D6 error with 970 Extreme4 and Radeon R9 390

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D6 error with 970 Extreme4 and Radeon R9 390

This is my first build since I put together a 486 machine. I guess that dates me. I have a Strix-R9390-DC30C-8GD5-Gaming board mounted on an Asrock 970 Extreme4 mother board. When I power up the machine, Mr. Debug reports a D6 error and I get 5 beeps. I also noticed that the fans for the GPU do not turn when the machine is started. The GPU has a 6 and 8 pin header. i have connected the 6 pin power supply to the matching header. I have no cable from my power supply to match the 8 pin header so I am assuming that I only need one or the other. However, I see a white led next to to the connected 6 pin header and a red led next to the unconnected 8 pin header. This leads me to wonder if I am suppose to have something connected to the 8 pin as well. This also leads me to wonder if the unconnected header is the reason that the GPU fans do not turn. Thank you for your assistance.

Other specifics:
    CPU: AMD FX 8370
    RAM: 1 X Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866 Mhz
    Moniter: Older VGA flat screen through a Data Port to VGA adapter.
    PSU: 480 watt Rosewill, bundled with Rosewill case
    Last edited by dallypost; 10-22-2015, 11:53 AM.

Re: D6 error with 970 Extreme4 and Radeon R9 390

Originally posted by dallypost View Post
    PSU: 480 watt Rosewill, bundled with Rosewill case
    I'm positive the bundled 480W PSU is severely lacking when trying to power that R9 390X.

All the manuf's site that I look on regarding a R9 390X are stating a minimum of 750W PSU, including AMD's site.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Also, betting the manual states both 6pin and 8pin are required.

Regardless, you need a beefier PSU first and foremost before again attempting to power that card with your current 480W PSU.

What your doing currently is stressing the PSU well well beyond its breaking point and you should expect it to fail. Hopefully before taking out the CPU or MB when it does go up in smoke.

SAPPHIRE Technology
      System Requirement: 750 Watt Power Supply (Suggestion)
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

HERE, Guru3D states a minimum 550W-600W, and truth be told I would be looking for a 750W PSU.

And yes, you will need to connect both PCIe 6pin and PCIe 8pin to power that R9 390X. Confirmed looking at many sites just now, including AMD's.

Comment

Originally posted by dallypost View Post
          This is my first build since I put together a 486 machine. I guess that dates me.
          How's things going there?

Comment

Working...
          X