No internet with Intel Ethernet and static IP address on Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No internet with Intel Ethernet and static IP address on Extreme4

I just rebuilt a Windows 7 system with a Z97 Extreme4 motherboard, which includes an onboard Intel I218-V Ethernet adapter.

It works fine when using a dynamic IP, but when I change it to static, I lose internet connectivity. It still shows the connectivity as "Internet access" but the network type changes from "Home" to "Public" and the network name changes from "Network" to "Unidentified network". If I change it back to dynamic, I immediately get internet access again, and it changes back to "Home" and "Network".

I'm using static IP 192.168.1.2, which is what it was in this PC before I changed the motherboard, and the IP is not in use elsewhere on my LAN. I've also tried other IP's such as 192.168.1.90. And I tried changing my laptop to use the same static IP and it worked fine.

The router is at 192.168.1.1 and is set to use DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to .254. I'm using Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.

I also tried disabling and re-enabling the adapter, and even removing it completely, along with the driver, and re-installing it with the driver from the Extreme4 motherboard CD.

Thanks,
    Russell

Re: No internet with Intel Ethernet and static IP address on Extreme4

Originally posted by myuniqueusername View Post
    I just rebuilt a Windows 7 system with a Z97 Extreme4 motherboard, which includes an onboard Intel I218-V Ethernet adapter.

It works fine when using a dynamic IP, but when I change it to static, I lose internet connectivity. It still shows the connectivity as "Internet access" but the network type changes from "Home" to "Public" and the network name changes from "Network" to "Unidentified network". If I change it back to dynamic, I immediately get internet access again, and it changes back to "Home" and "Network".

I'm using static IP 192.168.1.2, which is what it was in this PC before I changed the motherboard, and the IP is not in use elsewhere on my LAN. I've also tried other IP's such as 192.168.1.90. And I tried changing my laptop to use the same static IP and it worked fine.

The router is at 192.168.1.1 and is set to use DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to .254. I'm using Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.

I also tried disabling and re-enabling the adapter, and even removing it completely, along with the driver, and re-installing it with the driver from the Extreme4 motherboard CD.

Thanks,
    Russell
    make sure you enter the DNS settings as well, either use the routers IP or use google DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)

Comment

Re: No internet with Intel Ethernet and static IP address on Extreme4

Thanks, but actually I had entered the DNS settings and it didn't make a difference.

However, I found the solution.

Every one of the dozen or so times I changed the adapter to a static IP, I always (always!) entered the default gateway, which was the router's IP 192.168.1.1. But while doing more tests today, I went back into the settings and found that the IP was still set to static, but the default gateway IP was blank. I entered the missing default gateway address, saved it, and it immediately switched back to the name "Network" and the type "Home". And I now have internet access.

So somehow the default gateway was getting lost when I saved the static IP address. Anyway, I'll leave this post here in case someone else comes across the problem.

Russell

Comment

Working...
      X