asrock z97 professional Front USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock z97 professional Front USB

Hi Im having an issue, I just got this board and i can not get the front usb 3.0 ports to work.
    (not to mention the sound card being lost, but found the fix here to get it back temporally)

I have tried:
    • the ports with converter on the usb 2 headers and the work great.
    • all different settings in bios for usb
    • fresh install of windows
    • New drivers as i found out the front usb 3.0 is a asmedia ASM1074 hub via the manual
    • having only the keyboard and mouse plugged in
    • even a firmware update i found, but it says i have no asm1074

I get an error on start up unknown usb device, and in device manager "unknown usb device (link in compliance mode)".

this has been causing windows to randomly freeze on startup and from sleep, with the intel usb3.0 disabled in bios the random freezing stops

there is no device with asmedia under usb, the back intel usb 3.0 ports work fine when enabled, minus the freezing

so any help would be great thanks and I am Running windows 8.1 pro
    Last edited by mickr777; 03-28-2015, 10:24 PM.

Re: asrock z97 professional Front USB

First notice that the ASMedia ASM1074 is a USB Hub, not a USB 3.0 chip. It simply creates more available ports from the Intel USB 3.0 ports.

New USB 3.0 drivers? You shouldn't need any when using Windows 8.1. Intel does not provide a USB 3.0 driver for Windows 8 or 8.1. If you installed a USB 3.0 driver, that might be the problem.

Also, PC cases and the terrible USB 3.0 connector used to connect mother boards to USB 3.0 headers are infamous for causing problems. I had a new case that needed a replacement board for the USB 3.0 ports (Corsair.)

The convertor for USB 2.0 you used does not necessarily mean those USB 3.0 ports are working correctly. There could be problems with the additional connections in a USB 3.0 port, which is actually two USB 2.0 data connections combined into one port, with additional power supply connections.

Comment

Ok that makes sence about it being a hub.

The errors and problems still happen even when nothing is plugged in to the usb 3.0 headers on the board, so that's why I dismissed the ports on the case causing the issue.

The drivers where installed prior to a fresh install of windows.

Even had the usb 3.0 controller off in bios till I installed every update to windows 8.1 that was waiting in windows update, including and drivers under optional, and updated every other system driver from the asrock servers and not the mother board disc.
      Last edited by mickr777; 03-28-2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickr777 View Post
        Ok that makes sence about it being a hub.

The errors and problems still happen even when nothing is plugged in to the usb 3.0 headers on the board, so that's why I dismissed the ports on the case causing the issue.

The drivers where installed prior to a fresh install of windows.

Even had the usb 3.0 controller off in bios till I installed every update to windows 8.1 that was waiting in windows update, including and drivers under optional, and updated every other system driver from the asrock servers and not the mother board disc.
        All Z97 chipset boards have the Intel USB 3.0 support, as my ASRock Z97 board does. My USB 3.0 ports on the case work fine, I get no errors on startup, etc.

I use Win 8.1, with the driver supplied with it.

If you get the errors with nothing connected to the USB 3.0 headers on the board, then something may be wrong with the board.

But first I would closely look into each of the USB 3.0 headers on the board and see if any of the tiny wires are shorted to each other. It's a miracle those headers work at all, I cringe every time I plug a cable/connector into them, if one of the wires is not aligned perfectly, it will be bent. Shorting one or more of the... pins, which I call wires because they are so thin, will no doubt cause problems like you are describing.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          All Z97 chipset boards have the Intel USB 3.0 support, as my ASRock Z97 board does. My USB 3.0 ports on the case work fine, I get no errors on startup, etc.

I use Win 8.1, with the driver supplied with it.

If you get the errors with nothing connected to the USB 3.0 headers on the board, then something may be wrong with the board.

But first I would closely look into each of the USB 3.0 headers on the board and see if any of the tiny wires are shorted to each other. It's a miracle those headers work at all, I cringe every time I plug a cable/connector into them, if one of the wires is not aligned perfectly, it will be bent. Shorting one or more of the... pins, which I call wires because they are so thin, will no doubt cause problems like you are describing.
          Thanks for the reply

I looked in to the headers and there is no bent pins and nothing that could short pins out, I am going to take the board out and check the back and check there is nothing there.

Comment

Finally got the time to remove board, but nothing is shorting the pins out any where in and around the headers.

I am guessing it must be a faulty board :(

Comment

If you get those USB errors with nothing connected to those USB headers, it seems like the board is the problem.

When you had the USB 2.0 adapter connected to that USB 3.0 header, which worked apparently as you said earlier, did you get the unknown USB device error on startup, or the Device Manager errors?

If not, it seems something is wrong with the USB 3.0 connections to that header on the board. Have you cleared the CMOS/BIOS ever since you've had this problem? That would be amazing fix if it worked. Since the board seemed to do this from the start, that also makes it sound like a board problem IMO, to bad.

Are you using that Fatality mouse port? Just wondering if that could somehow be related to all this.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                If you get those USB errors with nothing connected to those USB headers, it seems like the board is the problem.

When you had the USB 2.0 adapter connected to that USB 3.0 header, which worked apparently as you said earlier, did you get the unknown USB device error on startup, or the Device Manager errors?

If not, it seems something is wrong with the USB 3.0 connections to that header on the board. Have you cleared the CMOS/BIOS ever since you've had this problem? That would be amazing fix if it worked. Since the board seemed to do this from the start, that also makes it sound like a board problem IMO, to bad.

Are you using that Fatality mouse port? Just wondering if that could somehow be related to all this.
                Yes unknown USB device error on start up and then in device manager link in compliance mode,
                and i have also reset the bios a few times.

I have nothing plugged into the fatality port, can it be disabled couldn't see a bios setting.

all USBs work but the 2 front USB 3.0 headers, I have bypassed the error and the freezes by disabling
                the intel usb 3.0 chipset and that turned all the usbs in to usb 2.0 and using a third party usb 3.0 pcie
                card till I have the time that I can go with out my computer to send the board back
                Last edited by mickr777; 04-04-2015, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X