Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock x99M fatal1ty killer memory compatibilty

Dear Community,
    I am trying to configure GSKILLS F4-2800C15Q-32GRBB on this motherboard .
    No matter what I do :

- The mobo will only accept 2 slots of RAM , If I plug 3 of 4 DDR4 slots, the mobo wont boot ...
    - I am also unable to enable XMP2.0 OC profile , as soon as I do it I end up with the same issue .
    - The system is not detecting the memory properly , it only see a dualchannel memory instead of a quad-channel memory

Has anyone come accross the same kind of issue ? I have also tried to follow this
    ASRock X99M Extreme4 And Fatal1ty X99M Killer Firmware

But no luck , I will really appreciated some help ...
    Thanks

Re: Asrock x99M fatal1ty killer memory compatibilty

Originally posted by kienast View Post
    Dear Community,
    I am trying to configure GSKILLS F4-2800C15Q-32GRBB on this motherboard .
    No matter what I do :

- The mobo will only accept 2 slots of RAM , If I plug 3 of 4 DDR4 slots, the mobo wont boot ...
    - I am also unable to enable XMP2.0 OC profile , as soon as I do it I end up with the same issue .
    - The system is not detecting the memory properly , it only see a dualchannel memory instead of a quad-channel memory

Has anyone come accross the same kind of issue ? I have also tried to follow this
    ASRock X99M Extreme4 And Fatal1ty X99M Killer Firmware

But no luck , I will really appreciated some help ...
    Thanks

No one ? :(((((

Comment

I have the X99M Extreme4 with four sticks of F4-2400C15-4GRR for 16GB total that work as they should. The CPU is the i7-5960X. I'm not using any overclocking at all - just the default automatic settings. This is the most reliable machine I've built in a long time. It's fast too.

What sort of power supply do you have? Could you have a power shortage? I'll assume you've tried all four sticks in the machine in pairs and that works.

Bye.

Comment

First, X99 is a new platform and not many people have it yet. Plus how many use the same board as you? Not very many, so the amount of people with experience with it is small.

Also since X99 is a new platform, it is still getting issues sorted out with the BIOS, etc. So it may take time and effort to get things working, and possibly BIOS updates.

Your memory, GSKILLS F4-2800C15Q-32GRBB, is not listed in your board's memory support list. You would think that memory designed for an X99 system would work fine with it, but who knows?

I notice that G.SKILL's QVL list of boards they tested for compatibility with your memory is empty, not one entry. I know this memory is a new model, but that is strange.

The memory used in the Toms test of your board is not the same model that you have, they used G.SKILL F4-3000C15Q-16GRR, with four 4GB DIMMs.

If you check page 3 of the Tom's review, you see that they had to adjust the BCLK to the 125MHz strap, to get the memory near 3000. They also had to increase the memory voltage, which you should also do when using four DIMMs. The highest memory frequency spec for any i7-59XX processor is 2133, anything above that is an OC that is not guaranteed. Any memory OC over 2133 will increase the BCLK, which affect the CPU speed and PCIe speed.

When you apply the XMP profile, that likely sets the BCLK strap to 125MHz, which also affects the CPU speed, causing an OC of the CPU. Can you verify that happens?

You've given us no information about any CPU OC that you are using, or not. Have you increased the memory voltage at all, and what is it set to now?

Did you test all four DIMMs, two at a time to make sure they all work? When you went from two to four DIMMs, did you clear the BIOS before starting the PC? That should be done when changing or adding memory.

Did you try using all four DIMMs at at lower clock speed, say 2133, while using Auto settings for the timings?

When you say the PC won't boot, can you get into the BIOS? Does the board complete POST but then won't boot your OS?

Your board has the Dr Debug POST code display. When the PC "won't boot", what code is shown in the display?

Comment

Hello,
          Thanks all for your replies .

