Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Mother-of-all-Computers Doesn't Want to Function = Help Desperately Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mother-of-all-Computers Doesn't Want to Function = Help Desperately Needed!

I would very much appreciate some (or a lot of) guidance from you gurus out there.
    I've just put together what, for me, was supposed to be the mother of all computers:
    Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 mobo; 32GB 2133C9 DDR3 RAM; i7 4790K CPU; XP941 M.2 512GB; AMD W600 GPU; plus supporting bits and pieces. Everything has been carefully, neatly put together.
    Switch-on - nothing on-screen. To reduce the number of potential trouble spots I've removed the GPU and gone straight from the rear panel DVI output to my monitor. I've tried to run with, and without, the XP941 installed. I've run with a Win 7 disk in the optical drive; I've run with a Win 7 installation USB stick; I've tried even with my laptop's SSD fitted. I've reset the CMOS every time I changed the configuration. In all configurations the result is the same.
    Watching the on-board display, four error codes appear during the 30 seconds or so that I let it run. The first three appear briefly, then the fourth stays there for as long as I leave the system running:
    4f = "A problem related to memory"
    b2 = Not sure - not listed
    A2 = "Problem related to IDE or SATA devices"
    99 = "Problem related to PCI-E devices"
    Apart from that little collection, everything else works fine. All the cooling fans (6) work; the optical drive works; the power button works; the power LED works; the PSU self-test worked and the PSU fan works; the lights on the RAM all work; the light on the liquid cooler works. Peripherals - no problem. Heart of the system - big problem!
    Can anyone suggest what the possible cause is, and what I can try next.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by DavidF; 02-17-2015, 03:45 AM.

Re: My Mother-of-all-Computers Doesn't Want to Function = Help Desperately Needed!

Dear DavidF,

The Dr debug code flow is display of system detect information.
    If the code hang at specific place, please try as below instruction for verify:
    ASRock > Support > FAQ

Regard of your information, is the code hang at 99 or pass?
    If the code hang at 99.
    We provide some suggestion for verify:
    (1)Please use basic device environment (CPU, only one memory, PSU) to boot up system and add once by one device to check your system.
    (2)Change VGA card to other PCIE slot for try.
    (3)Enter to BIOS >Advanced>Chipset Configuration>PCIE link speed to Gen2 or Gen1 for try.

If it can pass the debug code and enter to OS.
    Your system should have no problem.

Thanks for your reply.

ASRock TSD
    Eddy

Comment

Re: My Mother-of-all-Computers Doesn't Want to Function = Help Desperately Needed!

Thanks Eddy.

1. I don't have a VGA card. In the original set-up I had an AMD Sapphire W600 card installed on slot 2. I then tried it in slot 4. In order to eliminate the card as a possible cause of any of the problems I've now removed the card and I'm going direct from the DVI outlet on the motherboard rear panel to the monitor. That eliminates one possible problem.
      2. I can't enter the BIOS because I don't have video. Once I finally have video the BIOS is the first thing I'll be checking, to update if necessary.
      3. Tomorrow I'll follow your recommendation and remove three of the RAM sticks and see what effect that has.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidF View Post
        I would very much appreciate some (or a lot of) guidance from you gurus out there.
        I've just put together what, for me, was supposed to be the mother of all computers:
        Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 mobo; 32GB 2133C9 DDR3 RAM; i7 4790K CPU; XP941 M.2 512GB; AMD W600 GPU; plus supporting bits and pieces. Everything has been carefully, neatly put together.
        Switch-on - nothing on-screen. To reduce the number of potential trouble spots I've removed the GPU and gone straight from the rear panel DVI output to my monitor. I've tried to run with, and without, the XP941 installed. I've run with a Win 7 disk in the optical drive; I've run with a Win 7 installation USB stick; I've tried even with my laptop's SSD fitted. I've reset the CMOS every time I changed the configuration. In all configurations the result is the same.
        Watching the on-board display, four error codes appear during the 30 seconds or so that I let it run. The first three appear briefly, then the fourth stays there for as long as I leave the system running:
        4f = "A problem related to memory"
        b2 = Not sure - not listed
        A2 = "Problem related to IDE or SATA devices"
        99 = "Problem related to PCI-E devices"

Apart from that little collection, everything else works fine. All the cooling fans (6) work; the optical drive works; the power button works; the power LED works; the PSU self-test worked and the PSU fan works; the lights on the RAM all work; the light on the liquid cooler works. Peripherals - no problem. Heart of the system - big problem!
        Can anyone suggest what the possible cause is, and what I can try next.
        Thanks in anticipation.
        The only POST code, what you called error codes, that you need to be concerned with is whatever code remains on the display, IF you do not get the single beep from the board, indicating that POST completed fine. The ASRock rep implied that in their post, but did not fully explain it.

I suggest removing your video card (already done, I know), just use two of your memory DIMMs, in slots A2 and B2 (important to use those slots!), and after doing that, clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC again. Do NOT skip clearing the CMOS!

I'll also ask if you have connected a power cable from your PSU to the eight pin CPU power connector, found in the upper left hand area of the board, between the two blue heatsinks. It seems you may have, just checking, it is essential for the CPU to function.

If you have the little beep speaker for error codes, connect that to the board. Unfortunately, the default BIOS setting for that speaker is disabled on this board.

