Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in upgrading my system please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in upgrading my system please.

I would like to upgrade my computer with a new motherboard, CPU and memory. The last time that I did an upgrade was in 2012, so I don't know anything about the new stuff. I don't do much gaming, I don't overclock. Mostly YouTube, hidden games, photo editing. I am on a really tight budget, probably around 200 to 250 max. I will be keeping my video card, hard drives, DVD writer and power supply. And I want this to be Windows 10 ready. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Here are my specs right now:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    ASRock P67 Pro3 ATX
    Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz
    PC3 GSKILL 2Gx2 F3-1600CL9D-4GBNS
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (EVGA)
    149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600JD-75HBC0 ATA Device (SATA)
    Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device (SATA)
    EVGA 500wat 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Re: Need help in upgrading my system please.

Any hardware that can run Windows 7 and 8.1 is ready for Windows 10. At least that's what Microsoft is saying.

I would recommend to wait with a hardware upgrade until the new Skylake CPUs and chipsets are released later this year. Especially the new chipsets will provide a big advantage over the current ones (like z97 or h97), e.g. more PCIe 3.0 lanes instead of just 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes.

If you can't or won't wait, then this may be a good setup for your needs:

ASRock H97 Pro4
    Intel Core i3-4370 @ 3.7GHz
    8 GB RAM DDR3-1600 from the Memory support list

I'm not sure if this setup fits your budget, since I don't know the costs in your area.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Thank you for answering me.
      I will be getting all components from Newegg. That board has good reviews, better than the one I was thinking of. And I was thinking of that CPU.
      I was thinking of this ram: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS - Newegg.com

I will have the money in about two weeks, if I wait I more than likely won't have it.

After I upgrade my computer, I give my old components to my son, then I will take his and give it to my brother who lives in an assistant living home. Right now my brother has an older system. So all of us will have an upgrade.
      Thank you again. Will post about what I get.

Originally posted by SandsOfTime View Post
      Any hardware that can run Windows 7 and 8.1 is ready for Windows 10. At least that's what Microsoft is saying.

I would recommend to wait with a hardware upgrade until the new Skylake CPUs and chipsets are released later this year. Especially the new chipsets will provide a big advantage over the current ones (like z97 or h97), e.g. more PCIe 3.0 lanes instead of just 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes.

If you can't or won't wait, then this may be a good setup for your needs:

ASRock H97 Pro4
      Intel Core i3-4370 @ 3.7GHz
      8 GB RAM DDR3-1600 from the Memory support list

I'm not sure if this setup fits your budget, since I don't know the costs in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by lamba View Post
        After I upgrade my computer, I give my old components to my son, then I will take his and give it to my brother who lives in an assistant living home. Right now my brother has an older system. So all of us will have an upgrade.
        And what about your brother's older system? Send to me?

Comment

Just a little note about the ram. This one is only for 1333 MHz speed, whereas the cpu is capable of 1600 MHz ram speed. So you do give away some speed. What about this one for just 1$ more: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL.
          ---

Comment

That is better, thank you.

Originally posted by SandsOfTime View Post
            Just a little note about the ram. This one is only for 1333 MHz speed, whereas the cpu is capable of 1600 MHz ram speed. So you do give away some speed. What about this one for just 1$ more: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL.

Comment

I will go against the trend.
              With your budget just go SSD for the main drive. Your spec doesn't say SSD.
              If you go with your upgrade check the PSU.

Comment

@Britgeezer:
                Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
                I will go against the trend.
                With your budget just go SSD for the main drive. Your spec doesn't say SSD.
                If you go with your upgrade check the PSU.
                Here are my specs right now:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
                ASRock P67 Pro3 ATX
                Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz
                PC3 GSKILL 2Gx2 F3-1600CL9D-4GBNS
                1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (EVGA)
                149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600JD-75HBC0 ATA Device (SATA)
                Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD
                HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device (SATA)
                EVGA 500wat 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
                If the OS is installed on this Seagate 2TB SSHD, then there is no need for an extra ssd. And why should he check the psu? 500W is more than enough for this setup.
                ---

Comment

@SOT.

Perhaps and if, we don't know.

The OP has a very tight budget, in my book I would go with an SSD for the OS and relegate the SSHD to storage and the other uses he mentions.
                  We don't know what the OP will actually change - 500W is at the lower end and should checked against his final spec.

Comment

Thank you for all of your input.

I will be keeping all computents except: Motherboard, CPU, and the Memory.
                    I have the 2 TB of the SSHD hard drive. I will probably never use that much. But I really like the drive, It is plenty fast enough for me. And yes I am on a tight budget. I probably will just use the graphics from the CPU. Because I know that my graphics card is old.
                    Oh and btw, I am a her. lol

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
                    @SOT.

Perhaps and if, we don't know.

The OP has a very tight budget, in my book I would go with an SSD for the OS and relegate the SSHD to storage and the other uses he mentions.
                    We don't know what the OP will actually change - 500W is at the lower end and should checked against his final spec.

Comment

Just thought that I would let the ones that answered me know what I ended up getting.
                      MB ASROCK H97 PRO4 LGA 1150
                      CPU INTEL CORE I3 4130 3.4G 3M
                      2Gx2 G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL
                      I was lucky in that I didn't have to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate.
                      Every thing is working fine, and now everyone is happy!!!
                      Thank you to the ones who took the time to help me!
                      lamba

Thank you for all of your input.

I will be keeping all computents except: Motherboard, CPU, and the Memory.
                      I have the 2 TB of the SSHD hard drive. I will probably never use that much. But I really like the drive, It is plenty fast enough for me. And yes I am on a tight budget. I probably will just use the graphics from the CPU. Because I know that my graphics card is old.
                      Oh and btw, I am a her. lol

Comment

great!
                        ---

Comment

Working...
                        X