X99 Extreme4 E-Sata problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X99 Extreme4 E-Sata problem

Hello. I am facing issues with my external E-sata hard disk the last days (S3_sata3 is free,1m E-Sata cable). Though it was working normally the first days (or looked like cause i didn't work it for a long time period) it started to disappear the last days after some minutes (2 or more while hdd still spinning). Windows 8.1 x64 power plan is checked and has hard disk power down disabled.
    I have installed for some games compatibility reasons the first days Windows XP on the external which was working okay, but now if I boot on them it will freeze after some minutes, so it's not an OS problem. The E-Sata will also disappear while on UEFI (though it still show on, if you let it on for some minutes and try to boot override on it, or exit uefi to let it boot on it, it will hang on Asrock boot logo.
    For some time I thought it may be a hdd problem, but I removed the hdd from case and placed it on one of the same controller internal sata ports (not s3_sata3 though, my bad) and all was fine. I even placed another hdd in E-Sata case, same problem. lastly, i also checked if it is a hdd case problem by testing it on a friends pc and no problem at all.
    I restore UEFI defaults just in case but nothing. I don't have any other E-sata case or E-sata cable to make tests but as I said above they don't look like they are the reason of my problem.
    Any help please will be appreciated :/ .

Re: X99 Extreme4 E-Sata problem

A short update:

My internal Blu Ray's burner Sata cable got a quite good beatdown while removing and re-attaching it a lot of times with the E-Sata's case hard drive because i needed to access it's files often. Today i started to loose the burner also (twice so far) after unbelievable 4+ hours of continuously pc power on time so i am starting to believe it is the cable and so it is on the E-Sata external. I order new cables and if when they come (fingers crossed) everything go well i will update.

Comment

CSAsr84, my eSATA device periodically doesn't get picked up (X99 Extreme4), but a little jiggle (removal/insertion) of the connector seems to get it going and then I don't have any issues. In your case, maybe some vibration is causing it to lose its connection. Definitely try swapping the cable out, but you may also want to double check the connection on both ends and try disconnecting and re-connecting it a couple of times.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I got a new 0.5m cable yesterday. At first tries hdd was disappearing also after 2-3 minutes on this. I had bought also a 1m Sata to E-Sata cable just in case and was working perfectly. After that i used the old 1m E-Sata and to my surprise the rest of the day it didn't disappear even when i was moving the case (and so the cable of course) while on. Today one time it got lost and reappeared instantly on his own while i used to had to turn off and on the case to reappear, but after that till now is ok. I am far from knowing if the problem is fixed temporarily or permanently and the cause of it...

Comment

Ok... Disappear party started again... HDD nor cable nor PC moved even 1 mm these days. Re-Flashing seems the last hope but if it fails i don't even want to think of getting on RMA way as except of being out of PC for weeks, i don't see how they can check the problem if it is so random. Sure Sata to E-Sata cable way works, but it's not the way the motherboard supposed to work to bear it.

Comment

Working...
          X