original all around.
                      Last edited by - wardog -; 11-03-2015, 01:56 AM.

Comment

60 isn't that terrible considering the case it's in.

What's ambient there in Oz today?
                        Ambient is about 22 in my apartment. 60 is good compared to 80, which is what it was idling at before. I've just done a fresh clean install of Win7 onto a spare hard disk and whacked it into the box, and now it's idling at around 42 which is great! And checking RealTemp, it now seems to idle properly(ie. it goes into C3, C6, etc). So something I've installed/tweaked seems to broken the ability of the cpu to idle properly. Now to find out what that particular thing is....

Comment

OK

First, check that the YS Yech fan is in fact spinning. YS Tech fans don't rate that high on my fan list. Lower quarter. Maybe.
                          If it's not, or you have any doubts, replace it with a Gelid FN-SX05-40 fan. The specs on the Gelid beat out the YS Tech.
                          The exception being slightly higher draw at 0.15A vs 0.10A of the YS Tech. Otherwise it outperforms the original all around.
                          Oh both fans are definitely spinning. They're what brought my attention to the unit in the first place, noticing they were making a lot more noise than before. But now it seems that they were spinning faster(and noisier) than normal because they were just trying to cool down the CPU, and not doing a very good job because a) the heatsink was all dust-bunnied up and b) even at "idle", because of some software issue, the cpu was getting way too hot.

Now that I've temporarily fixed the software idle issue(by reinstalling windows), cpu idles at a low enough temp that the fans are back to almost-silent. If I can source the Gelid fan like you guys recommended for a good price, then I'll probably swap out the YS Tech fan anyway, if it does a better job of cooling.

Comment

Hmmm,,, Did you ever look in the BIOS at what the reported temp was "inside' the BIOS?

I've never had it happen here, yet too, if it might apply there, having multiple monitoring dll's loaded has been known to produce strange results.

Comment

Hmmm,,, Did you ever look in the BIOS at what the reported temp was "inside' the BIOS?

I've never had it happen here, yet too, if it might apply there, having multiple monitoring dll's loaded has been known to produce strange results.
                              Yup I did, and the BIOS reported temps matched both coretemp and RealTemp's figures. I never ran both coretemp and realtemp at same time much other than to see if there was any variance between the two(which there wasn't really). Now for testing reasons, I just run Realtemp, as that tells me both temps and also whether or not the cpu is actually idling(in particular C-states).

After doing more work on it last night, I'm 100% sure that its a tweak or something I've done to the system that seems to have hamstrung the CPU's power saving features, as a fresh install works fine. As mentioned, it never goes out of C0 state, so its never really idling nor is it ever clocking down even under no load ie. its always at 2.4GHz, whereas on my other laptop, it only clocks up to high-speed when the load requires it to do so. So somewhere along the line, I've managed to either disabled SpeedStep and/or stopped it from going into C1-C6 power saving states. Problem is finding out where exactly that is now, I've been playing around with the power schemes, but no luck so far. Could be any variety of tweaks/software I've done over the past 4 years and my memory is bad enough I can't remember exactly what I've done to it. I could just re-install Windows completely, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X