Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z170M-ITX/ac BIOS sound codes

Hi everyone!

I just bought two computers worth of parts from Newegg to replace some eight year old office computers.

The system is really simple.

Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K4G4DFS8213

SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

ADATA Premier SP600 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ASP600S3-128GM-C

Cooler Master Elite 130 - Mini-ITX Computer Case with Mesh Front Panel and Water Cooling Support

LITE-ON DVD Burner SATA Model iHAS124-14 - OEM

I put the first one together and turned it on only to be greeted with 4 long beeps from the motherboard. Not to be discouraged (it's just part of building sometimes), I pulled out the mobo manual and looked up the error codes.

But there aren't any error codes. There are no error codes in the book nor are there any in the downloadable PDFs from Asrock.

This board doesn't have an LCD screen for numerical codes, just a good old speaker.

I'm positive that the parts in my build are compatible and that I was plenty careful putting it together to prevent a short. I've unmounted and remounted the board and checked all of the connections. I tried unplugging non-essentials (ODD, SSD, fans) but it still throws that same looping sound of 4 beeps. I tried starting without the RAM installed just to see if it would throw a different code so I could be sure it wasn't the code for "you have bad RAM."

But that's the heart of the issue. Without knowing the specific error code I'm getting I don't have a good way of troubleshooting the problem. I could build the second machine or try the other CPU but if something is wrong with the board I don't want to risk hurting 2 CPUs or the other 2 sticks of RAM.

Anyone have an idea? Does someone speak Asrocky motherboard?

Re: Z170M-ITX/ac BIOS sound codes

ASRocky motherboard here I do.

AMI Bios Beepcodes

Were I to venture an educated guess from this distance and knowing what 4 beeps is I'd have to say you most likely have some incompatible memory there.

I'm partial to G.Skill memory. Seeings I can't make the "Is this compatible" work on your CRUCIAL memory page nor does the G.Skill Configuator list the ITX board, I would either contact Crucial, or G.Skill HERE, and ask of compatibility.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

On the MB itself, in the lower middle of the board, between the orange'ish heatsink and the SATA3_3 port, right above the ASR in ASRock, is your BIOS.

There is supposed to be a white sticker covering it that has the BIOS that it came flashed with when it shipped from the factory.

What does it say on this sticker?
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Hey there.

The BIOS version is 1.10. Asrock just got back to me a little while ago and promised to send a new BIOS chip with the latest version (1.60).

They were vague on the debug saying it was either the BIOS or the CPU.

I'm going to try playing with the memory by just slotting one stick at a time.

I only grabbed the crucial memory because it was the cheapest I could find.

This is an office computer with heavy multi-tasking in mind but not so heavy that it needs serious performance. I figured I could build the thing for cheaper than the IT company wanted to sell us one through Dell (and I was right by over $300.)

If I have to get new memory I'm still ahead of the game but I'll let you know tomorrow if I make any progress.

Otherwise I might just have to wait for that new BIOS chip to get here.

Comment

Unfortunately, early adopters usually get the release, or first, BIOS on their MB's. Count yourself as one of 'em.

That latest BIOS release for your board is currently 1.60, with memory compatibility patches rolled into a couple newer than your present 1.10.

Good. I spurred you into calling ASRock Tech Support. If I can ask, what was your experience like when you called in to them?

Comment

Well it wasn't a phone call.

There's a form you fill out on the tech support website that strongly encourages you to contact the retailer first (I doubted Newegg would be interested in this sort of problem).

Basically you fill out the field with your information and the product you need help with (including a serial number for that specific product).

Then a little over 24 hours later I got an e-mail from their tech support people that basically just said it's either BIOS or CPU related (no detail on how to look up codes myself) and they asked which version of the BIOS I had.

This was all around 8-9PM EST and I e-mailed them back with the current BIOS version. I guess they were in the office because within ten minutes I got a response. Once I was in contact with them via e-mail they responded to me almost instantly. They were the ones who decided to just up and send me a new BIOS chip. All they needed was an invoice for proof of purchase and that was it.

Overall? Perhaps not the most polished customer support but undeniably effective. I'm fine with it.

Comment

Working...
            X