Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem booting with ASRock Z87 OC Formula

Hello!

I have just recently upgraded my motherboard to the above. I have installed motherboards before with no issues, however.... This time i installed everything and turned the PC on. It fires up, fans spin the little screen on the MB comes on and displays Dr Debug 28 memory training (have no idea what that means???) nothing appears on the monitor, and then after about a minute it restarts itself. And the repeats this until i turn it off.

If anyone out there has come across this problem or has any idea as to how i can fix this i would be greatful.

Thanks,

Matt.

Re: Problem booting with ASRock Z87 OC Formula

So you just changed to the Z87 OCF board, from a different board using the same CPU and memory? If so, what was the other board? What CPU are you using?

Basically it seems you have a memory problem given the Dr Debug POST code, possibly compatibility. The board, CPU, and memory combination did not complete the POST process, so you won't get a signal to the monitor. What is the exact model number of the memory you are using, and what size and how many DIMMs? Is this new memory, or have you used it before?

You can't just use any DDR3 memory with any current CPU and board combination. The memory controller in the CPU has technical specs about the type of memory chips used on the DIMMs, and how they are configured. If they are not met, the memory is not compatible and won't work.

Your board's memory compatibility list is in the link below. It does not contain every memory model that will work with the board, but not being in the list is the first strike against it if the memory does not seem to work.

ASRock > Z87 OC Formula

If you are using two DIMMs, you should be using slots A2 and B2, which are the yellow memory slots. Check that the DIMMs are seated properly, which is easy to not get right.

If you have four DIMMs, try using two in slots A2 and B2. Or even just one DIMM is slot A2 or B2. If the memory is new, it might be defective, but that is unusual.

I have this board, and it seems very good about memory over clocking, and being able to deal with multiple types of memory, so your problem is unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      So you just changed to the Z87 OCF board, from a different board using the same CPU and memory? If so, what was the other board? What CPU are you using?

Basically it seems you have a memory problem given the Dr Debug POST code, possibly compatibility. The board, CPU, and memory combination did not complete the POST process, so you won't get a signal to the monitor. What is the exact model number of the memory you are using, and what size and how many DIMMs? Is this new memory, or have you used it before?

You can't just use any DDR3 memory with any current CPU and board combination. The memory controller in the CPU has technical specs about the type of memory chips used on the DIMMs, and how they are configured. If they are not met, the memory is not compatible and won't work.

Your board's memory compatibility list is in the link below. It does not contain every memory model that will work with the board, but not being in the list is the first strike against it if the memory does not seem to work.

ASRock > Z87 OC Formula

If you are using two DIMMs, you should be using slots A2 and B2, which are the yellow memory slots. Check that the DIMMs are seated properly, which is easy to not get right.

If you have four DIMMs, try using two in slots A2 and B2. Or even just one DIMM is slot A2 or B2. If the memory is new, it might be defective, but that is unusual.

I have this board, and it seems very good about memory over clocking, and being able to deal with multiple types of memory, so your problem is unusual.

Many Thanks for your reply Parsec!!!

I am currently sending this massage from my PC so it is now working!

I took all the new RAM out and as you said just put one stick in and it fired up!!

I now have 2 Sticks in, and it works fine.

I have tried putting all 4 sticks of RAM in but it does not seem to like it and comes up with memory training on Dr Debug?

the RAM i am using is HyperX FURY Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black

Is there any changes i can make so that i can putt all 32GB in my machine?

Its the reason i brought the Motherboard in the first place!!

Many Thanks again for replying and any further help would me much appreciated!!

Matt.

Comment

Well, the Kingston HyperX Fury model you listed does not have the true model number in it, but looking for it seems to be the (K)HX316C10FBK2/16 or (K)HX318C10FBK2/16. Those are not listed in the memory support list, but since two DIMMs work, and they are designed for Z87/Haswell systems by Kingston, they are basically fine.

Moving on to the irritating thing about some models of memory, is the "matched set" factor. You have two 16GB kits, and while they are the identical model, they are not a matched set of four 8GB DIMMs. That can annoyingly matter sometimes, the two kits can't work together since they were not matched to do so at the factory. I'm not sure that is the case here, but something to keep in mind.

Do you think that all four DIMMs work fine, but two at a time? Meaning you know all four are not defective? The two kits may be mixed up together at this point, no big deal, but you may need to verify all four are good when used two at a time.

