PC powering on by itself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC powering on by itself!

I have a little annoying issue with my PC powering on by itself and i'm not exactly sure what's causing it. It only recently started after updating the Asrock Z97 Extreme4 BIOS to version 1.50. I've checked the BIOS to make sure anything that can wake or power up the PC is disabled (such as wake on lan). I'm also running Windows 8.1 64-bit. It has switched itself on 4 times now in the last week!

Does anyone have any ideas? I usually completely shutdown the PC when i'm finished so it's not in sleep mode.

Re: PC powering on by itself!

I finally recently solved this and it turned out to be the Intel Smart Connect software. Turn it to Off in there or uninstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by wolf2009 View Post
      I finally recently solved this and it turned out to be the Intel Smart Connect software. Turn it to Off in there or uninstall it.
      Interesting, if the PC is shutdown (not sleeping) its a surprise (to me) that ISM could cause the PC to start.

Glad you fixed it though.

Comment

I always have smart connect disabled. Anyway, My PC appears to have stopped turning itself on after I disabled the "Dehumidifier" function in the BIOS. I've no idea how it was enabled in the first place as it's usually off by default, but i'm guessing it has something to do with the recent 1.50 BIOS update I installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
          Interesting, if the PC is shutdown (not sleeping) its a surprise (to me) that ISM could cause the PC to start.

Glad you fixed it though.
          I would agree, except remember what the default setting for the Chipset Configuration, Deep Sleep option is in the UEFI, Disabled. The description in the UEFI suggests using Disabled for "System stability", but now we can see what the real reason might be.

Perhaps Dehumidifier and/or Intel SC would not work when they are enabled, if Deep Sleep is not disabled.

My question is, with Deep Sleep disabled, and I assume Deep Sleep to be the S5 power state, then what power state is the PC actually in when we shutdown Windows when Deep Sleep is disabled? S4?

Comment

Working...
          X