Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Pro4 and SM951 problem.

Hi!

Here is the thing. As the Z97 Pro4 has a M.2 socket, I bought a SM951 256GB AHCI. At first installed it in that socket and hadno problem installing windows and booting it.

A month later I bought a M.2 to PCIe adapter to be able to get the maximun speed from the SM951 as the M.2 socket that has the Z97 Pro4 is just 10Gbps and I need 32Gbps to get "all the power" from the SSD.

Well, once installed in the PCIe adapter and pluged in PCIe socket, I cant see the SSD in the Bios, but I dont really care about it as I wasnt able to see the drive when I was in the m.2 Socket but It worked fine. Anyway, I boot windows installation from a USB stick in UEFI mode. Windows installer detects the SM951 and its well partitioned in GPT (checked in disk part).

Once the Installation is done, PC reboots to finish installation but instead booting from SSD it drives me to the BIOS. I have tried every single configuration in BIOS, several different Windows ISO's, tried in all different versions of BIOS, but it seems that its impossible to boot from the PCIe Socket with the adapter, even when the Windows installer detects the drive and its capable to install Windows. So the problem is the MOBO, no from Windows.

The most curious thing about this is that when I finish the Windows installation in the PCIE adapter, I check it doesnt boot, then I quit the adapter, I put the SM951 directly in the M.2 Socket and Windows boots and finish the installation with any problem, even without any CSM or Secure boot option changed in the BIOS.

I have been checking other kind of brands and they have an option in CSM to enable booting SSD from PCIE before booting the Graphic Card, and maybe thats why I cant make it work in my Z97 Pro4 MOBO, as I dont have that option, or at least I cant find it anywhere.

Anyway, I hope you can help me, as I'm quite angry after speding near 300€ and not being able to make it work more efficiently than a normal 60€ SSD.

Thanks in advance :).

EDIT: I got a moded BIOS from Asrock support. 2.20A. And now the SSD works in PCIe adapter :D.
    Last edited by alexflcl; 06-04-2015, 02:43 AM. Reason: SOLVED!

Re: Z97 Pro4 and SM951 problem.

I got response from Asrock and now the SSD works from PCIe adapter!

7secs boot, WOW!

1900GBps read and 1150 Write :D.

Comment

Re: Z97 Pro4 and SM951 problem.

Dear alexflcl,

We have provide special BIOS P2.20A add PCIE adapter compatibility.
      That can use PCIE slot with PCIE adapter add with sm951 device.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D...ew?usp=sharing
      Thank you.

ASRock
      TSD Eddy

Comment

Working...
      X