Z97 Extreme 4 boot options graphical bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme 4 boot options graphical bug

Hi guys, i'm experiencing a graphical bug with the boot menu (F11) at startup, the first few weeks it worked fine but all of the sudden i get an almost blank blurry screen with the asrock logo on top and the boot options are hidden. They partially appear when i "wipe" around with my mouse cursor..

I've tried resetting the uefi settings to default - didn't work. Did anyone experience this before?

Screenshots

Re: Z97 Extreme 4 boot options graphical bug

I don't have your exact board, I have the Z97 Extreme 6, and I've never seen this before.

Is that the only display problem you have? Once you boot into Windows, is the display fine? Is the UEFI/BIOS UI fine? Seems like they must be.

What are you using for the graphics source, the on CPU Intel or video card?

Your board has had two UEFI updates, both which have a VBIOS update, which is for the on CPU graphics. The latest version is 1.50, dated 12/29/2014.

I would suggest flashing the UEFI to the same or newer version, in case something was corrupted in your current UEFI.

Comment

it worked .. really could've thought of that myself. thank you! still wondering how that happened without updating.

And while i'm here - i've heard that nowadays the usb ports stay powered up when the system is off ( e.g. for loading cell phones ) - but that's not the case. Could that have to do with me using an older PSU? Could'nt find any settings in the efi menu.

Comment

"It worked" means flashing the UEFI again I assume, great! Just curious if it was the same UEFI version or a different one.

Why did that happen to you? I don't know, but I was reading about ECC RAM memory recently, and it said one of the causes of bit errors in memory chips is cosmic rays. That is, the tiny parts of atoms that for example the sun shoots out constantly, but increases during various "solar events". These particles by chance collide with the atoms making up the transistor in a memory bit, and cause it to change its state, from 0 to 1 or vice versa. Another explanation would be gremlins.

If this problem happens again, it's possible the CMOS chip storing the UEFI is bad. A bad battery on the board can also do strange things.

Here's the thing about the USB ports and being powered up, if what I'll describe is what you experienced.

If you have a USB device connected to a port, and the device uses power, the USB port will continue to provide power to the device when the PC is shutdown. If the USB port is empty when the PC is shutdown, it won't provide power to a USB device that is then plugged into the USB port.

Did you try connecting a USB device to an empty USB port when the PC was shutdown? If not, please explain what you did.

I too have wondered about whether or not the PSU is contributing to this situation or not, but I tend to believe it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
        X