Computer takes several tries to boot, random lock ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer takes several tries to boot, random lock ups

I updated my PC with a ASrock Z75 Pro 3, GTX 770, and a Hive 650w PSU last summer. The computer will take 2-3 tries to boot every time I turn it on. Larger issue Im having is that I get random crashes were the computer usually locks up and makes a garbled buzzing sound from the speakers. Sometimes the sound is in slow motion of what ever happens to be playing on my PC at the time. Not sure if its the same crash problem, but some blue screens which will reboot the system. I forget the error code, but something to do with the memory bus controller I think. I assume its related? PC just was able to get farther along to get a crash report running?

I tried to google the issue, sounds like it was the mother board or memory stick. I just replaced and updated with a new 8gb stick so thats not the issue. Sounds like I should try and update the bios, but I not sure what files Im supposed to be dloading. Also do I HAVE to have a flash drive? Can I copy to a cd? Any help on which files and how to go about the update, insight on what the problem is would be great!

Re: Computer takes several tries to boot, random lock ups

You updated your PC with this board, etc, did you do a new installation of Windows 8 ?

The Windows error logs and event logs could give you more clues to the source of the problem.

The audio output when the PC crashes are just random parts of digital audio being partially processed by a crashed system and don't mean anything.

The crashes are seemingly random, no pattern to them at all? Do you monitor system temperatures, particularly the CPU and video card?

No mention of the CPU you use, if you OC it at all. Do you use all default BIOS settings? What BIOS version do you have now?

Your board has a BIOS feature called Internet Flash, that will download the latest BIOS and install it. Unfortunately, one of the latest BIOS updates includes, "Change Internet Flash server.", which implies the URL to the ASRock BIOS server is hard coded into the BIOS, and I suspect the URL in the previous BIOS versions won't forward the request. Otherwise, why would ASRock include that in the description?

There are four BIOS update methods available for your board: Instant Flash, Internet Flash, DOS, and Windows. Each BIOS update method has instructions that are not difficult, but if ignored will cause bad results.

The Windows method is considered the least scary for (by) the inexperienced, but also seems to be the method that fails most often. IMO that is caused by not following the directions correctly. Specifically the last one, "Right click on the BIOS update file name and select Run As Administrator."

Both DOS and Instant Flash use a USB flash drive. For the DOS method, the flash drive must be made bootable, and so would a CD/DVD.

For Instant Flash the USB flash drive must be formatted as FAT32. Actually you could use a HDD partition formatted as FAT32 to store the Instant Flash file, but I've never done that. All you need is a 1GB or even smaller USB flash drive to store the BIOS file, is that even $5?

A BIOS update is not necessarily a fix for your problem, we need more information by answering my questions.

Comment

The CPU is a I5-2400, should have replaced that as well in hindsight. I started OC about a week ago, but that has not increased the lock ups that go back to last summer. Otherwise I havent changed anything. Windows was freshly installed. System info says Bios version date 10/01/2013 Bios mode legacy?

Far as I can tell the crashes are random. They are fairly rare. At most 1-3x in a single day which is very rare. Usually 1 crash every 3-4 days or more. Temps seem fine. At any given time I usually have chrome, email, a video running, and a game open. CPU runs at 25c-50c. I had to buy a new heat sink for the CPU when I replaced the motherboard which is drastically better then the stock one from the old system. GPU shows 22-36c. Think thats a bit low. I dont think Ive seen the GPU get above 50c.

Where do I find the windows error logs? Thank you for the info on the Bios files, the explanation on the instant, internet, and DOS clears much of that up. I thought they were all different files, doing different things, not same files/different ways to install. Any other thoughts on these problems, or information I can try and provide?
      Last edited by John1912; 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I updated the BIOS and the PC is booting on the first try now, so hopefully that means the lock ups will stop as well!

Comment

Working...
        X