- I did the test of using 1 pairs of dimms only , that works . I also only used two of the dimms and vice versa , that also works . The issue is only when I am trying to insert a third or a fourth module.
          With 3 or 4 modules the mobo will boot and stop after 5 seconds with the error code below .

- The error code I have is B7 which means:
          "
          Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules."

- I agree the ram I am using is not listed in their compatibility list .

- I had the issue when I first built the PC , without OC , now the machine run at 4.0GHZ .
          - The power supply is a Corsair AX1200I so I do not think this could be an issue

I will be receiving new 4 DIMMS this afternoon that are in the Asrock compatibility list , will let you know .

thanks
          D

Comment

Ok , I received this morning 4 DIMMs of Corsair Vengeance . This DIMM is certified by Asrock for this board .
            Whatever I do , as soon as I plug a DIMM on either C1 or D1 I have the error code B7 mentioned before .

Could this be a faulty motherboard ?

thanks

Comment

Sorry the new memory did not work, I hope you did not need to pay for both models of memory, and were able to return the G.SKILL memory.

I don't think you said if you tried this, but do two DIMMs work just in slots C1 and D1? Or one DIMM in C1 or D1? You should always clear the BIOS/CMOS every time after you add or remove any of the DIMMs.

If one or two DIMMs in slots C1 and/or D1 do not work, but they do work in slots A1 and B1, then either the board is defective, or the CPU socket has damage as described below.

The manual's description of one fix for this problem is reinstalling the CPU. Since the memory controller is in the CPU, it is possible that the pins in the CPU socket are not contacting the contacts on the bottom of the CPU correctly. That can be caused by bent pins in the CPU socket. Some CPU coolers can be adjusted to press on the CPU with great pressure, and if there is to much pressure, the small board the CPU is mounted on can bend, and the pins in the socket don't contact the CPU correctly. Sometimes the pins that are not making correct contact are for the memory controller.

I know it is a lot of work to remove the CPU cooler and check the pins in the CPU socket, but you are at that point in finding the problem. Your CPU socket has 2,011 pins in it (!!!) and are very small, and damage to them can be hard to see.

If the CPU socket pins have no damage, and the CPU cooler is not pressing to hard on the CPU, and you can't get any of the DIMMs to work in slots C1 and D1, then the board is most likely defective.

Comment

hello Parsec,
                Thanks for your reply . I was very carefull while installing the CPU and I would not see/understand why the CPU would have some bended pins ...but I will check .

One last question , is there a way/tool to check that communication between the CPU and the DIMM slots on the motherboard are at least communicating correctly ?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kienast View Post
                  hello Parsec,
                  Thanks for your reply . I was very carefull while installing the CPU and I would not see/understand why the CPU would have some bended pins ...but I will check .

One last question , is there a way/tool to check that communication between the CPU and the DIMM slots on the motherboard are at least communicating correctly ?

thanks
                  OK , I found the issue , there are 2 pins bended on the motherboard cpu socket......:(((((
                  I must have bended them when I mount the HYDRO H100i on it...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

OMG sorry to hear that!

Time to Google "fixing bent CPU socket pins", and see if you think you can do that yourself. Trying to return the board with bent pins usually results in it being rejected.

How bad does it look? People have fixed bent pins, depending on how bad they are. Good luck with that!!

Comment

Hello
                      Here is the reply received after i contacted Asrock RMA support. I am happy with the support , I will RMA the board and get another one in 2/3 months.
                      I am not in a rush anyway .
                      Thanks
                      David

"Dear Customer,

Best regards,

Roy Hurkens

RMA/Service & Logistics Department"

Comment

Apparently they are having a ton of issues with this board. My first board lasted exactly 30 days and burnt up, they sent me a second board and it was DOA. Now almost 4 months later my third board came in and it only sees half the memory?...wth? I rely on this build for a lot of autocad 3D modeling and they have cost me literally thousands of dollars in lost revenue. If you discover it wasn't because of bent pins let me know... ​

