Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 OC formula won't boot - Red CPU-led

Hi.

First off, sorry for my poor english. I am building a new PC. After I have assembled it, it won't boot up. There is a red led on where it says CPU-led behind. On my monitor there is no picture. On the onboard LCDscreen on the motherboard it's just the ASRock logo (no error codes). I have disconected RAM, VGA and connectors to usb etc, leaving only these componets connected: Power to CPU, one SSD, power to the water pump, power to the ssd, and the atx connector. Still get the red cpu-led. I have tried to loosen the cpu block, with no luck. I have tried to different CPUs and two different Z87 oc formula MBs. The CPU is delidded, but there is no damage to the CPU.

MY PC:
    MB: ASRock Z87 OC Formula ac

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
    Memory: G.Skill Trident X F3 2400C10Q 32GTX
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum-1000
    SSD: Samsung 840EVO
    Watercooling: EK-KIT H3O 240 HFX with EK Supremacy PreciseMount Add-On Naked Ivy

The CPU is delidded with the "creditcard method" and the cpu is not damage.

I don't know what is wrong.

Any adivce or tips?

Re: ASRock Z87 OC formula won't boot - Red CPU-led

What BIOS version does your board have? There should be white stickers on the BIOS chips, just to the right of the Dr Debug display.

Your i7-4790K CPU need BIOS version 1.90 or newer or it won't work at all. This is shown in the CPU support list:

ASRock > Z87 OC Formula

Also, I am not familiar with the 1000W Seasonic PSU, but is the second eight pin CPU power cable that I see in the picture connected in the right place? It might be, but if it is connected to a video card/PCIe power output, that has the + and - connection reversed, and would cause a problem.

Comment

Since the MB is new and I have not yet been abel to boot, I have the BIOS that the MB came with (ver: 1.70). Is there a way to flash the BIOS without a up and running CPU? Or do I have to use anothet 1150 CPU that works with the 1.70 bios to be able to upgrade the bios?

Comment

No, no way to flash the BIOS without a running CPU. A few Asus boards have that feature, but they have an extra chip that allows that to work.

Yes you are stuck with getting another 1150 processor to do the flash. Or you could contact ASRock support and request a BIOS chip with the 2.10 BIOS. They are not difficult to replace.

Comment

Working...
        X