Give this a try: With two DIMMs in and working, go into the BIOS, OC Tweaker, and then the DRAM Configuration screen. Scroll way down in that screen and look for the MRC Fast Boot option. Set that to Disabled. Back to the OC Tweaker screen, find the DRAM Boot voltage option, and the DRAM Eventual Voltage option. You'll probably need to increase both of those somewhat to handle all 32GB. Try setting DRAM boot voltage to 1.57V, and the DRAM Eventual voltage to 1.55V. Also, set System Agent Offset Voltage to 0.01V. Then save and exit the BIOS. Let the PC boot to Windows, then shutdown, remove power of course, and put the other two DIMMs in. Don't clear the BIOS, since you'll loose those settings and we know it won't POST with the standard settings. Then give it a try and see what happens.

Also, try setting the DRAM speed to 1600 at first, just to try getting all 32GB working. NO XMP setting!! IF we can get all 32GB booting fine at a lower speed, then you can try increasing the speed, and reducing the DRAM voltages a little bit at a time, if possible.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	754811
          Well, the Kingston HyperX Fury model you listed does not have the true model number in it, but looking for it seems to be the (K)HX316C10FBK2/16 or (K)HX318C10FBK2/16. Those are not listed in the memory support list, but since two DIMMs work, and they are designed for Z87/Haswell systems by Kingston, they are basically fine.

Moving on to the irritating thing about some models of memory, is the "matched set" factor. You have two 16GB kits, and while they are the identical model, they are not a matched set of four 8GB DIMMs. That can annoyingly matter sometimes, the two kits can't work together since they were not matched to do so at the factory. I'm not sure that is the case here, but something to keep in mind.

Do you think that all four DIMMs work fine, but two at a time? Meaning you know all four are not defective? The two kits may be mixed up together at this point, no big deal, but you may need to verify all four are good when used two at a time.

Give this a try: With two DIMMs in and working, go into the BIOS, OC Tweaker, and then the DRAM Configuration screen. Scroll way down in that screen and look for the MRC Fast Boot option. Set that to Disabled. Back to the OC Tweaker screen, find the DRAM Boot voltage option, and the DRAM Eventual Voltage option. You'll probably need to increase both of those somewhat to handle all 32GB. Try setting DRAM boot voltage to 1.57V, and the DRAM Eventual voltage to 1.55V. Also, set System Agent Offset Voltage to 0.01V. Then save and exit the BIOS. Let the PC boot to Windows, then shutdown, remove power of course, and put the other two DIMMs in. Don't clear the BIOS, since you'll loose those settings and we know it won't POST with the standard settings. Then give it a try and see what happens.

Also, try setting the DRAM speed to 1600 at first, just to try getting all 32GB working. NO XMP setting!! IF we can get all 32GB booting fine at a lower speed, then you can try increasing the speed, and reducing the DRAM voltages a little bit at a time, if possible.

Comment

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Glad you posted that picture, since I see something you did not mention, or I missed. Both DIMMs are in Channel B, and given what you are saying, Channel A does not seem to be recognized at all for some reason.

The Haswell processors used in this board have a dual channel memory controller. Each black and yellow slot pair is one channel, the pair on the left channel A, on the right channel B. You seem to not have the memory recognized in channel A.

BTW, what BIOS version do you have now, and what CPU are you using?

First thing to check is in the BIOS, DRAM Configuration screen again. At the top of that screen are two options, Channel A DIMM Control, and Channel B DIMM Control. These are unusual options in that they let you turn off one or both DIMMs in either channel.

I'm hoping that Channel A DIMM Control is set to Both DIMMs off, or at least one DIMM off. How it got that way, who knows, but it might be. Set it to Both DIMMs on, save and exit. Of course shutdown the PC and put the two other DIMMs in and see what happens.

If that was not the problem, keep reading.

I wish you could at least get into the BIOS with all four DIMMs in place. In the Tools section is the System Browser utility, that lets you see if hardware you are using is detected. I can see all four DIMMs in System Browser.

If that BIOS setting was not set to Both DIMMs off, then for some reason memory channel A seems to be not working. Two main reasons for that, one is the board is defective, memory channel A simply does not work.

Second is the CPU socket has bent pins, which are not contacting the processor. Those pins happen to be associated with the memory controller. Or possibly the CPU was not mounted correctly. To check this, you must remove the processor. IMO you are at that point in diagnosing this problem.

The pins in the socket should look all the same, like this:

Name:	socket 1150 2.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	754812

If you see any flaws in the pattern of the pins, then look closer. I hope you don't see any.

Comment

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	754813
              "A picture is worth a thousand words."

Glad you posted that picture, since I see something you did not mention, or I missed. Both DIMMs are in Channel B, and given what you are saying, Channel A does not seem to be recognized at all for some reason.

The Haswell processors used in this board have a dual channel memory controller. Each black and yellow slot pair is one channel, the pair on the left channel A, on the right channel B. You seem to not have the memory recognized in channel A.

BTW, what BIOS version do you have now, and what CPU are you using?