Comment

Originally posted by YaTi View Post
                          Apparently they are having a ton of issues with this board. My first board lasted exactly 30 days and burnt up, they sent me a second board and it was DOA. Now almost 4 months later my third board came in and it only sees half the memory?...wth? I rely on this build for a lot of autocad 3D modeling and they have cost me literally thousands of dollars in lost revenue. If you discover it wasn't because of bent pins let me know... ​
                          Sorry for posting on a dead thread, but I'm having the same problem. First board burnt up like yours (made my whole room smell like electronics smoke for 5 days). I received my second board and it does the same thing (b7). I can get it to work with one stick (only 4 gigs), but like you I am a professional and use this rig for heavy video and photo editing. My backup is a MacBook Pro, and I've had to use that for the last month and a half. I'm using the Adata XPG Z1 4x4GB kit. I keep getting that b7 error code no matter what I do. I wonder if they'll trade out this board for another X99 model mobo. Yours seems to be doing better than mine, at least you can see half the memory, I only see 1/4. Do you have any suggestions on what I RMA next (CPU, RAM, PSU)?

ARGH, should have gone with Gigabyte in the first place.

P.S. Did you ever get yours resolved?

Comment

Unfortunately no... I am on board number 5, this last time I even sent it to them with the ram and they tested it, supposedly it was fine but they sent a new board instead. This board is doing the same thing. Only sees half the ram but in the overclocking menu it shows a module in every slot, windows 10 only recognizes half my ram but CPUID sees all of it... wth..... I think it is an issue with certain processors. What CPU are you running?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	32GBRam16GBRam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	755023

Originally posted by nicon View Post
                            Sorry for posting on a dead thread, but I'm having the same problem. First board burnt up like yours (made my whole room smell like electronics smoke for 5 days). I received my second board and it does the same thing (b7). I can get it to work with one stick (only 4 gigs), but like you I am a professional and use this rig for heavy video and photo editing. My backup is a MacBook Pro, and I've had to use that for the last month and a half. I'm using the Adata XPG Z1 4x4GB kit. I keep getting that b7 error code no matter what I do. I wonder if they'll trade out this board for another X99 model mobo. Yours seems to be doing better than mine, at least you can see half the memory, I only see 1/4. Do you have any suggestions on what I RMA next (CPU, RAM, PSU)?

ARGH, should have gone with Gigabyte in the first place.

P.S. Did you ever get yours resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by YaTi View Post
                              Unfortunately no... I am on board number 5, this last time I even sent it to them with the ram and they tested it, supposedly it was fine but they sent a new board instead. This board is doing the same thing. Only sees half the ram but in the overclocking menu it shows a module in every slot, windows 10 only recognizes half my ram but CPUID sees all of it... wth..... I think it is an issue with certain processors. What CPU are you running?
                              [ATTACH]7854[/ATTACH]
                              Ha-ha! Literally 10 seconds after clicking submit on my last post, the pc randomly shuts off and the ever-potent odor of burning electronics fills the room. I've burnt another mobo!
                              Pic: http://i.imgur.com/Qej8lsP.jpg

Anyways, I'm using a 5820k. At this point I'm going to RMA everything (CPU, RAM, PSU) and if nothing works I'll either try to get a full refund on the board and go with the GIGABYTE model or I might also try to see if they'll give me a X99M Extreme 4. Unlike yours, mine simply won't boot with more than 1 stick 90% of the time. The times that I can get it to boot with more than 1 stick (i.e. 2 sticks), it only shows up as recognizing 1 stick. Sometimes the slots recognition is all wrong.
                              EX:
                              Slot D1 filled, reports slot B1 filled.

Sorry about your problems too. I'll probably send my RAM and maybe even CPU to them to test with before they send me a replacement. I'm worried that all of this burning of motherboards has affected my other components...

P.S. It looked so good!
                              Pic: http://i.imgur.com/qpIY3Tn.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X