Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote power on/off via wireless keyboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote power on/off via wireless keyboard.

No CIR circuit on my AS Rock motherboard, so need another way to control power remotely. Prefer not to use remote, keep clutter to a minimum. Is there a way yo achieve this va the keyboard? My KB is a Logitech K360 wireless mini.
    I am aware some AS Rock motherboards have a CIR header ready for the AS Rock module cable and remote kit, but no such header on my MB and not my ideal solution anyway because its has a remote. Would ideally want to use existing equipment such as the keyboard to do this. Maybe audio on/off but prefer not to sit in the corner speaking to myself.
    Proximity sensor? Obviously carefully placed reciever so not activated by accident.
    Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.
    Motherboard is H97M ITX/ac
    AS Rock H97M-ITX/AC, BIOS vers 1.8 Pentium G3258K CPU Alpenfrohn Silvretta CPU Cooler , 250GB Samsung EVO Boot . Toshiba 2.5" HDD 1TB data. Pico 160XT power module
    , Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 4GB x2, , . Win7 Pro 64 bit, Logitech k360 keyboard and Logitech M185 mouse. Realan W80 ITX case.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    AS Rock AB350 Fatal1ty-Gaming-ITX, BIOS 3.1, Ryzen3-1200, Samsung 960M.2 NVME 256GB boot, Firecuda 1TB Data, G-Unique 300watt power module, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 x2 (16GB), XFX R7-240 2 GB GPU, Lian-Li PC-Q21B ITX case.

Re: Remote power on/off via wireless keyboard.

Check the ACPI Configuration screen in the Advanced menu in the BIOS. Look for an option called USB Keyboard/Remote Power On, whose purpose is to do what you want to do, turn on the PC via the keyboard. There is a similar option for power on via a mouse. I'm not referring to the PS/2 Keyboard Power On option.

Even a wireless keyboard should work this way, since the USB ports where the keyboard receiver is connected have power supplied to them when the PC is shutdown. I can wake my PC from Sleep using a wireless mouse, even with that option disabled in the BIOS.

The only thing that concerns me is some Logitech keyboards and mice need their software running for all their features to be working correctly. But in this case it's only a simple signal sent from the keyboard, so it should work.

If you were to work on the PC, and disconnect power from it, the first time you apply power to the PC after that, the power on via the keyboard might not work. But after a normal shutdown or using Sleep, it should work.

Comment

Thanks Parsec, never thought of that approach. Will try it.
      AS Rock H97M-ITX/AC, BIOS vers 1.8 Pentium G3258K CPU Alpenfrohn Silvretta CPU Cooler , 250GB Samsung EVO Boot . Toshiba 2.5" HDD 1TB data. Pico 160XT power module
      , Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 4GB x2, , . Win7 Pro 64 bit, Logitech k360 keyboard and Logitech M185 mouse. Realan W80 ITX case.
      AS Rock AB350 Fatal1ty-Gaming-ITX, BIOS 3.1, Ryzen3-1200, Samsung 960M.2 NVME 256GB boot, Firecuda 1TB Data, G-Unique 300watt power module, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 x2 (16GB), XFX R7-240 2 GB GPU, Lian-Li PC-Q21B ITX case.

Comment

Could see no ref to KB in advanced bios, device manager has box ticked to turn on this PC via keyboard, but prob refers to waking from sleep state

Comment

From your board's manual, BIOS Advanced menu, ACPI Screen, second item from the bottom:

Click image for larger version

Name:	h97 keyboard power on.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	754884

Sometimes (?!) the manual is not kept up to date compared with BIOS update changes, but the USB Keyboard/Remote Power On option is a standard option for ASRock boards, and should be there.

Comment

Worked a treat, many thanks, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X