First thing to check is in the BIOS, DRAM Configuration screen again. At the top of that screen are two options, Channel A DIMM Control, and Channel B DIMM Control. These are unusual options in that they let you turn off one or both DIMMs in either channel.

I'm hoping that Channel A DIMM Control is set to Both DIMMs off, or at least one DIMM off. How it got that way, who knows, but it might be. Set it to Both DIMMs on, save and exit. Of course shutdown the PC and put the two other DIMMs in and see what happens.

If that was not the problem, keep reading.

I wish you could at least get into the BIOS with all four DIMMs in place. In the Tools section is the System Browser utility, that lets you see if hardware you are using is detected. I can see all four DIMMs in System Browser.

If that BIOS setting was not set to Both DIMMs off, then for some reason memory channel A seems to be not working. Two main reasons for that, one is the board is defective, memory channel A simply does not work.

Second is the CPU socket has bent pins, which are not contacting the processor. Those pins happen to be associated with the memory controller. Or possibly the CPU was not mounted correctly. To check this, you must remove the processor. IMO you are at that point in diagnosing this problem.

The pins in the socket should look all the same, like this:

[ATTACH]7526[/ATTACH]

If you see any flaws in the pattern of the pins, then look closer. I hope you don't see any.
              Hi Parsec,

Thanks again, I have looked in the BIOS but i dont seem to have Channel A DIMM Control, and Channel B DIMM Control? (see above Photo) I cannot see it anywhere in the DRAM config? also e my machine is in single channel memory mode? I have tried attaching more photos but it looks like its one at a time on this forum. Would this be a problem, or would that just switch when more RAM was plugged in normally?

I dont want to take the chip out untill i find this DRAM control in the BIOS.

I dont know where to fine the bios version, its usually quite obvious??

I have a i5 3.00 Haswell Chip.

Thanks Again,

Matt.

Comment

Your single picture is fine, I assume you don't have these options because of the BIOS version you are using, which is why I asked which version you have.

The main screen of the BIOS with the CPU information also shows the BIOS version, the latest version is 2.10. If you've never updated the BIOS, you most likely don't have that version. But if you don't have these options, they don't apply to your situation and this can't be your problem.

Name:	z87ocf dimm control.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	754815

Would using the version 2.10 BIOS fix your problem? I don't know, nothing about memory is included in the 2.10 description, but things not included in the description appear in new BIOS versions all the time, like these options. I can't believe a bug that only let memory channel B work by earlier BIOS versions was not seen by other users of this board, including myself.

You could try updating to BIOS 2.10, but no guarantee that it will fix your problem. I guess you have no choice but to try, have you ever done a BIOS update on this board?

If not, you'll have whatever came with the board, which is printed on small white stickers on the BIOS chips. The BIOS chips are just to the right of the Dr Debug display, right above the board's Reset button.

Comment

Your single picture is fine, I assume you don't have these options because of the BIOS version you are using, which is why I asked which version you have.

The main screen of the BIOS with the CPU information also shows the BIOS version, the latest version is 2.10. If you've never updated the BIOS, you most likely don't have that version. But if you don't have these options, they don't apply to your situation and this can't be your problem.

[ATTACH]7529[/ATTACH]

Would using the version 2.10 BIOS fix your problem? I don't know, nothing about memory is included in the 2.10 description, but things not included in the description appear in new BIOS versions all the time, like these options. I can't believe a bug that only let memory channel B work by earlier BIOS versions was not seen by other users of this board, including myself.

You could try updating to BIOS 2.10, but no guarantee that it will fix your problem. I guess you have no choice but to try, have you ever done a BIOS update on this board?

If not, you'll have whatever came with the board, which is printed on small white stickers on the BIOS chips. The BIOS chips are just to the right of the Dr Debug display, right above the board's Reset button.

Hi Parsec,

Thanks again for your reply. I have updated my Bios from 1.20 to 2.10. I now see the option you have above to turn the ram slots on and off. both are on and still Dr Debug gives me 28 error memory training, what on earth does that mean? is there anywhere i can look that code up? if i google memory training the obvious things i dont need come up?? I me seriously thinking about contacting asrock and asking for my money back, mo old mother board had 16gb in it and i only brought this one to put more ram in. it shouldnt be this hard to install ram, i have never ever done anything but plug it in and switch the computer on.

Anything else you can think of to help o would be grateful.

Cheers,

Matt.

Comment

I've got nothing else for you besides a defective board, memory channel A not working, or bent CPU socket pins.

It's not hard to install RAM, that is not the problem. You can't take the Dr Debug code literally all the time.

You need to return that board to your retailer and get another. Most Z87 or Z97 boards support 32GB of memory, and can use your CPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X