X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asrock z97 extreme 9 + sm951 256 GB m.2

OK!

I've done more digging and diagnostics and this is what I've come up with:

1.14 was the last BIOS that was operating correctly on the Extreme 9.
    1.30 and 1.52 have the exact same problems, but 1.52 can access the SM951.

In this image, BIOS version 1.14 you can see all of the UEFI options to boot from my USB stick:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.14 Pic4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	754949

Comment

In this image, BIOS version 1.52 you can see all of the UEFI options to boot from my USB stick are gone:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.52 Pic6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	754950

This problem is present in bios version 1.52 and 1.30 for the Extreme 9 motherboard.

I did notice that the UEFI option does present itself with USB sticks that are smaller than 4 GB (which is useless to install windows from).

Comment

Ok, so far I've found about 15 USB drives that won't allow me to UEFI boot with bios 1.52 (which did with 1.14).

I DID find ONE drive (16GB HP Branded thumb drive of all things) which allowed me to UEFI boot with bios 1.52.

So, at this point I have successfully installed Windows 7 on the SM951 with the Extreme 9 motherboard, but I definitely would like the bios fixed so that all of the USB drives I was able to use before would be UEFI bootable.

My next test is to see if it will allow me to BitLocker encrypt the SM951 as a boot drive, the inital tests didn't look too promising, but I'm forcing it anyways to see if it works. (It did work with the XP941, so we'll see).

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
          Dear RamCity,

Thanks for your information.
          Please kindly try to update below Z97 extreme6 BIOS L2.01N.
          Web word processing, presentations and spreadsheets

Below thread of discuss have some information about SM951, maybe this can help you.

If have further question, please feel free to contact us.

ASRock TSD
          Eddy
          Hi Eddy

With Bios 2.04 both the XP941 and SM951 can have windows installed with the drives in the M.2 socket - no problems. Are you saying I need to downgrade to version L.201N to be able to install windows with the M.2 SSD in the adapter?

Comment

Hi

I am looking to purchase this board (z97 extreme 9) and specifically want to know if it is possible to raid 2 x m.2 SM951 cards on this board to get even faster configuration, or do I need to go for the x99 Extreme 11?

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pete333 View Post
              Hi

I am looking to purchase this board (z97 extreme 9) and specifically want to know if it is possible to raid 2 x m.2 SM951 cards on this board to get even faster configuration, or do I need to go for the x99 Extreme 11?

Thanks

Peter

You would need the X99 Extreme 11 to have 2 of the Ultra M.2 slots as the Z97 only has 1 Ultra and 1 standard M.2 slot.

From this though, you can also see the support level from AsRock. I've had emails sitting out to them for weeks without a reply.

Comment

Comment

Hey Eddy,

Is ASRock going to ever answer back the e-mail that I sent to tech support on the 20th of June? My issue posted above STILL isn't resolved.

And to add to what you said, it may not support "hardware" RAID, or in this case "fake RAID", but you can still do a software RAID in either windows or linux.

Comment

Just as an update for everyone on this, it has now been over three months, and still no word from ASRock back on the bios issues supporting UEFI booting from external storage that the PC see's as a hard drive. Beyond that I have also seen that this issue has now spread beyond the Extreme 9, and has been integrated into every new ASRock bios so that their entire line of boards has the same problem.

Good work ASRock! (Sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
                      Dear bittoliquido,

I'm ASRock HQ Eddy_Huang
                      Please update below link of Z97 Extreme9 BIOS L1.52, this BIOS have update Samsung SM951 compatibility.

We will also update and put this version BIOS on our website recently.

If have any question, please feel free to contact us.
                      ASRock TSD
                      Eddy.

hi, i know this is an old thread, but i have the same issue, except i am using a z97 fatality killer, and i am wondering if this bios update can be used on my z97 killer, i currently have the latest update 2.20

Comment

Originally posted by ginomjolnir View Post
                        hi, i know this is an old thread, but i have the same issue, except i am using a z97 fatality killer, and i am wondering if this bios update can be used on my z97 killer, i currently have the latest update 2.20

It most certainly can NOT be flashed on your motherboard, you will brick it if you force flash it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelxin View Post
                          It most certainly can NOT be flashed on your motherboard, you will brick it if you force flash it.
                          Thats right, dont do that.

And Kelxin, you are absolutely right about UEFI version greater v1.14 bricks UEFI-USB support.
                          I already thought its just my board and Asrock-support was not lying... but they were.

I informed Asrock one year ago that UEFI 1.30 bricked those functionality.
                          See here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...uefi-boot.html

Asrock answered that they cannot reproduce this... funny is that i still cannot reproduce getting USB-UEFI devices listed ever since... and ive already installed 1.90. SAME PROCEDURE.

The good thing is that a post update brought functionality for UEFI-CD/DVD so XP941 and SM951 users are no more forced to downgrade to 1.14 to get USB stick-setup started.... because we can now just use our CDS with CSM activated and all set legacy, just fire up the windows setup, clean the correspondend disk and create new partition with all space. windows-setup then creates 100mb EFI-partition +128MB unallocated and we can finally click to start the installation on our M2-Ultra.

I wonder why Asrock does not recognise this. Shame on Asrock. Actually i encounter unextected shutdown on high SLI-load... Im going to RMA my Enermax Platimax 1350W and take a two week break from gamin until it arrives. If they found the PSU allright, i return this board in to Asrock, because the GPUs are fine and the board has problems with PCIe-Modes... no UEFI-setttings for that... also barely none for ASPM.

BTW: Have you tried with <32GB USB-Stick? UEFI-USB on this board seems to have limitations in the >1.14 versions.
                          Last edited by Incriminated; 01-03-2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X