Pc doesn't detect hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc doesn't detect hard drive

Hi,I have ASRock P4I65G and I want to uinstall windows 7 ultimate but It doesn't detect the hard drive.I did everything I could to solve this problem,reseted the CMOS,changed settings from BIOS,checked the cables and power cables,changed the designation from master to slave and the opposite but nothing worked.Has anyone any idea.

Re: Pc doesn't detect hard drive

So this MB has SATA and IDE connections. Unfortunately you wrote uinstall so its not clear if you want to install or uninstall.

The response would be different; but lets assume you want to install the SW since you mention having changed the master/slave jumpers. I'm assuming you have no SATA drives that you could use ... its been years since I messed with IDE.

Is this the first time you used this MB? I'm trying to find out if it was known to work before or is new to you and may have issues.

Given what you say you have done and you set primary/secondary channels to auto in the BIOS your trying both the connectors on the same cable should have overcome the normal error of mismatched HD jumper.

Have you tried the 2nd IDE connector?
    Is the MB recognizing anything, perhaps a DVD drive?

Your MB manual has some very specific guidance of IDE section 2.6 page 16, have you done this? Some cables were not keyed and could be inserted the wrong way round. Same goes for setting IDE in BIOS in section 3.3.4.

Check out that you have followed all those requirements and let us know.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-15-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
      So this MB has SATA and IDE connections. Unfortunately you wrote uinstall so its not clear if you want to install or uninstall.

The response would be different; but lets assume you want to install the SW since you mention having changed the master/slave jumpers. I'm assuming you have no SATA drives that you could use ... its been years since I messed with IDE.

Is this the first time you used this MB? I'm trying to find out if it was known to work before or is new to you and may have issues.

Given what you say you have done and you set primary/secondary channels to auto in the BIOS your trying both the connectors on the same cable should have overcome the normal error of mismatched HD jumper.

Have you tried the 2nd IDE connector?
      Is the MB recognizing anything, perhaps a DVD drive?

Your MB manual has some very specific guidance of IDE section 2.6 page 16, have you done this? Some cables were not keyed and could be inserted the wrong way round. Same goes for setting IDE in BIOS in section 3.3.4.

Check out that you have followed all those requirements and let us know.
      First I was trying to install windows,sorry for this.I did everything you said but the problem remains.I have also took some pictures to see how things are

Last edited by WantedStarling; 01-16-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Please confirm if this is a used MB or at least that it was previously known to work.

Looks like you are using a USB optical drive, you don't have an IDE version you could try?
        What size is that HD?
        I can't see the jumpers on the HD - are they in auto or master position.
        Some ATA cables were keyed and could not be reversed others could, as I recall the red line of the cable must align with pin1 - I can't see from your picture if that's the case.
        Can you try another cable (yes a 3rd one) or a different HD?

From your manual:

Primary IDE connector (Blue) Secondary IDE connector (Black)
        (39-pin IDE1, see p.9 No. 8) (39-pin IDE2, see p.9 No. 9)

Note: If you use only one IDE device on this motherboard, please set the IDE
        device as “Master”. Please refer to the instruction of your IDE device vendor
        for the details. Besides, to optimize compatibility and performance, please
        connect your hard disk drive to the primary IDE connector (IDE1, blue) and
        CD-ROM to the secondary IDE connector (IDE2, black).
        Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-16-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

It is a used MB.Again i tried everything you said and still the problem remains.I guess I have to buy a new hard drive.

Comment

Without spare parts for trouble shooting its very hard to be specific as to this issue being MB or HD. Can you borrow a HD? Perhaps from a friend?

If you do end up buying one, can I suggest buying a SATA version...., but remember you will need the SATA data cable and a molex to SATA power adapter if your current power supply doesn't have this option.

Comment

Originally posted by WantedStarling View Post
              It is a used MB.Again i tried everything you said and still the problem remains.I guess I have to buy a new hard drive.
              Don't bother, it is probably not the hard drive.

The Intel chipset on this board, the 865G, and most important, the ICH5 SATA chipset, is very old. Intel announced in 2009 that they will not be offering Windows 7 driver support for a long list of their own boards and chipsets, including the 865G:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...eng&ProdId=950

If we check the download page for the P4i65G board, we find that OS support ended with Windows XP. I can't see an Intel IDE, PATA, or SATA driver even for XP among the files in the download list.

The most I can suggest to you is to borrow a SATA HDD or find a very cheap one, and if you are lucky it might be detected.

If Windows 7 does not have a built in driver for the ICH5 chip, and Intel has never made a Windows 7 driver for the ICH5 chip, what are the chances that you'll be able to find one?

Start searching for "ICH5 IDE driver", or ICH5 PATA driver", and "ICH5 SATA driver", but remember anything you find must be checked for its OS support. Even if you find a driver that might work with Windows 7, you'll need a USB flash drive or a floppy disk drive to load the driver when installing Windows 7. There is no guarantee that will work even if you get to that point, the Windows 7 installer may reject the driver as not compatible.

If you really want to use that board, find an XP installation disk.

Comment

Working...
              X