Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same OS and HDD Transfer TO New Mobo - Need Help

Hey guys, newbie here on the forum with a motherboard question:

I know it's a bad idea to move your boot drive from one motherboard to another, but what about when you have two related boards in the same series from the same manufacturer?

For example, moving from ASRock Extreme6 X79 motherboard to a ASRock Extreme4 X79 motherboard

Here's a link comparing the two:
    Asrock X79 Extreme6 vs Asrock X79 EXTREME4-M - Motherboards Comparison

Is this a bad idea? How likely will I be able to boot without problems? I'd like to avoid reinstalling my OS.

Re: Same OS and HDD Transfer TO New Mobo - Need Help

With a modern day OS (Windows 7 and above) there is actually little risk, especially in the case you mention since the drivers are both for X79.

There is however no harm in taking precautions:
    • Back up the drive.
    • Remove any drivers that are different with the new MB (SATA, LAN, Sound), just check the components in both manuals.
    • Install just the new drivers, most important is the LAN. Windows will in fact look for and install most new drivers.
    • Reboot a few times and check for the Yellow!

Nowadays, the best reason to reinstall is to get rid of all the junk files and registry entries that pile up; or you can use CC cleaner.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: Same OS and HDD Transfer TO New Mobo - Need Help

I know you have possibly gone ahead buy now
      once you boot up and windows has realised it is the wrong board it will install drivers etc then give you 3days too reactivate
      just ring the toll free number at Microsoft and away you go
      IF IT AIN'T BROKE
      DON'T FIX IT

Comment

Working...
      X