asrock m8 red hd light always on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock m8 red hd light always on

when i first set up my asrock m8 i used an old regular harddrive and the red hd light on the front would light up when the harddrive was active. ive now got a 256gb ssd and reinstalled windows 8.1 onto it. i notice that the red hd light on the front is always on. yet theres no disk activity. is that normal? i cant remember if it was on all the time or not. lol. im sure it wasnt.
    Last edited by anothadave; 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM.

Re: asrock m8 red hd light always on

A OS/Windows drive regardless of type (HDD, SSD) has almost constant activity. The HDD LED is a primitive monitor of disk activity, and almost worthless beyond a "is the C: drive running" indicator.

What are you using to monitor disk activity that shows none?

The Storage tab of Resource Monitor will sit at 0.00% activity, while the graphs of speed and queue depth show activity most of the time. So not a great measure of disk activity IMO.

My ASRock board has the HDD LED on most of the time, with short periods where it is off. I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD as the OS/C: drive on this PC. Your HDD may have been so slow to respond that you can see the difference between it and the SSD. That would not surprise me at all.

Comment

i was pretty sure that the red light on the front went out. but ive found a few review videos of the m8 on youtube and it looks like it stays on constantly. it must double as the power on light. i think with the standard hd the flickering was more pronounced. so i mistakenly thought it went out when there was no activity. but with the ssd because its so fast it just flickers and then returns to being constantly on. i was trying to fix a problem which wasnt there. lol.

Comment

I would like to chime in as another M8 owner, my red light stays on all the time with an occasional flicker. I also have an SSD (Samsung 850 Pro, the fastest ssd you can buy) Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
        X