I have this board, and it works fine. What is the exact model number of your memory?

Your PC parts list includes a Samsung 850 Pro, and you mention a XP941 in your first post. I would suggest connecting the 850 Pro first, and be sure it is connected to an Intel SATA port. The top four SATA ports are the ASMedia SATA chipset ports, don't use those particularly when installing an OS. They also don't perform as well as the Intel ports.

Once you get into the BIOS, you will have the challenge of installing Windows on your XP941, which is NOT a plug and play SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          The only POST code, what you called error codes, that you need to be concerned with is whatever code remains on the display, IF you do not get the single beep from the board, indicating that POST completed fine. The ASRock rep implied that in their post, but did not fully explain it.

I suggest removing your video card (already done, I know), just use two of your memory DIMMs, in slots A2 and B2 (important to use those slots!), and after doing that, clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC again. Do NOT skip clearing the CMOS!

I'll also ask if you have connected a power cable from your PSU to the eight pin CPU power connector, found in the upper left hand area of the board, between the two blue heatsinks. It seems you may have, just checking, it is essential for the CPU to function.

If you have the little beep speaker for error codes, connect that to the board. Unfortunately, the default BIOS setting for that speaker is disabled on this board.

I have this board, and it works fine. What is the exact model number of your memory?

Your PC parts list includes a Samsung 850 Pro, and you mention a XP941 in your first post. I would suggest connecting the 850 Pro first, and be sure it is connected to an Intel SATA port. The top four SATA ports are the ASMedia SATA chipset ports, don't use those particularly when installing an OS. They also don't perform as well as the Intel ports.

Once you get into the BIOS, you will have the challenge of installing Windows on your XP941, which is NOT a plug and play SSD.

Thanks for the guidance Parsec. Firstly, to answer your questions:

POST code - 99 is the final code and remains displayed for as long as I choose to let the unit run. I don't get a beep from the board because the case doesn't appear to have an in-built speaker. I've searched for a connecting cable and for a speaker, without success. The manual makes no reference to it and the layout drawing makes no reference to it, so it looks to be speakerless.

Video card - yes, already removed so as to eliminate one potential problem source. Now going direct from motherboard DVI outlet on the rear panel to the monitor.

I've removed the DIMMs from A1 and B1, and also removed and refitted the A2 and B2 modules. No problems with them seating properly; those end clips make it near impossible to not fit them properly.

CPU power cable; yes, that's in place. Also, as per the Corsair manual, I ensured that I used the cable with the 8-pin plug, not the 6+2 plug.

Memory is CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 - 4 X 8GB modules. It's overkill; I was originally going to fit CMD32GX3M4A1600C9 but after waiting 6 weeks for stock I gave up and spent the extra to get 2133 ex-stock. I checked beforehand; both models are listed as compatible with the Z97 Extreme6 motherboard.

As of the OP I didn't have the 850 Pro installed; I've now connected it to an Intel SATA port. As previously noted, I originally had the XP941 fitted to the Ultra slot but removed it, as with the video card, to eliminate a potential trouble source. But yes, once I get around the current dramas and finally get into the BIOS, installing Windows onto the XP941 will be an interesting challenge. Fortunately I've got Ram City not too far distant so I can call on them for guidance where needed.

So, with 2 x DIMM modules removed, CMOS cleared, reconnect power and monitor and switch on. Sadly, no change in the outcome. 99 shows on the POST display and remains there for as long as I leave the system running. The monitor continues with the black screen of death.

I tried two other things. I switched to booting from BIOS B - no change. Secondly, I noted the comments in the posting "SOLVED: New Build: Z97 Extreme3 won't start" regarding the tightness of the motherboard mounting screws. Mine were firm but certainly not tight, however I backed all of them off so there is no pressure whatever on the board. There was no sign of flexing on the board; all mounting posts appear to be exactly at the correct height. No change in the outcome.

What's my next move?

Comment

I wanted to know your memory model number to check it against the memory support list. It is listed so that should not be a factor.

The POST beep speaker is not built into the PC case anymore, it is a small round device with two wires connected to a flat, four pin connector that plugs into the board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	post speaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	754844

So POST code 99, Problem related to PCI-E devices, but you don't have anything in a PCIe slot, do you? You only had the video card, and it has been removed. This is strange...

The guy with the problem that was fixed by loosening the screws for the mother board most likely had a short between the bottom of the board and the PC case, or an unused board standoff touching the board.

All I have for you now is your PSU seems to have a fairly high rate of DOA or problems when new. Can't say yours is bad but something to keep in mind. If you have another PSU, might be worth trying it in that PC for a test.

Still thinking about this...

Comment

Resolved: My Mother-of-all-Computers Doesn't Want to Function = Help Desperately Needed!

I'm delighted to advise that the problem is resolved. I won't bore you with the multitude of things I've tried over the past 2 - 3 days but the issue proved to be the monitor. The video mode AutoSelect is inconsistent; with Display Port the mode has to be manually selected and then Display Port has to be set to Active. This process doesn't apply to HDMI, DVI, ..etc..
              Thanks again Eddy / Parsec for your help

Comment

Dear DavidF

We glad the problem have been solved.
                Good luck to you~

ASRock TSD
                Eddy

Comment

Working...
                X